VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Breads (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/39-breads/)
-   -   Better-than-Cinnabons (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/39-breads/32853-better-than-cinnabons.html)

MollyGoat 04-23-2005 05:01 AM

Better-than-Cinnabons

By:

Category: Breads

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

Better-Than-Cinnabon Vegan Cinnamon Rolls

Rolls

2½ t active dry yeast

½ C unbleached sugar

1 C soymilk, warmed

2 eggs worth of egg replacer OR 2 T ground flaxseeds whisked together with 6 T hot water

⅓ C Earth Balance margarine, melted

4½ C unbleached flour

1 t salt

1 C brown sugar, packed

2½ T ground cinnamon

⅓ C Earth Balance margarine, softened

Frosting

About 3/8 (3 oz) of a container of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese

¼ C Earth Balance margarine, softened

1½ C powdered sugar

½ t vanilla extract

⅛ t salt

Instructions:

--Mix yeast, sugar, and heated soymilk in a large mixing bowl and let stand until foamy.

--Add egg replacer, melted margarine, flour, and salt. Mix well and knead for 5-10 minutes. The dough should be firm and smooth, not sticky. Set the dough aside in a covered bowl and let double in size.

--After the dough has doubled, turn it out onto a floured work surface, cover, and let rest for 10 more minutes.

--Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.

--Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with margarine and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 sections with a sharp knife.

--Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. (A cookie sheet also works fine.) Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

--Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together Tofutti, margarine, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

Additional comments:

This is the only cinnamon roll recipe you will ever need. They are easy and impressive--even easier if you have a good mixer with a dough hook.

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

thebelovedtree 04-25-2005 01:32 PM

I'm eating these now and they're GOOD! I cheated and used the bread machine to make the dough which made them extra easy. Next time I think I'll add nuts but thats the only thing I'd change.

ETA: I don't recommend eating 4 in 1 sitting, no matter how yummy and tempting they are.

Lorraine 04-25-2005 07:00 PM

I made a similar version of this over Christmas. I took the Top Secret Recipe version of Cinnabons and veganized it, which is almost the same recipe you have here, give or take a few amounts on the ingredients. I also had to cook mine a bit longer than the 15 minutes. I can definitely vouch for the sheer deliciousness of these cinnamon rolls. I gave some to an omni friend who just refused to stop making yummy noises while eating them. He said these were a dead ringer for Cinnabons and couldn't believe that there were no eggs in them.

missleigh 04-25-2005 08:58 PM

MollyGoat, you are my hero. I made these tonight, and Holy Moly. These are goooood. I've never tried to make cinnamon rolls before because I thought I would be disappointed in them. These are better than Cinnabons!

MollyGoat 04-25-2005 09:10 PM

I'm so glad you enjoyed them! Now I want to make some. But I made punkmommy's brownies yesterday so I better not.

missleigh 04-25-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

But I made punkmommy's brownies yesterday so I better not.

I know those brownies well! I've impressed many a meat eater with those.

Here's a picture of the rolls: https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...p?i=5165&c=506

The recipe made 12 very big cinnamon rolls.

punkmommy 05-13-2005 04:45 AM

Mmmm, I made the cinnamon rolls yesterday! I gave a few to my neighbors, and they loved them too!

GhostUser 06-09-2005 05:06 PM

Oh man...I swear..I didnt think my folks would dig em........but man they were a hit!! They made the artificial cholesterol ridden crap at the stores look like dog food! Thanks!

MollyGoat 06-09-2005 05:11 PM

Yay, I'm so glad everybody is enjoying them! Maybe I'll have to make a batch again soon.

bunnygirlKC 06-12-2005 10:47 AM

Wow!! These are awesome!! I made some for my hubby and family and they all gobbled them right up! Absolutely wonderful- thanks so much for sharing your recipe and helping me show my family that vegan food is fun!

Tom 07-13-2005 03:01 PM

I haven't made these, but I know I'll go nuts over them if I do. Thanks for posting this, MollyGoat.

lauratiara 07-13-2005 06:13 PM

Man, I want to make this.

I have been eating ice cream cake (see recipe posted in cake section) all week. I can't justify making this just yet, but I will justify it soon.

(oh yes I will)

gofnvegan 07-13-2005 06:27 PM

This is the best recipe for Cinnabons, ever! Thank you for sharing!

