Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Pie Crust: Plain Old Basic Pie Shell Recipe

Category: Desserts - Pie

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

10 inch one crust pie (note: I use this size recipe for all of my pies, even the 9 inch ones)

2-2/3 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup vegetable shortening OR coconut oil

7 to 8 tablespoons of ice cold water

Instructions:

Measure flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in shortening /coconut oil thoroughly with a couple forks or a pastry blender (most of you won't know what that is) until the mixture looks like little pebbles the size of a pea.

Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans sides of bowl (note: extra water may be needed, add one teaspoon at a time until little dry flour remains in bowl. Gather dough into ball (for two crust pie, separate dough into two equal halves) wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.

Some notes on rolling out your crust: roll out your chilled dough on a throoughly floured surface (preferably a pastry cloth) using a floured rolling pin.

Don't be afraid to use some force in rolling out your dough but be sure to maintain an even thickness, rolling out the thicker areas more than the thinner ones. You want your crust to form a rough circle and you may need to re-flour both your pastry cloth and rolling pin during this process. Keep a cup of cold water handy in case your dough tears.

In case of tears, you can use the water as a paste and patch the tear together again (dab both edges with water from your fingertip and smooth sides together.)

Once your dough is large enough fold gently into quarters and ease into ready pie pan. Unfold, center in pie plate, and fill with whatever filling you like. If you are wanting two crusts, follow the same process for rolling out the top crust and place gently on top of your pre-filled pie. Fold both edges of the pie over and inwards and pinch with fingers to form a traditional edge.

Cover with strips of tinfoil and bake according to recipe.

~~~~~~~~~~~

If you just end up with a crumbly mess, just press the dough into the pan as evenly as possible - and it'll still taste good, and be covered with the filling anyway!

Additional comments:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 AM

Heh. I was reading the directions above and saw "in case of tears" and thought of tears.

Sounds like me when I'm cooking some days.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought the exact same thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks... You have no idea how hard it is to find just the most basic recipe on the web sometimes because everyone is too busy giving their fancy spin on a recipe they assume everyone already has.
#5 Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys are so funny. I posted this a year ago and forgot about it. It's such a great recipe though...
#6 Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Where's the vinegar? Add a tablespoon or so, to keep it flaky. It breaks up the gluten strands to make it flakier, rather than doughy.
#7 Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

All I have is balsamic vinegar... wouldn't that turn the crust a funky color?

Seriously, I'd never heard of the vinegar thing until a year or so ago. I should try it and see, though I usually manage to get pretty flaky crusts. I've also heard sugar has some chemical reaction and makes the crust better (don't know what, why or how) - my Grandma SWORE by a bit of sugar in the crust but I could never get her recipe to work for me
#8 Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it fine to refrigerate the dough for more than an hour? I plan on doubling it for a pot pie recipe.
#9 Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the secret to great pie dough is to use ice cold water where water is called for. Just a tip.
#10 Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Shaman...that should be fine. I've made similar dough and refrigerated it overnight.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

Is it fine to refrigerate the dough for more than an hour?.

Yep. Just wrap well in plastic wrap or something to keep it from drying out. I've even made up one-shell crusts and frozen them ahead of time.
#12 Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

My crust turned out very nice! The usual recipe I use has always been quite oily. I doubled the recipe and only had to add two extra tablespoons of water and I probably only needed one. I made a 9 inch pot pie(crust on top of course) and had lots of extra dough. I think next time, whatever I am making, I will prepare extra filling and make mini pies with the leftovers.

Just a tip to those of you who bake alot: It's a very good idea to own a flour sifter and pastry cutter, if you don't already. Just scooping flour with a measuring cup gives way more flour than needed, which will effect your foods outcome, sometimes very badly.

Pastry cutters save lots of time when preparing scones, pie crust, etc. I have carpal tunnel, so using one of these makes it a whole lot easier on my hands too.
#13 Old 04-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Just a tip to those of you who bake alot: It's a very good idea to own a flour sifter and pastry cutter, if you don't already. Just scooping flour with a measuring cup gives way more flour than needed, which will effect your foods outcome, sometimes very badly.

SUCH a good point! I REALLY need to work on remembering this when sharing a recipe! I grew up making pastry and baking with all sorts of tools when I was very young, so they just seem a natural part of the kitchen like a spoon or fork. Sifting seems like an unnecessary step but it really isn't! Just the other day I was surprised to see someone press the flour down into the measuring cup.
#14 Old 01-14-2009, 08:39 PM

Is there a pie crust recipe that is actually healthy, e.g: it doesn't involve shortening or all purpose, bleached, enriched or white flour, and no lard.

It seems extremely hard to find a single one anywhere that satisfies the health nuts mind and heart.
#15 Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Goldberg View Post

Is there a pie crust recipe that is actually healthy, e.g: it doesn't involve shortening or all purpose, bleached, enriched or white flour, and no lard.

It seems extremely hard to find a single one anywhere that satisfies the health nuts mind and heart.

i doubt you'll find any recipes here containing lard, what with this being a vegetarian forum.

and did you not see that the recipe here didn't specify white flour (there is no reason why you can't use wholemeal flour if you want to) , and offered a coconut oil option?
#16 Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin-Goldberg View Post

You could always try making a raw ground nut crust instead.
#17 Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:

You could always try making a raw ground nut crust instead.

thanks for that idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i doubt you'll find any recipes here containing lard, what with this being a vegetarian forum.

and did you not see that the recipe here didn't specify white flour (there is no reason why you can't use wholemeal flour if you want to) , and offered a coconut oil option?

Sorry, I have adhd and missed that. I've looked high and low for a whole wheat flour crust but everyone online seems to say they usually come out awful. Also I forgot that people aren't vegetarians for health reasons only, hence the use of veggie shortening
#18 Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

...Just the other day I was surprised to see someone press the flour down into the measuring cup...

#19 Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

#20 Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Just commenting on my own recipe to add that I just discovered this makes great pot-pie crust. Yummmmm!
#21 Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes it does. I made a pot pie using this last Thanksgiving. It's a very good recipe.
#22 Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I havent use a single other recipe for crust since I found this! It's just so simple and good. Alot of others I have tried in the past are oily or extremely dry, this is spot on perfect!
#23 Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

♫♪♫♪ OK, I admit it, I love it when a recipe "works" for others too, ya know?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page