Banana Oatmeal Cookies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Banana Oatmeal Cookies by rabid_child

Category: Desserts - Cookies

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

1 cup softened shortening (i.e. earth balance)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 banana, pureed

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cups whole wheat flour

3/4 cups white flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

pinch nutmeg

3 cups oats

1 cup chopped dates

Instructions:

Cream the shortening and sugars. Add the banana and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Drop tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cookies to cool completely before removing from cookie sheet. Yields 5 dozen.

Additional comments:

I invented this recipe out of my Nana's oatmeal cookie recipe. It has a nice banana bread taste and a chewy texture! They set as they cool so really, as good as they smell, don't touch them until they're at least mostly cool!

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome! I'm always looking for ways to use up my spotty old bananas!

Thank you!
#3 Old 09-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

RC this recipe is fantastic ... I made it at the weekend and didn't feel in the least bit guilty eating the cookies because of all the fruit and oats in them

One thing I would say is that this mixture came out quite dry for me, so I wasn't spooning the mixture so much as using my hands to make balls of dough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm guessing the size of the banana would affect the moisture in the cookie! Might have to have an extra 1/4 banana or so reserved next time just in case its a bit dry!! I want to try substituting the banana for pureed pumpkin next time, and add in pumpkin pie spices, and see if it'll make a pumpkin pie oatmeal cookie!

And I mailed some of these to a friend of mine who always complained about how awful his mom's vegan cookies came out, and he actually asked to send more! (I love 'em too!)

#5 Old 09-20-2004, 11:52 PM

Mm they sound/look really good! You wouldn't happen to know the nutritional information of those by anychance? Like the calorie content or anything? If not doesn't matter!
#6 Old 09-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry, I don't. It started as my nana's oatmeal cookies, and I changed them a bunch. They're good enough for you! I guess you could figure out the count on each ingredient, add it up, and divide by 60... if you were really curious

#7 Old 09-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Sorry, I don't. I guess you could figure out the count on each ingredient, add it up, and divide by 60... if you were really curious

that sounds too much like work! and then i'd have to eat extra cookies to make up for it! i can't wait to try it though....
#8 Old 09-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I added most of the ingredients up, and just a general estimate is 105 calories per cookie :-D

rough estimates (1850+820+400+120+500+650+1850+miniscule calories)/60= about 105

ETA: there's also around 4 g fat, 15 carbs, and 2 gram of protein per cookie!! yay for math
#9 Old 09-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

These cookies are amazing Between my dad and myself, they were both gone within a day
#10 Old 09-25-2004, 05:05 PM

Hah crazy stuff.. thanks brownie!

Im gonna make some later.
#11 Old 09-26-2004, 03:14 PM

Yeah these cookies are wicked! Mine could have been cooked a little bit longer though.
#12 Old 09-29-2004, 01:38 AM

They are wicked!

My cat loves them too. He just ate 1/4 of one (which is weird for him because he doesn't like any "people foods"). Hope they aren't too bad for him! Hah!
#13 Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I just substituted chocolate chips for the dates and added a little water to make them less dry and they turned out fantastic! I'm lacto-ovo not vegan but am trying to experiment with more vgena baking. I'm also trying to introduce my family to vegan recipe and they're in love with these cookies! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page