Raw Vegan Hummingbird Cake - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 PM

This vegan version of the vintage Southern classic is so pretty and decadent, with natural sweetness of carrots and dates studded with ambrosial mix of pineapple chunks, raisins, coconut flakes, and topped with maple-almond icing. Its flavor notes are warm spices and vanilla.

Decorate with coconut flakes, flowers, or "hummingbird feathers" for extra sweetness. Try it for Valentine's Day! :)

Full recipe is here

beanspud likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 AM

Wow, what are the feathers?  They look so real, it's creeping me out ^_^

This sounds amazing.  I love raw desserts.

#3 Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 AM

NO! those are craft feathers for scrapbooking, etc. in real life you can tell it's made of synthetic material. 

I love raw desserts too. once you get out of the notion that dessert = flour and sugar, it frees you up for so much possibilities! :D I was really proud of this one. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Hello Juhea Kim,

After the fairytale princess was cast out by the evil Queen, she was rescued by 7 dwarfs and eventully met a handsome vegan, who asked her for "Raw Vegan Hummingbird Cake" my kinda food..

STAY HAPPY:vebo:

#5 Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM

haha that is the best!! thank you starman10!

#6 Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhea Kim View Post

NO! those are craft feathers for scrapbooking, etc. in real life you can tell it's made of synthetic material. 

Oh, I've never seen synthetic craft feathers before.  I've been looking for that!

Can you tell me what brand they are, or where to buy them? :)

Quote:
I love raw desserts too. once you get out of the notion that dessert = flour and sugar, it frees you up for so much possibilities! :D I was really proud of this one. 

yeah, flour and sugar are both so bland for deserts; it's just the richness of flavor of all of the fruits and nuts- it makes such a big difference in a treat.

#7 Old 02-12-2014, 02:40 PM

I don't really remember what brand they are but I got them at an art supply store in nyc a long time ago. But i feel as though they'd be available at michaels, Blick's, etc. Good luck!!

#8 Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

I've only seen dyed chicken, duck, etc. feathers in art supply stores.  They're often called fake or artificial, but they are made from real feathers (just faking a different kind of feather, or artificially colored).

I've looked around on the net, and the only legit synthetic feather hits I see are gigantic feathers (because those can not be gotten more cheaply from chickens), and fun-fur-like fake feather boas.

I also found an art piece that used 3d printed feathers (which was impressive, but certainly very expensive).

Most of the hits for synthetic feathers I'm getting are "synthetic"/"fake"/"artificial" -insert bird species here (eagle, dove, quail, etc)- feathers which are made from synthetic dyes and real chicken or duck feathers.

I've spent hours searching online, and I'm not a novice internet user by any means ;)

Not to be a pain, but I feel like somebody has shown me a picture of bigfoot here.  I'm a little skeptical.  If this is a real thing, I want to know about it, because I haven't used craft feathers since I was a wee child because all the ones I have ever seen come from animals.

#9 Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Um, excuse me, are you accusing me of lying? 

I can't believe the negativity of some people. And I can't believe I actually bother to show you this photo, but here is the gigantic fake feather i used. I cut off the top part to use it as decoration for the cake. as you can see the quill part is made of shiny plastic. if it doesn't show that shiny, vinyl look on photo, I'm sorry you're still a skeptic. But I don't have time to convince every busybody I'm telling the truth. 

#10 Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Um, excuse me, are you accusing me of lying? 

No.  Why would you lie about this?  Why would you accuse somebody of accusing you of lying? :confused:

Chill out, nobody's accusing you of lying.

I just don't believe artificial craft feathers exist, because I've never seen them, and I can not find them on the internet.

I don't believe bigfoot exists either, but if somebody said they saw one, I wouldn't think they were lying.  I would think they were honestly mistaken, which is a HUGE difference.

Maybe big foot does exist- but until I see evidence for myself, I'm a skeptic.

Plenty of people use non-vegan things by mistake on occasion.  We're all human, and I've mistaken non-vegan things for being synthetic too.

If there are artificial feathers out there that look that good, I'd really like to see them.

Quote:
I can't believe the negativity of some people. And I can't believe I actually bother to show you this photo, but here is the gigantic fake feather i used. I cut off the top part to use it as decoration for the cake. as you can see the quill part is made of shiny plastic. if it doesn't show that shiny, vinyl look on photo, I'm sorry you're still a skeptic. But I don't have time to convince every busybody I'm telling the truth. 

I'm not a busybody, thank you.  And I can't believe you're being this defensive and insulting.

I welcomed you, I think your uncooked dessert looks fantastic, and I loved your site.  I thought you were nice.

It looks like a feather to me.  Some feathers are treated and look shiny.

That doesn't mean its impossible that it's synthetic, but based on my experience, I will remain skeptical.

You could easily prove me wrong by linking to somewhere (anywhere) a product like this is available for purchase online.  If it's commonly available, it shouldn't be hard to find.  I have searched for hours- maybe I just used the wrong search terms.

I was just curious because I've been looking for something like this (at least what you think it is- whether it is, is yet to be demonstrated) for a long time.  My curiosity is now satisfied- as far as I can tell it's a treated feather.

Sorry to bother you.

#11 Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM

p.s. FYI, you can get these plastic feathers at all the trim stores in the Garment District (nyc). you can tell they are plastic because they don't look or feel real when you actually hold them. You still don't believe what I say about the plastic but there's no other way to explain it, it's not treated, it's just synthetic. :) Just like you can tell the difference between plastic and glass, I guess.

i have no idea why you're having such a hard time finding them. Good luck. 

#12 Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:

p.s. FYI, you can get these plastic feathers at all the trim stores in the Garment District (nyc). you can tell they are plastic because they don't look or feel real when you actually hold them. You still don't believe what I say about the plastic but there's no other way to explain it, it's not treated, it's just synthetic. :) Just like you can tell the difference between plastic and glass, I guess.

i have no idea why you're having such a hard time finding them. Good luck. 

OK, I'll try to call some of the trim stores in the Garment District in NY for details.

I... can't tell the difference between plastic and glass. :|

Maybe you're better at discerning different materials by touch than I am.  Like a super power :cool:

#13 Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic when I said glass v. plastic. I was just trying to describe the situation. 

Again, good luck. And I'm sorry that I got upset. Hope you find them. 

#14 Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

The cake looks ready to fly into my mouth. You do a very nice job describing this food without listing the ingredients, which I see on your site. Nicely done.
Juhea Kim likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page