Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

6 cans tomato sauce (15 oz)

1 can tomato paste (12 oz)

1 onion finely chopped

4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)

1/8 cup dried oregano

1/8 cup dried basil

1 pkg soy veggie crumbles (Morningstar Farms recommended)

¾ cup vegan brown sugar

Instructions:

Cut hole in veggie crumble bag. Defrost in microwave for about 30 seconds. Add all of the items into crock pot and stir. Let cook on low heat all day. Serve over warm spaghetti.

Additional comments:

This is a family recipe that has yet to disappoint. The original version called for both ground beef and sausage, so if you'd like this sauce extra chunky, you can add sausage style crumbles to the sauce as well. I haven't tried it yet, but know it would be delicious.

Note: This makes a lot! Freeze in sandwich bags and thaw as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Whoa! That's a lot of sugar for pasta sauce!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

It seriously makes enough to feed more than 10 people though, maybe even up to 20. This is my favorite pasta sauce recipe ever and makes the house smell SOOO good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds delicious One question though... I never knew that some brown sugar wasn't vegan. Is that true?
#5 Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

It's true. Check out this site. Some companies, like C&H, use animal bone char to filter the sugar. Gross, I know.

My fav vegan brown sugar is Florida Crystals. Trader Joe's has a good one too. It's actually quite easy to find, in my experience. I bought a bag of the FC brown sugar for $2.75, not much more than the C&H brand. I'm not a vegan, but prefer to eat that way as much as possible.

And I promise, it's very delicious! I've given this recipe away on here a few times, but don't think anyone has tried it. Wish someone would. I'm telling you, it's great and makes the house smell OOHHHH SOOOO good
#6 Old 11-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

No I knew that about bone char but I though that only applied to white refined sugar. The bone char is what makes it white. So I'm still curious about brown sugar.

ETA: Ok so I found this... http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qasugar2.htm

I had no idea that brown sugar was just white sugar with mollasses. Still the sugar thing just irks me. I don't use honey cause I find that easliy avoidable. Refined sugar though.... that's tough.
#7 Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Yep. Powdered sugar is sugar and cornstarch. I actually didn't know about brown or powdered until recently. I really didn't think about it before then

Agree, refined sugar is very hard to avoid. Very. I bought agave nectar, but haven't tried it yet (in place of honey). As long as I'm baking the foods myself, I know that the sugar is vegetarian. When you go out to eat, that's another story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page