Chocolate Chip Cookies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Chocolate Chip Cookies by http://www.vegcooking.com

Category: Desserts - Cookies

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

2 3/4 cup flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 cup margarine

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

Egg replacer equivalent of 2 eggs (Ener-G Egg Replacer works best, but you can also mix together 2 tsp. cornstarch and 1/4 cup water)

12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda.

In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and egg replacer mixture. Stir in the flour mixture and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix.

Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Additional comments:

Makes approximately 40 cookies.

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2005, 03:51 PM

I am making these now. Me thinks that the recipe is a bit hefty on the margerine.
#3 Old 01-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds about right actually. The recipe I use has 1 cup of margarine and 1 cup of sugar and they turn out perfection!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2005, 04:22 PM

I used 3/4 of a cup, but there was sure a lot of batter. I just made 5 small to medium sized cookies and am freezing the rest of the batter or else I'd probably eat like 50 cookies tonight. I used all WW flour.
#5 Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm mainly interested in trying "tried-and-true" or "personal favorites" recipes from these boards, so I'm glad someone's tried these and I have an idea about how they turn out...

There's an awful lot of the "cut and paste" recipes posted here and I find those are very often the kind that I end up making and dumping 'cause they weren't really all that good.

I wish more people would be the guinea pigs and try the recipes for me!
#6 Old 01-28-2005, 04:18 PM

I made these and they turned out fine. This recipe does make an aweful lot of batter so I made some and then put th rest in the freezer. Every other day I take enough out to make 3 medium sized cookies. I still have enough to make about 8 more cookies since I made my initial post.

Basically, this recipe is as good as any I have used before. There is a better one which calls for plain soymilk in the recipe, though.
#7 Old 01-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you use the one off of the silk site FR? Ceryna sent me some of those a while back and now that's the only recipe I ever bake. Plus for folks who don't bake a lot you don't even need egg replacer.
#8 Old 01-28-2005, 05:27 PM

I used the one used at Wild Oats.

I'll have to check out Silk's website for their recipe.

I do modify all of the cookie recipes and whole wheat four. I am open to try other whole grain flours in place of WW, but I will never use plain white flour.

I am a big cookie fan.
#9 Old 01-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It's called Akasha's Chocolate Chip Cookies and the link is on this page: http://www.silkissoy.com/index.php?id=16&cid=11

I have never tried these with WW flour. They make such tasty cookies with unbleached AP flour, that I haven't deviated yet. Lemme know if they turn out!

My favorite cookie - which I also use AP flour in - is Kreeli's snickerdoodle recipe off of http://www.veganmania.com/. Those are the best vegan cookies I've had so far.
#10 Old 01-28-2005, 05:38 PM

The whole wheat flour tends to have a "grainier" texture, but they are much healthier. I figure if I am going to eat a snack, it might as well be healthy. This way no one can say the cookies I make are vegan junk food, they are actually healthy!
#11 Old 01-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw this recipe.. I love cookies too so I always lower the fat content significantly.. usually I'll use no more than a bit over 1/2 cup in a recipe that makes about 40 medium size cookies so that I can eat more cookies at a time and not feel "guilty".. yes they probably taste a heck lot better with 1 whole cup of margarine or oil though.. just can't make myself stick to eating such few cookies at a time
#12 Old 01-28-2005, 05:45 PM

I used less margerine (Earth Balance) than the recipe called for and they came out fine. I have also had chocolae chip cookies made without sugar (turbinado) before and they were just as good, too.
#13 Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I use the regular Toll House recipe when I make chocolate chip cookies, subbing half Earth Balance margarine, half Earth Balance shortening for the butter.

I also use Tropical Source chips and egg replacer. I'm told they taste just like the 'normal' ones. I think it's important not to let them cook too long, then they stay soft and yummy...
#14 Old 01-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG FalafalsRule you HAVE to post the Wild Oats chocolate chip cookie recipe!! Those are my fave and while I've made a few different pretty-good cc cookie recipes (vegan), those are STILL the best methinks...

DO tell

Cheers!
#15 Old 01-31-2005, 04:25 AM

I don't know if I can.

Try the one listed on their website designed for gluten free diets (if you are not gluten intolerant, use 1 cup of any flour of your choice):

http://www.wildoats.com/u/recipedetail10220/

* skip the egg and use 3/4 cup of plain soymilk instead. The vanilla extract and chocolate ships do not have to be gluten free.

* use vegan chocolate chips, Tropical Source is a good brand.
#16 Old 01-31-2005, 04:43 AM

Oh yeah, sub the butter with Earth Balance.
#17 Old 01-31-2005, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

You could also use one mashed banana instead of the margarine. If you like banana, anyway.
#18 Old 01-31-2005, 04:19 PM

You could, but the flavor bananas tend to produce in baking overpower a lot of the other flavors.
#19 Old 01-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Ay...I am no celiac

Whatever I'll have to try the recipe anyway I guess...though the stores here make specifically vegan choc. chip cookies...*sigh* Thanks still

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page