Vegan Banana Bread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Administrator

Vegan Banana Bread by http://www.vegcooking.com

Category: Breads

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet.

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

3/4 cup tofu

1 cup of sugar

1/4 cup oil

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup ripe bananas, mashed

2 cups whole wheat flour (or any other flour)

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup walnut pieces

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Blend the tofu in a blender until smooth and creamy. Pour into a mixing bowl and beat in the sugar, oil, vanilla, and bananas. In a different bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat everything together, then fold in the walnuts. Pour into an oiled or greased loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour.

Additional comments:

For a printable version of this recipe click the post # in the upper right hand corner.

You can rate this recipe using the drop-down menu in the upper right hand corner.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2006, 05:49 PM

Michael,

Do you recommend this same recipe for pumpkin and blueberry breads?

Thanks!

Aggie
#3 Old 11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

In pumpkin bread, you could sub pumpkin puree straight across for the mashed banana and it should turn out just fine.

If you want to make a blueberry bread, I'd recommend keeping the banana in the recipe for moisture and texture and binding properties - or sub applesauce (though applesauce doesn't work quite the same way as banana, you might want to use a little less applesauce).

Or just Google "vegan pumpkin bread" and you'll find a lot of options.

ETA: Sorry, I'm not Michael but I have no idea if Michael has actually ever made this recipe so figured I could give as accurate an answer as he might...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 AM

RE:

If you like to talk to tomatoes,

If a squash can make you smile,

If you like to waltz with potatoes,

Up and down the produce aisle...

I love it - Veggie Tales!

The Banana bread sounds good.
#5 Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 AM

mmm, this sounds good. One question though, do I use the silken tofu for this?
#6 Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this today--I used 2 tbsp lower calorie margarine and 2tbsp applesauce in place of oil, 3/4c splenda in place of 1c sugar, used 6oz morinu silken lite tofu which came to almost exactly 3/4 cup when blended, and added a dash of apple cider vinegar to my bananas.

I was all ready to bake this tasty treat and had even plopped it in the oven when realized I had to go, and wouldnt be back for another 4 hours! Ahhh! I took it out of the oven (the pan was warm but that was all), put a damp cloth ontop of it and left it, hoping that when I baked it later it would still be ok.

In the end, it was indeed fine.. it was a little flat and very bready--but its nice, its like a sweet bread. Next time I'll make sure to be able to bake it the moment I mix it and maybe itll be more moist and sweetbready and less doughbready, if ya know what I mean. But still, this way is nice because its not overpoweringly dessertlike and can easily be toasted with some margarine or jam and eaten for breakfast. (I'm not too keen on dessert for breakfast)
#7 Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you baked with splenda before? Back in the dark ages before the stuff scared me, I used it but was never was able to make baked goods like cake and cookies turn out right.
#8 Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Before going vegan I used splenda in my banana bread--I went through a phase where I made one almost every other day! It never was a problem before. I really think my issue was the four hour wait, especially since I had decided to add some vinegar.
#9 Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I just made this. I did only 3/4 c sugar and did pecans instead of walnuts. Yum. Tofu, who would think? It is kind of heavy. We enjoyed it though. What would happen if you put in a little more baking powder?
#10 Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 AM

What's the size of the loaf pan did you guys use?
#11 Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

i made vegan banana bread the other day, and it was very crisp on the edges but too moist and heavy on the inside. the pan size was correct, and i didn't even use tofu for fear that it would be too "soggy". is this normal for vegan banana bread or am i trying to mimic the texture of a "normal" banana bread, which just won't happen?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page