Pumpkin Popcorn Crumble - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel that this recipe belongs in a subforum of it's own, entitled "the weird and the wonderful" or maybe "things you never thought would actually taste good".

I made this recipe for the Vegan/Chopped challenge (hosted by Isa Chandra). The challenge was to make a brunch dish involving all of the following ingredients: Butternut Pumpkin, Fresh Rosemary, Popcorn and Apricot Jam. Quite a challenge huh? This is what I made: Pumpkin and Rosemary Popcorn Crumble - sounds weird but it was actually REALLY delicious!

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/pumpkin-and-rosemary-popcorn-crumble.html

I also submitted a second entry - Lemon Rosemary Popcorn Cupcakes with Pumpkin Apricot Glaze. They were also quite nice although not quite as amazing as the crumble:

http://gormandizewithus.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/lemon-rosemary-popcorn-cupcakes-with.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Butternut squash or pumpkin?
#3 Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

That IS weird! I can see how it would be good though, the rosemary seems the strangest to me mixed with all the sweet things but I'd totally try it. It's certainly pretty looking.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

In my country it is called butternut pumpkin. I thought the use of 'butternut' would make it clear. Do you guys have something called a butternut pumpkin?

#5 Old 10-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm... I will look it up.

Found it!

Wikipedia explains: "Butternut squash (Cucurbita moschata), also known in Australia and New Zealand as butternut pumpkin, is a type of winter squash. It has a sweet, nutty taste similar to that of a pumpkin. It has yellow skin and orange fleshy pulp."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash

Americans call the veggie you used butternut squash. Pumpkins are a different kind of squash.

#6 Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I know that Americans call it squash. But I'm an Australian and it's all pumpkin to us.

#7 Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

As well as the Cinderella carriage variety, in the UK pumpkin is also generic term for 'gourds' or what you call 'squash' in the States. Now we get more varieties of these vegetable fruits in the supermarket, squash is the term more commonly used. But I think both are essentially interchangeable, particularly in the kitchen. 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

As well as the Cinderella carriage variety, in the UK pumpkin is also generic term for 'gourds' or what you call 'squash' in the States. Now we get more varieties of these vegetable fruits in the supermarket, squash is the term more commonly used. But I think both are essentially interchangeable, particularly in the kitchen. 

I love them all, squash, pumpkin, whatever we call them! It got a little cold here finally, so I'm stuffing acorn squash for dinner tonight. Are those acorn pumpkins down under?grin.gif
#9 Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I love them all, squash, pumpkin, whatever we call them! It got a little cold here finally, so I'm stuffing acorn squash for dinner tonight. 

Now I know how easy they are to grow, I'm going to try growing different varieties next year. Little ones would definitely be preferable to the monsters I've grown this year.

I'm going to do whole pumpkin stuffed with pumpkin and toasted walnut or almond risotto soon. I've also got a big bag of yellow split peas coming with my next wholefoods order, so thick golden soup is going to be on the menu for probably the rest of Autumn and Winter combined!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#10 Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I love them all, squash, pumpkin, whatever we call them! It got a little cold here finally, so I'm stuffing acorn squash for dinner tonight. 

Now I know how easy they are to grow, I'm going to try growing different varieties next year. Little ones would definitely be preferable to the monsters I've grown this year.

I'm going to do whole pumpkin stuffed with pumpkin and toasted walnut or almond risotto soon. I've also got a big bag of yellow split peas coming with my next wholefoods order, so thick golden soup is going to be on the menu for probably the rest of Autumn and Winter combined!

That sounds great to me. My mom often added either sweet potatoes or some winter squash/pumpkin to her split pea soup for sweetness. :thumbup:

Tonight I'm stuffing the acorn squash with brown and wild rice with portabella mushrooms, onions, celery, and probably some other stuff. smiley.gif
#11 Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

@ledboots I'm not sure about acorn, I don't think it's a variety that we get much down here - I've never seen it for sale. But I assume it would be pumpkin as well. This is the only thing that we call squash.

#12 Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Funny. Gourds for us are the decorative ones. The squashes that very few people would eat, the hard little ones.

And this is what we call yellow squash. That funky shaped one is called a scalloped squash in the US.

#13 Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM

Definitely one of the more unusual recipes I've seen but very intriguing.

#14 Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

That sounds delicious! lick.gif

I'm not a fan of pumpkin/squash in purees, but it do like the flavor. I definitly will make this!

Are pepitas pumpkin seeds hulled?

I will change the apricot for apple butter.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page