1 teaspoon vanilla extract

(seperate puddingy ingredients)

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 cups boiling water

Instructions:

------------------------------------------------------

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Stir together flour, baking powder, cocoa, salt, margarine, milk, and vanilla and put it in the pan you are going to bake it in.

For the puddingy top,

First get your pan as close to the oven as you can get it, you don't want to be carrying the pan around after you put the boiling water in.

Mix together sugar and cocoa and sprinkle onto the top of the mixture. Pour boiling water on the top of everything. DON'T MIX! Just put it in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.

Additional comments:

------------------------------------------------------

This cake is great for the chocolate lover.

After it's done I would recommend letting it cool completely before you eat it, because otherwise it would be watery instead of puddingly (good, but hard to eat/serve)

Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Vez

My mum used to make a very similar (non-vegan) pudding, with the same topping and everything, but it cooked in the microwave. Hmmm...
#3 Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM

this cake is so good the only bad thing was that my mom ate almost the whole thing, and didn't leave me much lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

What size pan do you use? Just a normal round cake pan?
#5 Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

This seems almost too easy...
#6 Old 06-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Beginner

Oh my… I’ll have to test out this recipe some time. I don’t have the stuff right now to make it, but it sounds delicious just thinking about it.

Do you know how many calories and such that making this would amount to?
#7 Old 06-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Sounds delicious! Just what I needed.
#8 Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm, death by chocolate...can't think of a better way to go
#9 Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Beginner

I just tried this cake today, made it as soon as I got out of work. It's wonderful, I can't get enough. I think I may have to go back to the dentist soon tho, haha.
#10 Old 06-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I made this cake last night and it turned out really good. My omni boyfriend ate more of it than I did!

I left the cake in the oven for only thirty minutes. I have a gas oven and they tend to cook things really quickly. I think I'll leave it in for less time the next time I make it. I kind of like the pudding layer! lol I also doubled the recipe since I didn't have a small pan.

I've still got half the cake left at home!
#11 Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

This looks so easy! I'm gonna try it when I've eaten up all the cookies I made today
#12 Old 06-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Beginner

I found it to be pretty good aswell with some chopped up almonds on top and in the batter itself (not a whole lot). It came out great, I needed the extra little crunch.
#13 Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Had a disaster making this, but it was all my fault!

I used a tin to put the mixture in, you know one of those ones where the bottom lifts up? Well, popped it in the oven, checked 5 minutes later and saw a pool of chocolatey water at the bottom of the oven. Went crazy, cleaned up the mess, transferred it to a casserole dish and ended up mixing everything up in the process.

It still came out quite nicely, a little dry but it wouldn't have been if the top was done properly. I will make this again and I won't use that stupid tin
#14 Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Beginner

The tin thing isn't that bad as long as you remember to rub oil or something on it so that it doesn't stick. I'm not sure exactly what you'd use exactly.

I use just a normal glass cake dish to make my cakes. I love cooking so I have a wide variety. My experiences with Tin pans are kind of bad, really bad...
#15 Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Aye, I don't like tins much. I'm so sure this would have been perfect if the bottom hadn't done it's leaky thing. I'd remembered to grease it and everything! Oh well. I'll probably have another go next week and do it in the same glass dish I ended up using.

Can't wait
#16 Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM

Omg! I have everything listed. I was going to wait until I get some vegan cookbooks before making desserts.. but I'm gonna make this once I get home.
#17 Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamry View Post

Had a disaster making this, but it was all my fault!

I used a tin to put the mixture in, you know one of those ones where the bottom lifts up? Well, popped it in the oven, checked 5 minutes later and saw a pool of chocolatey water at the bottom of the oven. Went crazy, cleaned up the mess, transferred it to a casserole dish and ended up mixing everything up in the process.

It still came out quite nicely, a little dry but it wouldn't have been if the top was done properly. I will make this again and I won't use that stupid tin

I would have totally used a tin like that unless youd posted! Ive also had it jammed before and pushed so hard the cake went flying. Those tins need to be banned haha.

Might make this tomorrow when I'm bored, got all the ingredients already!

Would it fit in a normal 7" cake tin thats really thin? me only other tin is that evil one
#18 Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I use to make this a LONG time ago! Well, the non-vegan version of it. I must try this soon though it sure won't help the diet much.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#19 Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

This cake is lovely. The sponge is nice and moist and the topping soaked through and made a squidgy chocolately layer at the bottom. It's well worth a try!
#20 Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Beginner

i need to try this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page