Sweet Potato Cookies! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Made these for my work colleagues today and it was a hit so I thought I'll share! It is relatively healthy with the oats and you can replace up to half the white flour with whole wheat flour. Chewy and more cake-like than the usual brittle and crunchy cookies.

Ingredients

A: Sift together

1 cup all-purpose flour

2/3 cups quick-cooking oats

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

B: Cream together, until light and fluffy.

1 cup granulated sugar (can be half brown sugar)

1/2 cup margarine

C: mix together

1/2 cup sweet potato puree

optional: 1 beaten egg or equivalent

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp cinnamon powder

pinch of nutmeg

D: Add as many of these options as you wish

2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped walnuts + 1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease baking sheets or use parchment paper. To B, add C and mix well. Add A and mix well. Finally add D and mix well. Drop by 1.5 tbspful. Using the back of a spoon, press down the dough into a circular shape. This cookie doesn't spread much so just make sure you realize that first. Bake for 15 minutes until slightly brown all over. Remove from oven and let rest for about 2-3 mins before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.

This will make about 18-20 (2.5" cookies). You can replace the sweet potato with pumpkin puree. Not a problem I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm, looks good!

*prints recipe*

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#3 Old 11-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Reading this recipe made me very happy.

I can't wait to try it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2003, 06:34 PM

Ooooo! I *love* sweet potatoes. Must try these!!
#5 Old 11-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

sweet...... potatoes....... yummmy........
#6 Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

So glad you guys enjoy my recipe. Let me know what you think of it okay?
#7 Old 11-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I baked these today, and I'm thrilled with them!

This is a teriffic recipe, and I didn't screw it up! It gets the ceryna idiotproof seal of approval. XD

Great job, Galinusa!

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#8 Old 11-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG! These sound amazing! I'm definitely going to try them! Thank you!
#9 Old 11-11-2003, 07:44 AM

I had a few cookies out of ceryna's batch, and they were awesome! So I want to make some now. My dumb question is: when you say sweet potato puree, does it come in a can pureed, or would I need to puree them?
#10 Old 11-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Beginner

I tried this yesterday, and they were quite good.

Missleigh- I pureed my own, but you have to make sure it's REALLY pureed, or you get a chunk of not-entirely-cooked sweet potato in the cookie...which tastes, well, interesting.
#11 Old 11-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought canned sweet potatoes and pureed them myself. I got the ones in light syrup, which lent additional sweetness to the cookies, I think.

Being the sweetaholic that I am, that was A-OK with me. ^^

ETA: I drained them before pureeing.

#12 Old 11-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I pureed my own sweet potatos - peel, cube, boil until very soft, drain, and blend in a food processor.

Like ceryna mentioned, you can also use canned sweet potatos, and maybe reduce the amount of sugar if you do not like the cookies to be oversweet.

I'm soo happy you guys enjoyed this recipe!
#13 Old 11-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever I make my Sweet Potato Pie for Thanksgiving I always end up with left over pureed sweet potatoes. This sounds like a great use for them!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 AM

I made these yesterday with pumpkin rather than sweet potatoes, and a few chocolate chips. They were great!!
#15 Old 12-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone ever used Earth Balance in place of margarine? I'm thinking of making these cookies using it. Also, would butternut squash work at all? They are somewhat similar to sweet potatos. The recipe looks yummy!
#16 Old 12-01-2003, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I made them and I just now ate three so as to be able to give an accurate review. I really like them! I did use Earth Balance and butternut squash, and it worked so I think you can be somewhat creative with these cookies here. I added walnuts and also the optional egg, so they weren't vegen. I don't really know of or have any egg substitutes and I tend to like stuff more cake-like, thus the egg-decision. They have a slightly crispy bottom and the rest of it tastes like a lovely, small spice cake. I brought some to our next-door neighbors and the guy loved them. I'd like to try them with half whole wheat flour and an egg substitute next time.

My husband told the neighbor that the cookies were vegan (my husband mistakenly assumed that they were) and the neighbor did not believe him at all (rightly so), but I would love to make delicious vegan desserts that shocked people with their goodness so if I could make these vegan then it would be exciting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page