I Need A Chocolate Frosting Recipe! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2011, 12:08 PM

I need a chocolate frosting recipe(obviously) for some chocolate cupcakes. I just got some awsome frosting tips and I am excited to use them. So what's your favorite chocolate frosting recipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Check vegweb.com.

My personal fave is the Glossy Dark Chocolate frosting from hillbillyhousewife.com. Use vegan margarine and it's all good, for me anyway. It probably wouldn't work well as a piping frosting, though.
#3 Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe check Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World? I've only tried the vanilla buttercream but I'm sure the others are fantastic too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World has awesome chocolate icing recipes - it has a great chocolate mouse one especially. Check it out.
#5 Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 PM

In a couple of days I was planning on getting Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.So I am really excited about getting them now. I have read the cupcake one but I haven't read the cookie one. Is Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar as good?
#6 Old 07-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Beginner

I use avocado, raw cacao and some sweetener... makes the most awesome icing ever
#7 Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post

I use avocado, raw cacao and some sweetener... makes the most awesome icing ever

Seriously?! Can you still taste the avocado, or is it chocolately... I can't even imagine how that tastes.
#8 Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamorphia View Post

Seriously?! Can you still taste the avocado, or is it chocolately... I can't even imagine how that tastes.

No - at least I've never thought that it does. The avocado just takes on the texture of thick icing and when blended with cacao and perhaps some honey/yakon/lucuma/whatever sweetener you use, it'll just taste chocolatey. It's lovely
#9 Old 07-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post

No - at least I've never thought that it does. The avocado just takes on the texture of thick icing and when blended with cacao and perhaps some honey/yakon/lucuma/whatever sweetener you use, it'll just taste chocolatey. It's lovely

That sounds amazing! I'll have to try it. I can't even feel guilty about eating it, since avocado has the good kind of fats. Can you recommend some portions for that? How much cocoa powder should I add to how much avocado? I am all over this!
#10 Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Beginner

Certainly! I just pulled up a recipe on my website, if you don't mind. You can also try googling for another. The one I have posted online actually has dates in it as well

Raw Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Avocado Frosting

If you want to skip over the whole recipe here is just the frosting:

* 1/3 cup Soaked pitted Dates
* 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup or Honey / Yakon syrup
* 1/2 cup avocado (I used 3/4th of a medium-sized avocado)
* 1/3 cup Raw Cacao Powder

Just blend it up and perhaps pop into the fridge for a bit so it firmed up a bit And you don't have to use all raw ingredients, so it would work with non-raw cocoa too.

Edit: I posted that recipe over a year ago. I've kind of honed in my cooking/raw skills so I'm sure I could work out how to reduce the liquid sweeteners with something else, but it's all good in any case
#11 Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 PM

what is cacao powder, i.ve recently changed to vegetarian and am trying to cut out as much dairy as possible, i have always loved cooking and baking. is this a vegan version of cocoa powder?
#12 Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty mathieson View Post

what is cacao powder, i.ve recently changed to vegetarian and am trying to cut out as much dairy as possible, i have always loved cooking and baking. is this a vegan version of cocoa powder?

Yes - raw cacao is essentially raw chocolate, but it's not sweet on its own so it would have to be paired with something sweet, such as dates, honey, yacon syrup, stevia, lucuma...etc. It's definitely vegan also. It can come in the form of powder, "nibs" (little pieces) and cacao butter.
#13 Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Oh MY!!!!! i have baked and decorated cakes since I was 8 or so, but that sounds heavenly. And so much better than normal frosting/icing recipes. And its healthier too, i will try it out on the kids! I am making an ant hill cake this week end, that would make a great ground effect, then add coconut and pecans to put on the mound......How dark does it dry? almost black? maybe I will use a vanilla for the ground and do the normal dirt effect, and use that for between the cakes and for the ants themselves......OH the possibilities!!!

I would rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
#14 Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I am no help I am still in the traditional frosting homemade version of chocolate frosting that uses butter , I use the recipe on Hershey container.
#15 Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty mathieson View Post

Cocao powder is also vegan, just more processed!
Still, always read labels!

You can make hot cocoa by just subsituting soy or almond milk. Sugar is about 50% processed through bone char in U.S., but you can find out:
http://www.veganproducts.org/sugar.html
or use raw or organic sugar, or agave or maple syrup. I find Pioneer refined sugar in my area, so I keep that around.

This is also a helpful site:
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qasugar.htm

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#16 Old 10-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie-Head1819 View Post

In a couple of days I was planning on getting Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.So I am really excited about getting them now. I have read the cupcake one but I haven't read the cookie one. Is Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar as good?

Oh yeah! The gingersnaps are the best! I've made them chewy, I've left them in oven too long, and they got "snappy". I always make candied ginger for them, and chop it-and use a lot!
The pecan bars are very good, but I used walnuts. I bought rice syrup just for them, and I think it was worth it.

The "look inside" at amazon doesn't give recipes, but you can browse index-
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cookies-...9921008&sr=8-1

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page