Protein Packed Breakfast in 5 Minutes

I'm looking for a vegetarian breakfast that is:
1) full of protein
2) not processed or containing weird chemicals
3) able to be prepared in 5 minutes
4) can be eaten every day

to elaborate:
1) Protein! why wait until a later meal
2) i don't care if it's organic or not, I just am trying to cut back on processed foods and such
3) I don't have a lot of time. Sometimes I do but most often I don't. This is a crucial one, since I've seen many excellent recipes on this site which sound amazing but I don't have the time really to make. Putting something in the fridge overnight is not bad idea in and of itself but does not satisfy the 5 mins criteria for the purposes of this question.
4) i love eggs, but have been told it's not good to eat eggs every day because of the cholesterol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Oatmeal! The instant type is nutritious with good protein and takes just a minute. You can change it up by adding applesauce, or peanut butter, or maple syrup, any fruit, pretty much anything, really.
#3 Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

oatmeal,
cream of wheat,
Make a pot of quinoa ahead of time.
All those can have fruit, or any kind of milk added
Beans on toast,
peanut butter and whatever you like with it sandwich
Nuts and fruit

I also like to keep some vegan protein/vitamin shake mixes on hand. Like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...cs%2Caps%2C251
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Oryzatarian

haha, oatmeal is my <5 minute meal as well. My default size of oatmeal contains 20 grams of protein (I dont use the tiny packets). Dry rolled oats is 26 grams of protein per cup.
It doesnt have to be sweet, it can also be spicy or vegetable flavor.
#5 Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

soy protein shake blended up with some frozen bananas? Kashi protein and fiber crunch cereal? Greek yogurt plus fruit? Oatmeal plus anything?
#6 Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, chickpea flour omelets do not take long for me to make at all. I preheat a nonstick skillet on the stove (low heat). While that is warming, I take 1/2 cup of chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour and add it to a bowl. add 1/2 cup of water. Add spices like cumin or garlic powder or black pepper if you want. Mix to form a pancake like batter. Pour it onto the skillet and swirl to form a large thin pancake. While it is heating, chop/tear some spinach and add it to the top of the pancake. Add a spoonful of salsa. fold the pancake over so that the spinach and salsa or other veggies are tucked inside. Flip to the other side after a minute. Viola you have a high protein breakfast with veggies and leafy greens to boot, and very little sugar. I believe a half cup of chickpea flour is 8 grams of protein and add a gram or two for the spinach depending on how well you chop it and how much you can pack in there. Have a glass of organic soymilk to go with (another 6 to 8 grams of protein).

Another one. Take a block of silken tofu (drain first). add it to a blender. Add a banana, a tablespoon of cocoa powder, a little stevia or maple syrup (a teaspoon or so). Blend until thick, creamy and pudding like. A small block of silken tofu has about 24 grams of protein for the whole block. If you can't stomach that much soy in one meal, try a half block of extra firm regular tofu (from refrigerated section). You'll still get about 16 grams of protein.

Divide a block of tempeh into 3 servings. Take one of those and cut it into small cubes. Add to a nonstick skillet. Add some chopped fresh pineapple and kale and saute all for about two minutes. That's about 20 grams of protein there. If you don't like soy, try canned black beans in place. One cup of them is about 14 grams of protein, and then add a few grams for the kale.

Sometimes I simply have a handful of whole almonds and a mango for breakfast. My best morning workouts have come a few hours after this particular breakfast.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 03-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Smoothies with soy milk or nut butter added!
#8 Old 03-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Amr,

Lentils and rice can be prepared beforehand and kept in the refrigerator. Just microwave and eat. You can add some salsa or salt if you like.

1 cup of cooked lentils has 18g protein and 230 calories

1 cup of brown rice has 5g protein and 216 calories

Depending on your gender and physical activity level, a good breakfast should contain 600-800 calories. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention recommends that men consume 56 grams of protein per day, and that women consume 46 grams of protein per day: http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyon...s/protein.html . If you are an athlete, you may need a bit more protein.

You can definitely eat lentils and rice every day - it's got a lot that is good, and nothing that's bad.
#9 Old 03-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Ankle Biter

My favorite breakfast is a Food for Life 7-grain English Muffin, toasted, with organic, unsweetened peanut butter. 15 grams of protein.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page