Absurdly Easy Chocolate Cake - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#61 Old 05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I use canola and it turns out great every time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 05-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I also use canola oil and it's really yummy. Happy birthday to your son
#63 Old 05-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Am confused by the English terms. Is Canola the same as Rapeseed? (I think this is what we call "colza" in French.)

Unfortunately, I'm out of Colza. I'll have to use Grapeseed instead. I use Grapeseed for most of my cooking at high temperatures. It does not have a strong taste but is very healthy. It is high in antioxidants and it reduces cholesterol as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 05-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, canola is rapeseed oil. I'm sure any mild flavored oil would work.
#65 Old 05-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished baking this cake. As others suggested, I added an extra 2 tbsp of cocoa. I haven't tasted it yet (it's still cooling) but it smells delicious!

I'll be taking this as "my" dessert at my family's lobster boil pot luck tomorrow (I refuse to be present while they cook the poor things alive). I'm hoping to feed it to the omnis and then tell them there was no milk or eggs in it
#66 Old 05-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this cake tonight, and omg it is soooooooooooo good!!!!! I used canola oil........and the only vinegar i had in the house was balsamic......LOL......so thats what i used but you would never know it!!!!

yum yum yum
#67 Old 05-14-2006, 04:12 AM
Vegan Police Officer

The cake is in the oven. However, I believe there must be a mistake with the conversion from cups to grams for the flour. 680 grams of flour for a cake would be enough to feed an army. I put in 300 which already seemed a lot. Also, 450 grams of sugar in a cake sounds like it would be the sweetest cake in the whole world. I put in 200 grams only. Either there is a problem with the conversion, or else North Americans eat a lot of sugar.
#68 Old 05-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Okay, so the cake came out of the oven. It is a bit soggy. But then again, it is probably undercooked because I think I heated the oven too much (I have a funny oven) so it started burning and I had to remove it before the 30 minutes were up.

It tastes good even if it is a bit soggy.

I still think though that the flour conversion into grams is wrong. And the sugar content I put in was fine. If I had put 450 grams it would have been sickeningly sweet.

According to this website http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm , 3 cups of flour is 125 grams times by three which would equal 375 grams, and not 680. (Like I said, 680 grams of flour is enough to feed a small army!) I only put in 300 grams but next time I'll put a bit more.

I double-checked on another converter website as well.
#69 Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I followed the recipe using cups, i used about 1 3/4 c of sugar instead of 2 cups only because thats what i had left!

anyway my cake came out perfect! and yes maybe some americans eat a lot of sugar but i think a cake is supposed to be sweet!
#70 Old 05-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I cooked this cake for about 40 minutes instead of the recommended 30, and even still one of the layers came out as slightly undercooked. We just tried the cake and it is delicious. Even my skeptical mother admitted it was very good
#71 Old 05-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Actually, now that the cake has cooled down (I tasted it when it was still warm), it's not soggy anymore. It's great. I will add a wee bit more flour but not more sugar. I prefer my chocolate cakes to taste of chocolate and not of sugar.

But I must PM Michael to tell him that there's something wrong with his converter.
#72 Old 05-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

The chocolate cake was a hit with the omni family

One of my crazy uncles, who used to make fun of me relentlessly for being a vegetarian (and who has now admitted to starting to move towards vegetarianism by giving up red meat - still not sure if he is pulling my leg or not), kept going back for more cake, exclaiming "It's VEGAN! I can eat as much of it as I like" I didn't have the heart to tell him it didn't work that way
#73 Old 05-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Fyvel: that is very funny. Your uncle sounds like quite a character!
#74 Old 05-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Beginner

Man I have such a love/hate relationship with this cake - it's sooooo good, but I always eat wayyy too much of it!

Anyway, made it tonight with a little twist - I usually like it without any frosting or anything, but this time to sweeten it up a bit I added vegan chocolate chips. I was worried that since the batter is so runny the chips would just sink to the bottom. My mom said that rolling the chips in flour would keep them from doing that, but I thought that might taste funny - so I rolled them in cocoa powder and it worked great! All the chips just kind of floated on top of the batter and melted into gooey goodness when it cooked. Yum!!
#75 Old 05-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I make a version of this recipe from Moosewood Cooks at Home called Six-Minute Chocolate Cake, and it's almost identical (only it's about half the size).

They have a variation where you substitute coffee for half the water for a mocha cake.

They also have a simple but decadent chocolate glaze that's great on it (you make it while the baked cake is cooling):

1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate

3/4 cup hot water, milk, or half-and-half

1/2 tsp vanilla

After baking the cake, reset the oven to 300 degrees F and let it cool down. Then melt the chocolate in a small ovenproof bowl or a heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and the vanilla into the chocolate until smooth. Spoon over the cooled cake. Chill the glazed cake for at least 30 minutes. (I'm sure that if you were in the mood, you could put the coffee in the glaze and have chocolate cake with mocha glaze-- mmm, my childhood favorite!)

