Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

4 cups soy milk

1/3-1/2 cup store bought soy yogurt w/ living, active cultures

Instructions:

Scald the soymilk on the stove top

Let it cool to under 100F (NOT CELSIUS!)

Wisk in the soy yogurt making sure that the soy milk isn't too hot to kill the living cultures

Place the mixture in a container with a lid on and put it in a warm spot

The mixture has to incubate in a environment of 80-110-ish degrees

Depending on how warm the area is, it will take 4-8 hours to produce the thickened yogurt

Additional comments:

I got this recipe off of this great website, http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index.htm

Here are some methods for incubating the yogurt taken directly from the site:

- Oven

"I culture my yogurt in my oven overnight. I've had the most consistent results this way. I turn my dial half-way between OFF and 200°, or at approximately 100°. Then I shut the door to the oven and let the yogurt sit overnight. In the morning I have perfect yogurt.

If your oven will not set at 100° then you can try turning it on 200° for two minutes, and then turning it off. About 4 hours later check the yogurt. If it isn't set yet then turn the oven on 200° for two minutes again to rewarm the oven. Allow the yogurt to set another 2 to 4 hours or until it is thick. Depending on your oven's insulation and the mean temperature of your kitchen you may need to rewarm the oven more frequently, or less frequently. Be sure not to leave the oven on, or your yogurt will be cooked not cultured"

- Heating pad

"Another method of incubation involves a heating pad and a large bowl or pot. Place a towel over the heating pad and set the heating pad on low. Place the prepared soy milk on top of the heating pad. Invert a large bowl or pot over the whole contraption, rather like a tent. This will keep the heat focused around the incubating yogurt."

- Insulated container

"A small insulated picnic cooler is my second favorite method. First make sure your yogurt jar or container will fit inside the cooler. Then run or pour hot tap water into the cooler a few inches deep. You want it to be about half way up the sides of your yogurt jar. Test the temperature with your finger. If it is lukewarm, great! If it is too hot then add cold water to cool it down. If it is too cold, then a little hot water (even boiling water if necessary) to bring the temperature up to a nice snuggly warmth, somewhere between 85° and 120°. Place your jar or container of prepared soy milk in the cooler and shut the lid. Allow it to sit, undisturbed, for about 4 or 5 hours. Check the yogurt. If it is thick and creamy, then it is finished. If it is still sort of thin, then it still needs to incubate longer. Pour off all of the water, which will be cool by now. Add new warm water and allow the yogurt to sit another 3 or 4 hours. It should be nice and thick and ready for refrigeration or consumption."

- Other

"If you have a gas oven with a pilot light it will usually keep the interior of the oven warm enough to incubate yogurt. Some people incubate their yogurt in a pot of warm water on top of a radiator or near a wood stove. The pot of warm water helps maintain an even temperature around the yogurt, giving you more reliable results. This is especially important if you incubate your yogurt close to draft or air conditioner. On hot days, or in warm climates, you may be able to incubate your yogurt in a warm spot on your porch or near a sunny window. Look around your house for the most likely incubation spots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2006, 09:36 AM

This sounds really good! Do you have to use plain soymilk, or can you use flavored?
#3 Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I wrap my jar in 2 tea cosies and put it next to my hot water heater overnight. My heater is in a closet so it stays pretty warm in there.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

There are a couple of points worth noting here. First of all, it is not necessary to scald the milk prior to making yogurt. Thats a throwback to the days before milk was pasteurized. In fact, its not even necessary to heat it at all. Try it some time. Just take cold milk straight out of the fridge, put it in the yogurt maker, add the starter, and come back half a day later. You will have yogurt. As soon as the yogurt maker warms the milk and culture to the appropriate temperature, the curdling process will begin.

Secondly, homemade soy yogurt is very thin and watery unless thickeners are added. Some good candidates would be agar, pectin, possibly tapioca, and carrageenan. The best one Ive found so far is low-methoxyl pectin. Adding this to the yogurt will produce a thick, custard-like yogurt similar to the commercial soy yogurts (such as Wildwood) that are obtainable in health food stores.
#5 Old 12-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

how about other nondairy milks?

oat, or rice. Possible?
#6 Old 12-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Making an educated guess I would say yes, but appropriate thickening agents would have to be added to obtain satisfactory results.
#7 Old 12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, you can make yogurt with other milks.

I haven't had very good results with making soy yogurt. It turns out too thin. I'll try it again with the thickeners.

You can flavor the yogurt by adding it to the milk before(to sweeten it), or after(like pureed fruits, etc). I've been using vanilla soymilk, so flavored milks should work finely.
#8 Old 08-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

In response to the above post, I've been having a lot of success recently making thicker soy yogurt. Instead of adding thickeners, I strain the yogurt through a fine mesh metal strainer, and the liquid comes right out. Or, you could let it sit in your fridge while it strains, and liquid will separate at the top, which you could just skim off. Do this a few times and the yogurt will thicken itself quite nicely. I am used to eating thin yogurt, which I find more palatable than the thick, custard-like commercial kinds. This is how yogurt was meant to be, so I have learned to get used to it.

Scalding the milk of your choice is not necessary, but heating the milk slightly on the stove top quicken the culturing process since it takes time for refrigerated yogurt to reach equilibrium with its surroundings and the heating just speeds it up a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page