Rapeseed 09-22-2005 02:14 PM

Mmmmm, I made these last week and they were gone before the day was over. Everyone's been asking me to make them again, thanks for the awesome recipe!

rainbow_clouds 09-25-2005 02:38 PM

Mine came out funny. There was something wrong with my yeast, because my dough didn't rise. I left it there for a good 2 hours and I didn't get any riseing. Then I put the oven on "warm" and put the dough in there and it rised a little bit, but not a whole lot. They didn't rise and they taste dried out. But they are still very good.

rainbow_clouds 09-25-2005 02:42 PM

Or does it have to do with the fact my soymilk froze and then I thawed it out again by putting it in a pitcher and dipping it in boiling water?

misq17 09-25-2005 03:49 PM

Not sure about that rainbow_moon. The temperature of your soymilk might have been wrong, it had to be pretty warm but not really hot.

That being said, I made these today and they are freakin amazing. I can't even begin to describe how wonderful they are. Everyone make these! I used a topping of 3/4 cup confectioners sugar, 2 T milk and 1 bit of vanilla since I have no cream cheese.

I actually had to un-veganize these (I'm L/O) because I'm all out of soymilk and flax seeds . I think I ended up using about 5 cups of flour until the dough wasn't insanely sticky. Just a tip for cutting these: Instead of cutting them with a knife, wrap a piece of unflavored dental floss or string around it where you want to cut and pull it through the roll, much easier.

But yes, make these, they are AMAZING

Pictures momentarily

misq17 09-25-2005 03:58 PM

rainbow_clouds 09-26-2005 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

Not sure about that rainbow_moon. The temperature of your soymilk might have been wrong, it had to be pretty warm but not really hot.

I'm rainbow_clouds!

My soymilk was warm. But previously it was frozen. And it's frozen again But someone just fixed our fridge so I won't have to deal with that anymore.

thebelovedtree 09-26-2005 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

I'm rainbow_clouds!

My soymilk was warm. But previously it was frozen. And it's frozen again But someone just fixed our fridge so I won't have to deal with that anymore.

Freezing the soymilk wouldn't have killed your yeast, I would try again with some new yeast, and make sure it foams this time before adding all the ingredients to it.

misq17 09-26-2005 01:06 PM

Quote:

I'm rainbow_clouds!

Bah, I was having a brain fart

berrykat 09-26-2005 02:48 PM

made these today truely an awesome recipe!

MollyGoat 09-26-2005 04:16 PM

Yup, rainbow--bum yeast. Try again!

rainbow_clouds 09-26-2005 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Yup, rainbow--bum yeast. Try again!

Ah man. It was in a 3 pack, is the other 2 no good either?

And it did smell yeasty.

Regardless, they were still really good, and were even better the next day.

madder 09-27-2005 03:58 AM

Just wanted to say I made these on Saturday, they were a great success! I didn't have cream cheese so I just used icing sugar and water to make an icing, YUM

Rapeseed 09-27-2005 10:09 AM

Well I'm off to make these again. My yeast didn't rise to well last time (but that didn't change how great they tasted), but hopefully It'll turn out right this time. Yum! *runs off to the kitchen*

Rapeseed 09-27-2005 10:58 AM

Quote:

Mine came out funny. There was something wrong with my yeast, because my dough didn't rise. I left it there for a good 2 hours and I didn't get any riseing. Then I put the oven on "warm" and put the dough in there and it rised a little bit, but not a whole lot. They didn't rise and they taste dried out. But they are still very good.

This same thing happened to me twice in a row and I tried two different kinds of yeast. What am I doing wrong? How long approx. does it take for the sugar, yeast, and milk to get foamy?

thebelovedtree 09-27-2005 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapeseed View Post

This same thing happened to me twice in a row and I tried two different kinds of yeast. What am I doing wrong? How long approx. does it take for the sugar, yeast, and milk to get foamy?

You might be letting your milk get too hot, it shouldn't even feel warm to your skin, just about body temperature. Its better for it to be too cold than too hot, too cold will just take longer, too hot and your yeast is dead. How long it will take to foam depends on the temp but normally you should see something by 15 min.

madder 09-27-2005 11:32 AM

What type of yeast are you using? I used little packs of 7 grams each of yeast, and put two in (figuring that 5 g = 1 teaspoon and the bit extra wouldn't hurt). Then put in with warm soymilk and sugar for maybe five minutes?

Rapeseed 10-05-2005 04:30 PM

Oh wow, I had the milk at scalding heat! I guess, NEXT time i'll be using the unopened soy milk in the pantry instead. Thanks for tellin' me!