1 1/2 tsp sugar

2 tsp dry bread yeast

2 Tbsp plain yogurt (not sweetened)

1 1/2 Tbsp ghee or melted butter or canola oil

1 tsp salt

Instructions:

------------------------------------------------------
  1. Sift the flour into a bowl & set aside
  2. Mix the sugar & yeast into one cup of warm water and stir until the yeastie beasties dissolve with the sugar. Cover and wait about 10 minutes. It should have a lightly frothy top coating.
  3. Add the yeasty liquid to the flour, along with the rest of the ingredients.
  4. Make a soft dough. Add a little warm water if needed, but it shouldn't be sticky.
  5. Knead for about 5-6 minutes.
  6. Put the dough into a bowl & cover with a warm, wet cloth. Put in a warm place for 1/2 hour (like on top of the fridge... or computer monitor).
  7. Knead again for 1-2 minutes and put onto a floured surface.
  8. Divide dough into 20 pieces (I cut it into 5 pieces, then cut each piece into 4 more).
  9. Roll each piece into a roundish shape, then roll into a very thin, flat disc
  10. Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat (if you have cast iron, USE IT!)
  11. Place the dough onto the pan. It should puff up a little. After a minute or so, flip and remove after about 30 seconds. The top & bottom should be nicely browned.

Additional comments:

------------------------------------------------------

I got this recipe from a Tarla Dalal cookbook and thought it turned out wonderfully.

Picture Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...age.php?i=7190
#3 Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Im getting ready to try this right now. Thanks for posting this. Every time I go to the local Indian market theyre out of naan. If I had known it was this simple to make I would have been doing it a long time ago. I rewrote the instructions a little bit to make it strictly vegan and compatible with the use of a stand mixer. If it works, Ill post the revised recipe. Since I dont have cast iron, Im gonna try to cook it by heating a pizza stone on the stove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

Im getting ready to try this right now. Thanks for posting this. Every time I go to the local Indian market theyre out of naan. If I had known it was this simple to make I would have been doing it a long time ago. I rewrote the instructions a little bit to make it strictly vegan and compatible with the use of a stand mixer. If it works, Ill post the revised recipe. Since I dont have cast iron, Im gonna try to cook it by heating a pizza stone on the stove.

DON'T!!!! It will probably crack.
#5 Old 11-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

S**T! You're probably right! Thanks, buddy. I think I'll try it with the pizza stone in the oven, and with an aluminum frypan on the stove and see which one works better.
#6 Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Why would the pizza stone crack?
#7 Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I’ll have to call this one a success. The recipe worked flawlessly, and yielded bread which tasted and physically resembled the commercial naan that I get at the Indian market.

Here’s how I modified the recipe:

2 ½ cups white flour

½ cup soy flour

1 cup warm water

1 ½ teaspoons glucose

1 packet yeast

2 tablespoons soy yogurt

1 ounce Earth Balance margarine, melted

1 teaspoon sea salt

Sift flour into mixing bowl. Mix sugar and yeast in water, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Add yeast mixture to mixing bowl with yogurt, margarine, and salt. Attach dough hook and knead for 5 minutes. Remove bowl from mixer, cover with a warm wet cloth, and set in a warm place for ½ hour. Knead for an additional 2 minutes and place on floured cutting board. Divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a thin, flat disc. Cook each piece for 2 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Notice that I changed the number of pieces from 20 to 8. When I cut it into 20 pieces, they were extremely small. The bread pieces were much smaller than commercial naan, and weighed about 1 ½ ounces each or even less. A quick check of a package of commercially prepared naan that I had in the freezer revealed that they weighed 3 ounces each. So I smooshed all the balls back together and divided it into eight three-ounce pieces. 3 cups of flour weighs about 12 ounces, a cup of water weighs about 8, and the rest of the stuff weighs about 4. 24/8 = 3, so that’s about right. The three-ounce naans turned out perfectly sized. I even tried a couple of four-ounce pieces, but they were a little too big and slightly ‘doughy’ inside.

I also increased the cooking time to a total of four minutes—two minutes on each side. I found that this gave better browning and made bigger air pockets inside, which I prefer. I cooked them 2 different ways: on a pizza stone in the oven set at 550°, and in a fry pan on the burner. Both worked well. The fry pan on the burner yielded bread that more closely resembled commercial naan. The pizza stone browned it more and made it ‘crispy’, with bigger air bubbles inside—much like the edges of a thin-crust pizza.

Next time I’m going to try doubling the recipe, as eight pieces is too small a yield for the preparation and clean-up time involved. Also, my 6-quart Kitchenaid stand mixer had trouble processing an amount that small; the dough hook didn’t sink far enough into the dough and had trouble grabbing onto it. I wound up having to help it along with a spoon. Other than that, I consider this a resounding success. I can now make a tasty flatbread and be assured that I know exactly what’s in it, and I’m no longer dependant on the Indian market. If I buy my flour and yeast in bulk, I can probably whip out a couple dozen pieces for about $1.00 or even less.
#8 Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

that's awesome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page