Simple Sugar Cookies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2004, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Simple Sugar Cookies by http://www.vegcooking.com

Category: Desserts - Cookies

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup oil

1 Tbsp. vanilla

1 Tbsp. maple syrup

Egg replacer equivalent of 1 egg

Cinnamon and sugar, to coat

Instructions:

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a measuring cup (make sure theyre blended well). Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Using your hands form the dough into a big ball. (If it sticks together well, then its the right consistency. If not, add a bit of water and mix it well.) Form the dough into cookie-sized balls and roll them into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each ball a little bit. Bake at 375°F degrees for about 7 minutes.

Additional comments:

Makes about 18 cookies

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made this recipe, it's super delicious It makes cookies that are firm on the outside and soft on the inside, very good!
#3 Old 12-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

can this recipe be used to make cut-out cookies? If so, should I refrigerate it first and use flour instead of sugar/cinnamon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

hehe this is weird, I rarely make sugar cookies and i made them yesterday with this recipe and i see it for the first time here just after. but I got mine from vegweb.com/food. instead of 1/2 cup of oil they put 8 tablespoons. which is the same thing anyway I think but yeah it was written just a tiny bit differently. I would suggest a little bit less oil because I used 6 tablespoons instead of 8 and the dough was still quite oily.

Anyway using a little bit less oil and a little bit more flour, they came out really good. Although high in fat (when using canola oil) and not that many cookies (about 20) but still good. they didn't even look/taste like what you'd expect from a vegan cookie.

I think it will work to make cut-out cookies but it might be a little difficult depending on how much you tweak the recipe (more or less flour, oil etc.). I don't see why flour should be replaced, whatever coating you want I think you can use. If using flour though I'd just dip the top part of the cookies in the flour and let the bottom stay oily, but that's just me because the oil helps work as a substitute for a greased cookie sheet I think.
#5 Old 02-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Beginner

I made these cookies for Valentines Day. I used a banana in replace of the egg. I didn't dip them in cinnamon/sugar, but rather I kept the dough plain, broke off pieces with my hands, flattened them, and used a heartshaped cookie cutter.

When they were done, I whipped up some frosting, and painted the tops of them, then set them in the freezer for a half hour.

-Optional-

Frosting:

·3 tablespoons vegan margarine

·Dash of salt

·1/2 teaspoon vanilla

·1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

·1 teaspoon soy milk(may add more for consistancy)

****Frosting should be thick, not runny!****

This recipe is great! Since I used a banana, it flavored the cookie and I had several compliments on it. Try the banana as a replacer sometime! This recipe has my vote!
#6 Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Will these be good for a "Cookies for Carpooling" thing for Ecology club? I need some cookies that'll please my school.
#7 Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

yep!

my recommendation is to use a tidbit less salt than it says, though.
#8 Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Yum! I made two baches for my church's high school youth group, they were my experaments. They all loved the cookies! It made me happy to see that they were all chowing down on them, like they would with cookies made by there grandma. Then, they were offered chocalot chip cookies, and only ate a few of them!

Thanks so much! I can't wate to see how it works with the Cookies for Carpooling!

Jennifer
#9 Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 PM

these are basica;lly my favourite sugar cookie ever to make. theyre really easy too. and all my omnivore friends like them.
#10 Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Beginner

So glad you posted this recipe Michael, I was just thinking about finding a good recipe to make sugar cookies, today.

Do you think it would still work out right if I leave the maple syrup out?

I don't think I'd like that in a sugar cookie, it's tricky though it might mess

up the whole thing if I leave out an ingredient though. What do you think?

http://furryfriendsrescue.bravehost.com/
#11 Old 12-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

i got lots of compliments on them at a christmas party last weekend.

i bought some christmas baking stencils and some green and red coloured sugar to decorate them. i did half with the sugar and stencils and half with the sugar and cinnamon as recommended. both ways turned out really yummy. i'm making more.. lots more

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 12-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgirl252729 View Post

I made these cookies for Valentines Day. I used a banana in replace of the egg. I didn't dip them in cinnamon/sugar, but rather I kept the dough plain, broke off pieces with my hands, flattened them, and used a heartshaped cookie cutter.

