VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Desserts - Pies (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/44-desserts-pies/)
-   -   Butter Tarts ...apparently a Canadian thing? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/44-desserts-pies/136113-butter-tarts-apparently-canadian-thing.html)

vMaryv 06-20-2012 06:11 PM

A friend of mine requested "raisin pie" for her birthday and I had no idea what it was! Then I did some research and it's really butter tarts! But apparently it's a Canadian thing?!? I'm Canadian and only had my first butter tart a couple years ago.

ANYWAY I made some with Earth Balance instead of butter and they are FREAKING FANTASTIC. Here's the recipe if you want it:http://www.marystestkitchen.com/2012/06/vegan-butter-tarts/

Please let me know what you think or what other kind of pie I should try making.

buttertartcloseup.jpg

Werewolf Girl 06-20-2012 06:28 PM

That looks delicious! I'm Canadian and I remember being very surprised they don't have things like butter tarts and nanaimo bars in the US. Apparently all dressed chips is a Canadian thing too? Insanity tongue3.gif

vMaryv 06-21-2012 12:15 PM

Thanks Werewolf Girl!

Oh those poor deprived Americans! No nanaimo bars?! And all dressed chips are my favourite kind of chips!!! lol

VeganWoWer 06-21-2012 01:22 PM

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU SPEAK OF!!!  Ha ha.  I actually ordered from a website that sells Candian fare because of my sister being obsessed with a certain kind of cereal they discontinued here in the U.S.   Perhaps I will have to try these things you speak of.  I tried Australia's Tim Tams because of Hugh Jackman saying they were amazing and I now I see they are in many stores so maybe if you recommend them enough these things will catch on here.  Are they worth ordering?  Or just cult favorites?

VeganWoWer 06-21-2012 01:31 PM

or Canadian rather

vMaryv 06-22-2012 10:02 AM

Depends on which things you're thinking of, VeganWOWer. butter Tarts you have to get them fresh. Don't order them online. What an excuse to visit Canada! lol Nanaimo Bars...sure, they ship well. All Dressed chips? You have to try em! DE freaking LICIOUS

Limes 06-22-2012 10:19 AM

Butter tarts are amazing, I haven't had them since I lived with my parents.

Also apparently there's no ketchup chips in the US.  Old dutch ketchup are vegan! grin.gif Everyone must try them.

Werewolf Girl 06-22-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Butter tarts are amazing, I haven't had them since I lived with my parents.

Also apparently there's no ketchup chips in the US.  Old dutch ketchup are vegan! grin.gif  Everyone must try them.

I love ketchup chips, they need to spread to the rest of the world so they too can experience the joy drool.gif

vMaryv 06-24-2012 09:38 AM

I wonder what flavour chips Americans might have that Canadians dont....

Love ketchup chips too. They used to be my favourite as a kid ^.^

GingerFoxx 06-24-2012 06:26 PM

When I went to University in Canada for a year, I learned of several unique food phenomena that don't exist in the states. The first is selling milk in bags, instead of plastic jugs. This seemed odd to me at first, but from a reduced-packaging standpoint it makes a lot of sense. I reckon it would take a while to catch on over here though. The other is cream soda, which actually has different colors and flavors all over the world. The cream soda I grew up with tastes like vanilla, and is a golden brown color. The cream soda I discovered in Canada is pink, and more reminiscent of cotton candy.

vMaryv 06-28-2012 09:32 AM

Hehehe milk in bags. I'm from BC and we don't have milk in bags. I think it is an Ontario/eastern Canada thing. And I too have always been confused about our cream soda. It's pink so I expect a fruit taste, but it's called cream soda so I then expect a creamy vanilla type of taste. I was a very confused child.