Russian Tea Cakes (also: Mexican Wedding Cookies) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-11-2004, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Russian Tea Cakes (also: Mexican Wedding Cookies)

By: mikie

Category: Desserts - Cookies

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1 cup softened non-hydrogenated-if-you-know-what's-good-for-you margarine

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Instructions:

In a large bowl, blend the first four ingredients well. Add the flour in slowly at a low speed until just combined, then stir in the chopped nuts. Roll the dough into one inch balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets (they can be placed somewhat close to each other, because they won't flatten much during baking.) Bake in the oven at 350F for eight to 10 minutes, or until firm to touch. While warm, roll the balls in powdered sugar. After they're cool, roll them again before serving. Eat far too many.

Additional comments:

This is one of many Christmas cookies my mother would make every year. They're my favorite, and extremely easy to veganize: just use vegan margarine! They're also really easy and quick to make. I usually place the whole batch on a single cookie sheet.

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

they sound good

only i don't remember eating them in the old country
#3 Old 12-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh yay! My brother wants me to make these, they are his all time favorite cookies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

they are one of my favorite cookies, too. but i thought that russian tea cakes were a little different? like spiced differently, or something?
#5 Old 12-12-2004, 11:25 AM

What I've had served to me as Russian Tea Cakes, was also a bit different. More like what this recipe would yield.

Mikie's recipe does look a lot like cookies served here for Las Posadas.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 01-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

My family loves these.

I've made them twice, though, and both times they turned out, "too doughy" They're supposed to be sort of crunchy, right? I think I may not be baking them long enough.

They ARE supposed to be crunchy, correct? Or am I actually doing it right?
#7 Old 01-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you use this recipe or a different one? I've never had doughy ones before, but I'm not sure if "crunchy" is the word I'd use to describe them either. They're more like... chunky shortbread.

I've read in many recipes that they can be overbaked, but I'm not sure what that entails (other than brown bottoms), but I'd be careful about leaving them in too long. I take them out when they're firm to touch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page