When they were done, I whipped up some frosting, and painted the tops of them, then set them in the freezer for a half hour.

-Optional-

Frosting:

·3 tablespoons vegan margarine

·Dash of salt

·1/2 teaspoon vanilla

·1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

·1 teaspoon soy milk(may add more for consistancy)

****Frosting should be thick, not runny!****

This recipe is great! Since I used a banana, it flavored the cookie and I had several compliments on it. Try the banana as a replacer sometime! This recipe has my vote!

Thank you!

I was sitting here thinking how I could get around not using an egg.

Do you think hazelnut milk would work?
#13 Old 01-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I made these tonight. VERY yummy. I used 1/2 banana as an egg substitute. I will caution that they come out very oily in the listed proportions, so I'll try my next batch with less. I also make them a bit larger than recipe, so I will increase my bake time to at least 10 minutes.

Thanks Michael!
LL
#14 Old 01-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Nice presentation!

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

this is perfect timing. I have been looking everywhere for a vegan sugar cookie recipe that doesn't use margarine (i'm not spending 5 bucks on a teensy thing of vegan margarine!). If I can find autumn shaped cookie cutters I will try this recipe tonight...

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#16 Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM

I didn't want to use 1/2 of vegetable oil in cookies (need a little more flavor than that) so I opened a new jar of organic peanut butter and harvested the oil from the top. I got almost 1/3 of a cup of super flavorful peanut oil and adjusted the amounts of the other ingredients to match but didn't roll them in sugar and cinnamon prior to baking. Woohoo - peanut butter sugar cookies.
#17 Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 PM

Sugar craving + upcoming christmas with family = Ethan looking for some dang cookies.

I'm really excited for this. Anything besides banana ya'll can think of as a good egg replacer? I think i'm going to experiment with some sort of peanut butter concoction.
#18 Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 PM

I used mashed sweet potato. Turned out really well. Just over 1/3 c.
#19 Old 12-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

*Bump*

Just made these. I used the given recipe + 2 Tablespoons of Vegan Margarine- this made the mixture a little bit less crumbly so that I could shape it using cookie cutters I know have Christmas tree shaped cookies! Yay!

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#20 Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow... These biscuits taste excellent. They are superb...

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#21 Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Made these today and they are delicious! The batch won't last more then 30 minutes.
#22 Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any egg replacer. Could I use, say, apple sauce?
#23 Old 12-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Did they hold their shape well? I'm trying to find the perfect vegan sugar cookie recipe for today.
#24 Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Did they hold their shape well? I'm trying to find the perfect vegan sugar cookie recipe for today.

mine do, and they are so good! It is the best sugar cookie recipe I have tried.
#25 Old 12-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

I ended up using another recipe, but I'll definately keep this post saved, I want to try these.
#26 Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

These were a huge hit at christmas this year! I think I ended up making 3 batches and they disappeared fast!!
#27 Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

Wow, these really are to die for. They're not even cool yet and my mum and I have had 7 between us
#28 Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I've alread eaten 2 warm ones. This is a very simple recipe and good!

*going to get another cookie*
#29 Old 03-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you use brown sugar instead of white sugar in any/all of these?
#30 Old 03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazilnut View Post

Can you use brown sugar instead of white sugar in any/all of these?

I searched online and all I could find was substituting white for brown, here's what I found:

If it is the molasses that you resent, you can simply use white sugar in place of brown. But pure white sugar essentially has no flavor other than sweetness, so if you use it in place of brown sugar, what you're making will have less and possibly significantly less flavor. Brown sugar also adds more moisture to a dish than white, so, depending on what you're making, the result may also be drier.

So just think of it the opposite. I think it may make the cookies softer... which may or may not be a good thing. If you try it out, let us know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page