Am I Juicing too much vegetable? - VeggieBoards

Am I Juicing too much vegetable?

HiWorld
08:15 AM 03-14-2016
I have recently begun changing my diet to eating more vegan and a more plant based diet, because I have had felt quite a change in how I normally feel. And I thought this was the place to go to for information and to air my concerns.

I juice my fibrous vegetables since eating vegetables with a lot of fibres is a big no-no for me because of Crohn's.

Anyways, I have a question on whether or not I am taking in too much of some vitamins. Especially I am afraid if I am taking in too much vit. E or vit. A. in by juicing the following 3 times a day:
½ Bell Pepper (total 1½ bell pepper a day)

125 grams of carrots (total: 375 grams)

63 grams of spinach (total: 189 grams)

2 stalks of cellery (total: 6 stalks of cellery)

½ Cucumber (total: 1½ cucumber)

I juice this using a slow juicer making up 1.5 liter of juice, but I have read that taking in too much vitamin E or A is not good for you. And I am also eating almonds, like at least 10 a day. I am fairly new to this, I mean I have been juicing on and off to get my vegetables, but I am not aware if I am damaging my body by eating too much Vitamin E or A. on the long term.

By the way it tastes great, if you want, give it a try For a fresh summer drink put in 2 lime fruits instead of the cucumber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

David3's Avatar David3
01:28 PM 03-14-2016
Vitamin A toxicity (hypervitaminosis A) can only happen by (1) taking excessive quantities of vitamin A supplements or (2) eating excessive quantities of fish, or the livers of certain animals. It cannot happen by consuming large quantities of beta-carotene-rich vegetables:

From Wikipedia:
"High intake of provitamin carotenoids (such as beta carotene) from vegetables and fruits does not cause hypervitaminosis A, as conversion from carotenoids to the active form of vitamin A is regulated by the body to maintain an optimum level of the vitamin. Carotenoids themselves cannot produce toxicity."
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

As with vitamin A hypervitaminosis, vitamin E hypervitaminosis is caused by taking excessive quantities of vitamin E supplements.

From the U.S. National Institutes of Health:
"Research has not found any adverse effects from consuming vitamin E in food. However, high doses of alpha-tocopherol supplements can cause hemorrhage and interrupt blood coagulation in animals, and in vitro data suggest that high doses inhibit platelet aggregation."
Link: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...ofessional/#h7
David3's Avatar David3
02:02 PM 03-14-2016
Spinach, carrots etc. are all healthy foods, but you really don't need to consume so many. Healthy vegan diets should also include beans and whole grains. I understand that you have difficulty with fiber, so you would need to follow a specially-modified vegan diet. I recommend, strongly, that you ask your physician to refer you to a Registered Dietitian - they can help you figure out a vegan diet that won't exacerbate your Crohn's disease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

HiWorld
09:32 PM 03-14-2016
Thank you David for the answer regarding too much of a vitamin. I will take one of my juicing sessions out, I still love it for extra energy in the day. Yes it is good advice, also its free here in Denmark, so I have no reason not to see a dietitian. I do eat a little whole grain, but I spread it out over the day, so that it does not do much harm. But I would love to see what a dietitan can do for me. I have begun reading a bit on the forum here, seeing if there is any tips I can implement into my day. I eat a lot of bananas I have to say, it is a bit high in calorie intake as far as I could understand, but I just love them. I do wonder if there is any others in here with Crohn's, I would be surprised if that was not the case, seeing the relief I get from eating vegan, or well, its more what I not eat!
Reply Up