Vegan Chocolate Banana Cake with Fudge Topping - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I've re-worded this recipe I was given by a friend.
Suitable for: A Vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

Cake-
10oz flour
3 heaped tsp baking powder
2oz cocoa (sifted)
8 tbsp oil
10 fl oz water
1 mashed banana

Topping-
2 oz vegan margerine
3 tbsp water
7 oz icing sugar
2 oz cocoa
1 tsp vanilla essence

Instructions:

Cake-
1. Grease and line your cake tins. The original recipe mentions two 8inch round tins, but I used a small loaf tin and it was fine, the cake just took a little longer. Pre-heat oven to gas mark 5 (190deg C).
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, cocoa and oil. Stir these until very smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients (I always leave the banana until last) then thoroughly mix.
3. Place in the oven for about 40 minutes (it may need longer; use the skewer test).

Topping-
1. Melt the margerine in a saucepan, then add other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Leave to cool.
2. Beat the cooled mixture. Yum!
LL
Werewolf Girl likes this.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Beginner

Oh gosh, this looks so delicious. I must try to bake some sort of vegan goodie soon!
#3 Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 AM

^^ agree... I'll gonna ask my mom if she can make this for me..Yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-26-2012, 11:45 AM

I'm making this now...tried some of the cake mix out the bowl...does not taste very nice lol. Not sure if it's maybe meant to have sugar in there? Xxx
#5 Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I'm making this now...tried some of the cake mix out the bowl...does not taste very nice lol. Not sure if it's maybe meant to have sugar in there? Xxx

I guess the banana is supposed to add the sweetness, but if it were me I'd probably put a little extra sugar in there, I like things really sweet blush.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 08-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Quote:

I guess the banana is supposed to add the sweetness, but if it were me I'd probably put a little extra sugar in there, I like things really sweet blush.gif

This is my first ever bit of vegan baking. The icing was lovely an I'l be using it on everything! The cake however, rather than just lacking in sweetness, it kinda lakes everything. It tasted 'empty' to me, and my bf said it tasted of water lol xxx
#7 Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

This is my first ever bit of vegan baking. The icing was lovely an I'l be using it on everything! The cake however, rather than just lacking in sweetness, it kinda lakes everything. It tasted 'empty' to me, and my bf said it tasted of water lol xxx

Hmm, yeah I'd definitely try more sugar next time, maybe even a different recipe tongue3.gif

Vegan baking can be wonderful, so don't give up! When you get the hang of it and find some recipes you like it is virtually indistinguishable from stuff with milk and eggs in it. I feed people vegan cookies, cakes, etc. all the time without them noticing. It's always funny when someone is ranting about how gross tofu is and then I inform them there is silken tofu in the chocolate peanut butter pie they had 2 slices of evil.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#8 Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Quote:

Hmm, yeah I'd definitely try more sugar next time, maybe even a different recipe tongue3.gif

Vegan baking can be wonderful, so don't give up! When you get the hang of it and find some recipes you like it is virtually indistinguishable from stuff with milk and eggs in it. I feed people vegan cookies, cakes, etc. all the time without them noticing. It's always funny when someone is ranting about how gross tofu is and then I inform them there is silken tofu in the chocolate peanut butter pie they had 2 slices of evil.gif

Haha, my bf has no idea about baking (neither do I tbh...iv only ever used Betty crocker mixes!), and though he agreed it tasted nasty, he didn't mention maybe it needs more milk or eggs lol.

Think I'l look for a new recipe as I'm not sure how to adjust this one...will def be using this icing though, on EVERYTHING! xxx
#9 Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

I can't stop staring at the picture of this cake, I think I'm going to have to make it and maybe just add a little sugar to the cake recipe. lick.gif

#10 Old 06-29-2013, 03:25 PM

oh my, this looks delicious!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page