We made it with homemade vegan half-and-half -- half Silk Creamer and half Silk Unsweetened-- and it was great!
#76 Old 08-22-2006, 04:59 AM

omg this cake was soooo yummy ..thank you Michael
#77 Old 08-31-2006, 06:24 PM

This

Is t

The

BEST

Chocolate

Cake

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, out of any cake, omni or no, that I have ever tried, this one takes the cake!

I made icing for it, too, but the bread is just scrumptious! I made a slight modification to the recipe. Instead of 2 cups of water, I used 1 cup of vanilla soymilk and 1 water. So then I only added one tsp vanilla extract...and...oh, I used 7 tbsps of cocoa...lol, what can I say? I LOVE chocolate! Thanks so much to the original poster for posting this!
#78 Old 09-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

AWESOME cake, but I burned it a little bit...

I guess I'll have to put it in for longer at a lower temperature? Anyone have a good time/temp. that works?
#79 Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

AWESOME cake, but I burned it a little bit...

I guess I'll have to put it in for longer at a lower temperature? Anyone have a good time/temp. that works?

I just cooked it at 350F.. never really timed it, just kept checking it and took it out when a toothpick came out clean. Maybe your oven runs hot? You could try turning it down to 325F next time. Or maybe the rack was placed too high or too low? It should be about in the middle.

As a side note: I made this for my mom's birthday last weekend and she had two helpings of it. My mother rarely has dessert at all.. for her to have two helpings is quite a feat!
#80 Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're burning things when baking them at the temperature the recipes calls for, you may want to invest in an oven thermometer. It's very common for oven thermostats to be inaccurate. Mine runs 50 degrees hot, which can mean the difference between undercooked and burnt. Oven thermometers are inexpensive, and you can get them at stores like Target or Walmart.
#81 Old 09-14-2006, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

It wasn't really burned... Just a little crisp on the outside bottom corners. I did keep it in a little longer than the recipe says, but the middle wasn't done otherwise.

Ah well, it still tastes wonderful.
#82 Old 09-14-2006, 04:29 AM

I think I am going to try this today(as cupcakes). Thanks for the recipe. It sounds delightful.
#83 Old 09-20-2006, 03:04 PM

I took this to work today for my friend's birthday - my first attempt at a vegan cake. I was too lazy to buy ingredients for frosting, so I sprinkled it with powdered sugar and topped it with sliced strawberries. Yum! Everyone at work kept complimenting me on how moist it was and wanted to know the secret.
#84 Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applescruff View Post

I took this to work today for my friend's birthday - my first attempt at a vegan cake. I was too lazy to buy ingredients for frosting, so I sprinkled it with powdered sugar and topped it with sliced strawberries. Yum! Everyone at work kept complimenting me on how moist it was and wanted to know the secret.

Oooh, what a great idea! Yum!
#85 Old 09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm am baking this cake as i type this, i'm gonna take it to my grandma's for her birthday. i hope it's good.
#86 Old 11-14-2006, 08:54 AM

I just had to add (like I had to) that this recipe was so good. I made it this past Saturday since I was having tons of people coming in and out of the house (lots of kids) and I wanted to have a treat for them since our field trips had been cancelled that day. I made them into cupcakes and sprinkled the tops with chocolate chunks before putting them in the oven. Absolute perfection. Everyone loved them. Even my very anti-veggie 100% carnivore brother-in-law. Only my family is vegan and everyone else was omni. They kept coming and grabbing the cupcakes. Thanks for posting this excellent recipe. Now I have a recipe for b-days and stuff.
#87 Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Made these as cupcakes for Valentine's Day and they were AMAZING! Everything turned out perfectly.

Even days later they were still moist and soooo delish!

Thanks for the recipe!

~sk
#88 Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrk View Post

I liked this cake, but I added two more teaspoons onf cocoa.I used PETA's wicked vegan fudge recipe as icing, I thought it was reaaly good.

I'm planning on making this cake, and I've got PETA's "A** Kickin' Fudge" in the fridge. I was planning on using it as icing because it didn't get hard enough to be fudge!
#89 Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM

I've made this before and it's good! My mom made it for my birthday this year and she put in a chopped up chocolate bar and frosted it with chocolate frosting which made it delicous!!
#90 Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 PM

Thank's for posting it!

I made it and it was very good!

Tags
vegan-cake , Amys-Orange-Cake , Amys-Chocolate-Cake , Amys-Gluten-Free-Pound-Cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page