Black beans in red velvet mole with ginger-sweet potato mash - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this for the first time tonight - I reckon the leftovers will taste even better!

Mole recipe makes around 4 servings, the mash was enough for two.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 chipotle chilli, finely chopped
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp allspice
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
A couple of handfuls of raisins or sultanas
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp agave syrup
1 can black beans (approximate amount I used prepared dried beans)

Saute the onion for 5 minutes or so, then add the garlic and all the herbs/spices and fry for another minute. Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add the raisins or sultanas, cocoa powder and peanut butter and bring down to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced a bit.

Stick it in a blender and puree until smooth. Put it back in the pan and stir in the agave and black beans. Leave to sit for a while so the flavours can develop.

For the ginger-sweet potato mash, chop up one peeled sweet potato and one white potato into chunks and boil/steam until soft. Mash up with a little bit of soya margarine and ½ tsp of very finely chopped root ginger. Season with black pepper and a bit of salt.

Stick it all in a bowl and enjoy!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for posting this Nooch.
#3 Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

You're welcome

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM

This does sound delightful. I want to try it, but I don't have any chipolte peppers or smoked paprika. I do have some chipotle salsa though, and liquid smoke. Do you suppose some clever substitutions might work here?
#5 Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Thanks Nooch, I am going to try this!
#6 Old 04-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

This does sound delightful. I want to try it, but I don't have any chipolte peppers or smoked paprika. I do have some chipotle salsa though, and liquid smoke. Do you suppose some clever substitutions might work here?

I don't see why not - the orignal recipe called for 5 tsp normal chilli powder, I added the chipotle because I love the smoky flavour! So you could try just adding some liquid smoke and the full 5tsp of chilli. I've never had liquid smoke (it doesn't appear to be stocked anywhere where I live) so I will leave the amount for you to guess

Btw, I'm eating the leftovers right now - the sweetness has developed nicely. I'm having it on polenta with brocolli, yum!

#7 Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

I don't see why not - the orignal recipe called for 5 tsp normal chilli powder, I added the chipotle because I love the smoky flavour! So you could try just adding some liquid smoke and the full 5tsp of chilli. I've never had liquid smoke (it doesn't appear to be stocked anywhere where I live) so I will leave the amount for you to guess

Btw, I'm eating the leftovers right now - the sweetness has developed nicely. I'm having it on polenta with brocolli, yum!

I also love and use smoked chilli powder quite a lot when making marinades and sauces. I usually buy Bart's which is excellent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page