Yet Another Tofu Scramble [Y.A.T.S] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Yet Another Tofu Scramble [Y.A.T.S]

By:

Category: Breakfast

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

The Scramble:

1 block medium-firm tofu, marinated overnight in 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp tamari and water to cover it

olive oil

sea salt

cayenne pepper

turmeric

paprika

4 mushrooms, in 1/4" dice

1 shallot, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 red bell pepper, in 1/4" dice

1 tomato, cut in half

The Potatoes:

8 new or Yukon Gold potatoes, either pre-boiled or microwaved until soft, cut into quarters or wedges [or however you like, I guess]. Make sure they cool enough to cut them!

some combination of: dried rosemary/parsley/oregano/basil/dried red chillies

black pepper

sea salt

more olive oil

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grind the dried herbs for the potatoes in a mortar-and-pestle. Cover a baking sheet with olive oil, throw on the potatoes, cover them with the herb mixture and salt and pepper and toss them gently. After the oven has preheated, throw them in there and let 'em roast. You can turn them approximately every 15 minutes. At turn #2, start your scramble!

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add sea salt and cayenne [couple shakes each]. Cook the diced mushrooms until they release their juices, then add the shallot and garlic when the pan is almost dry. Saute for 1 minute. Add the diced red pepper and just stir to mix [you don't want slimy peppers].

Take the whole block of tofu out and just start crumbling it into the pan with your fingers. You're going for kind of an "eggy" look. When it is all broken up to your satisfaction, add 1/2 tsp turmeric and a couple shakes of paprika. For a sloshier scramble you can add some of your tofu marinade [like 2 tbsp]. Cook until the pan is dry and the tofu is beginning to brown.

Clear a space on your pan and add the two tomato halves, face down....voila, grilled tomato. This recipe reheats well or serves 2-3.

Additional comments:

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

If your into spicy food, salsa is great in tofu scramble, I often have a similar recipe in a burrito.
#3 Old 10-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

This sounds good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Beginner

I made a variation of this tofu scramble today for breakfast. It was very yummy and I liked that was able to use new spices and herbs in it, I used to the rest in a pita that I ate for lunch.
#5 Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM

Everytime I make scrambled tofu, I end up with an after taste of tofu in my mouth. And even after a while I can still taste it when I burp...groooossssssss. Is there a brand of already scrambled tofu that I can buy and that actually tastes goo?
#6 Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

this looked really good, so i made it recently. i kind of tweaked it though. here's what i did...

1 box firm tofu, drained

2 T. oil (i use more)

4 small golden potatoes, diced

5 fresh mushrooms, chopped

1 small zucchini, chopped

1 tomato, chopped

1/2 red bell pepper, chopped fine

1/2 t.turmeric (more or less according to taste)

Sea salt to taste

3-4 sprigs cilantro, chopped

Directions:

Drain tofu and set aside. Heat oil to med-low heat and cook potatoes a few minutes, covered. Add the veggies, (except tomato) salt, and stir periodically to avoid sticking to the bottom. Add tomato, stir a few minutes. Push veggies to the side of pan, creating a center and crumble tofu with hands into the center. Add turmeric & salt and mix well keeping it in the center. Once turmeric is well blended, stir everything together and cook a few more minutes. Take off heat and stir in cilantro, let stand 5 minutes before filling a tasty sun dried tomato tortilla. like brahmacharya says, it reheats really well and actually tastes better the next day.
#7 Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM

I just made scrambled tofu with tvp, with mexican food seasoning and franks hot sauce. I'm not going to put up the recipe word for word but if you have a recipe you like, try adding tvp! It was really good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page