Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

#31 Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Anyone use oats in soup?
I'm thinking some rolled oats would be good in corn and potato chowder
We make a big pot of soup every Sunday. All the leftover vegetable bits go into the soup so it's always a little different from week to week. It always has steel cut oats tossed in. They make nice tiny chewy bits.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
We make a big pot of soup every Sunday. All the leftover vegetable bits go into the soup so it's always a little different from week to week. It always has steel cut oats tossed in. They make nice tiny chewy bits.
I think it's quite traditional in Irish and Scottish cooking to put oats in stew to thicken them.
I'll go take a look..
#33 Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

https://avillagepantry.wordpress.com...-brotchan-roy/
http://www.beachesandberries.com/201...rish-soup.html

Brotchan Roy, Irish leek and oatmeal soup. Looks good and would be easy to swap the stock and dairy.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Bean Queen

I've only had overnight oats once and they were good, but I prefer to cook mine. The goopier, the better otherwise it's just not enough like porridge for me to enjoy.
#35 Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

I've come to love rolled oats with a tablespoon of chia, frozen berries, covered by soy milk by a bit over an inch and stirred well. By my breakfast break it's thick and creamy.
LedBoots likes this.
#36 Old 05-11-2016, 01:09 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
I was never crazy about oatmeal until until I started eating it raw. Technically rolled oats are not completely raw because they are steamed during the rolling process. Anyway, I just love "raw" oats with plant milk and a mix of fruit, nuts and/or seeds for breakfast.

Is it just me?
I like making steel cut oats overnight in my slow cooker. They're really nice with some dried fruit and hemp milk!

I also like roasting oats in a mix of maple syrup, cinnammon, and salt for granola...mmmm...toss just a few raisins in there and that's my perfect breakfast.
karenlovessnow likes this.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#37 Old 05-12-2016, 03:43 PM

No Cook!

Hey There,

I have been eating oats for a few weeks now. I combine (gluten free) steel cut oats, rolled oats, and some chia seeds and flax seeds. If you combine everything and throw your fruit in, add water, and just let it sit over night. Chia seeds are wonderful at soaking up a ton of water so be sure to add a little more water and mix it up before you go to bed!
LedBoots likes this.
#38 Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie Primer View Post
I was never crazy about oatmeal until until I started eating it raw. Technically rolled oats are not completely raw because they are steamed during the rolling process. Anyway, I just love "raw" oats with plant milk and a mix of fruit, nuts and/or seeds for breakfast.

Is it just me?

Actually, there is a raw version of oats. If you can find whole oat groats, they are the whole oat kernel and are raw. You can soak them overnight (at least 8 hours) and blend them with berries, banana, whatever else you desire. There is also a recipe for "oatgurt", which is raw oat groats soaked and then fermented over a period of 3 days until they take on a sourish yogurty yeasty taste. They become creamy sort of like yogurt. I tried this recipe once and it was surprisingly pretty good.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#39 Old 05-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

You can just soak steel cut, or even oat groats overnight in the fridge, and eat cold?
I think I'd like that
LedBoots likes this.
#40 Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You can just soak steel cut, or even oat groats overnight in the fridge, and eat cold?
I think I'd like that
Yes, the steel cut are really good, haven't tried the groats. I use 2 cups plant milk, or juice, like orange and ombine with one cup steel cut oats. Can add dried or fresh fruit, seeds, nuts, peanut butter, maple syrup, etc. Keeps 3 days in the fridge but gets a bit gummy lol.
#41 Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 AM

I usually let the rolled oats soak over night together with some chia seeds and almond milk. So delicious!
#42 Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM

I add it to my cold breakfast cereal or warm it up in a pot. Or I put it in marmalade and praline sandwiches, or I add it to cakes.
#43 Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Plant Powered

I've never liked hot oatmeal; traumatized being force-fed porridge as a kid LOL >.<

However, I do love granola, so cold oats might just work for me! I can see it being a bit like a softer granola if you add some dried fruit and nuts; I'm willing to try (almost) anything once
#44 Old 07-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Vaishak

Do you cook Oatmeal

Really beautiful photograph. Its something I never thought of till this point. Thanks for sharing,

Regards
Vaishak S
#45 Old 07-19-2016, 02:10 AM

Delicious oatmeal

I think it is fine to use oats to make your soup thicker, however I like to cook oat and eat it as an oatmeal/porridge. You can make so many different variations whether it is with fruits, nuts or any dry fruit
LedBoots likes this.
#46 Old 07-19-2016, 02:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Lacušková View Post
I think it is fine to use oats to make your soup thicker, however I like to cook oat and eat it as an oatmeal/porridge. You can make so many different variations whether it is with fruits, nuts or any dry fruit
Yes, I like to use oats as a thickener, too. And in cookies too. Oats are very versatile!
#47 Old 07-19-2016, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

I've started adding oats to my morning smoothies when I just have like one fruit and soy milk.
I think I'll try a masala chai smoothie-- like soy milk, oats garam masala and added tumeric--maybe matcha
#48 Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Vaishak

The usual way i enjoy oat meal would be to boil milk, add sugar and then a few spoon of oats..
While i was in college a friend of mine taught me a tasty way to make oats..
While boiling milk, he would add chocolate flavored powder into it, add sugar and then add oats..
This would be so tasty and yummy.. I guess those who dont like to drink raw milk and oats can try this..
If you are vegan,, then you can replace milk with almond milk..
Regards
Vaishak
#49 Old 07-25-2016, 07:02 AM
Kirin

yes i have cooked oatmeal every time when i make some kind of recipes from it but i usually make cookies and cake its has a good fat and purely filled with good proteins

Tags
breakfast , oatmeal , raw , recipe , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page