1 medium yellow onion, diced

6 oz. shiitake mushrooms, caps sliced

1/2 teaspoon black salt

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 bunch of red or green chard, leaves thinly sliced and stems finely diced

1 vegan pie crust, store bought or homemade

Preheat oven to 350. In a food processor, blend the tofu and soymilk until smooth. In a saute pan, heat the oil and add the garlic, onion and shiitakes. Cook until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are tender. Add the spices and the chard. Cook until the chard is bright green and the stems are tender. Remove from heat and stir in the tofu mixture. Pour into the pie shell, smooth the top and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Enjoy!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

This sounds amazing! Did it hold together well once sliced? Pics perchance? What crust do you like?
#3 Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Ankle Biter

No pics, sorry. It's an adaptation from a VegNews recipe and it holds together well, but not perfectly. The flavor is wonderful. And I'm sure you could sub spinach or any other greens for the chard.

I used a frozen whole wheat crust that I had in the freezer. It was great.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

That sounds yummy! I wonder if my blender would work???

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#5 Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

This does sound really good! I have the ingredients for this (sans vegan pie crust, though I guess I could make one ). I have fresh thyme in the fridge, so I'd probably use that instead of the oregano. I've heard some people even add Bacos to their quiches. It's an intriguing idea for sure. Maybe a thickener added to the mixture such as flour would help it hold it's shape better? Thanks for the recipe, Poppy!

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#6 Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you think I could add a little egg replacer to hold it together a bit more like a quiche?
#7 Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Ankle Biter

I wish I had taken a picture! It doesn't hold together in a perfect triangle the way an egg quiche does, but it definitely looks like a slice of quiche. I think the chard, which is a little stringy, may have made it a bit looser, just because it doesn't really lend itself to perfect slicing, but tends to pull a bit when you cut through. Make sense?

I don't know that I would add egg replacer, just because it may alter the flavor, but if you decide to, SoBe, please let me know how it turns out.

Another vegan quiche recipe that I like comes from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. She adds a 1/2 cup of raw, unsalted cashews to her tofu mix. She pulses the dry cashews in her food processor until they are finely ground and then adds extra-firm tofu. She doesn't use any liquid (like the soymilk above), but adds some of her sauteed vegetables and processes them with the tofu too, to give the mixture spreadability. She then folds in the rest of the veggie and bakes in a crust for 40 minutes. This quiche holds together very well, but I've never made it with chard!

Thanks for the interest in the recipe! I love the taste of egginess, so to have a couple of good quiche recipes has really been nice. Black salt is key!

#8 Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

As per your suggestion a while back, I picked up some black salt. This quiche will likely be the first recipe I try it in. It is more large crystal flakes in appearance. Should I grind it w/a mortar & pestle? Also, which brand of vegan crust do you prefer?
#9 Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Ankle Biter

Yep, I would grind the salt. Mine is fine.

As for the crust, I honestly don't know. The package went out in the trash a few days ago. I usually make my own, it's so easy. But I've used one that has the word Wholesome (i think) in the title that was good. And I think this last one might have been from Trader Joe's. When I make crust, I just use unbleached flour. But when I buy them, I get whole wheat - my whole wheat ones seem to sag.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page