VeggieBoards banner

What is your favourite tea?

9K views 70 replies 49 participants last post by  AngelaKe 
#1 ·
I used to drink green tea, which wasn't that nice at first but I liked it after a while, but I ran out a couple of months or so ago and have been drinking black tea since which I quite like. I've never really had a tea that was really great though.
I don't really like the idea of fruity teas but I'm interested in herbal teas, especially those with health benefits (I like food science).
I wouldn't really want to be telling my mates, if they bothered asking, "It's strawberry and vanilla tea.." Great. Fantastic.

I live in the UK so tea which can be bought from supermarkets or Holland and Barrett's would be great thanks.
Holland and Barrett's sell a tea that costs £40 a box..
(And no milk teas of course.)

#34 ·
I don't consider myself much of a tea connoisseur, but I don't much care for fruity teas either, unless it's lemony. I love lemon tea.

I also really love minty tea, especially spearmint. Green tea got easier for me to drink once I found a good brand and found a mint/green tea mix.

Wissotzky, Harney & Sons, Zhena, and Yogi are my favorite brands. I just bought a box of Yogi Tahitian vanilla + hazelnut, for the holidays. :) I'm not sure but I believe you can find Wissotzky over in your neck of the woods.

#36 ·
I haven't tried many different kinds of true tea; I think I've only had Pekoe, or something like that (whatever kind Lipton and Red Rose teas are), and the tea they serve in Chinese restaurants. I had Earl Grey once (because Captain Picard, on "Star Trek: Next Generation" always drank it)... it seemed just like regular tea to me.

If you include herb teas, my favorite is catnip, followed by peppermint. I've also had chamomile, spearmint, and lemon balm.

Reactions: David3 and jennb
#37 ·
I never liked black teas before, I was a coffee addict-straight up black, nothing fancy. One day I got sick of taking up counter space, so I cleaned it up and stored it, and switched to teas. Suddenly I liked them. Orange pekoe (red rose type), oolong, English breakfast, and Earl grey. Some earl greys' have a stronger beremoie (sp?) flavor than others. I've had a lady grey that has bergemoie and citrus.

#39 ·
Have you ever made your own bubble/boba tea?
I've had it once, with what I'm sure was cream, but I loved the big tapioca pearls! they tasted like they were simmered in a sugary water.
I wonder if there are recipes for sweet tapioca pearls?

#40 ·
I've never tried making it at home but I know you can find the supplies at an asian grocery store. I shop at the vietnamese and korean grocery stores in my neighbourhood and they sell those big tapioca pearls and all the syrups in one aisle in the store. I would wait until after Christmas to shop for them now though because it's insane in there now.Ethnic grocery stores are a hoot anyway. You want to go when you have the time to enjoy the experience.

#49 ·
I pick up specialty flavored teas from a shop in Leavenworth called Cup and Kettle. They sell loose-leaf teas that taste DIVINE. I love the Temple of Heaven Gunpowder, Cream Earl Grey, and Evening In Missoula. The first is a green tea from China, the second speaks for itself, and the third is a blend of chamomile, spearmint, lavender, rose hips, lemongrass, and a few other herbs. It's such a wonderful evening relaxation tea...

#51 ·
Yesterday I had strawberry kiwi herbal tea over ice. It was phenomenal. I am searching for somewhere to buy it from now.

I've had prickly pear tea and would drink that every day if I could find it.

As a side note, it is tragic that I live in the world of prickly pear fruit and you can't buy it in the store. Upscale bars have prickly pear cocktails, and gift shops sell pancake syrup, jelly and candies, but you can't find the fruit or juice anywhere.:( I've planted them all over my yard--some day I will be as happy as a pig in ****.:D

I am constantly tempted to get a black balaclava and sneak around one night picking them. They just fall on the ground and get thrown away.

#52 ·
I love a nice cup of green tea with nothing else but tea in it. I also like my green tea really strong so I leave the tea bag in a long time :)

In the uk you can check out the tea house (located in London near covent garden). They ship online and have a lot of very nice teas, the Sakura Sencha Wild Cherry blend is definitley a favorite :D

#53 · (Edited)
I make my own tea with tree bark, corn cobs, and soaked compost for minerals and aroma. It is brewed in the distilled urine of saints.

I'm trying to be funny, but then I saw that corn cob tea really exists: http://www.chasingsaturdays.com/home/2015/7/17/corn-cob-tea . Also, I remember now that cinnamon comes from bark. Don't drink compost.

Reactions: imagineaa
#57 · (Edited)
I make my own tea with tree bark, corn cobs, and soaked compost for minerals and aroma. It is brewed in the distilled urine of saints.

I'm trying to be funny, but then I saw that corn cob tea really exists: http://www.chasingsaturdays.com/home/2015/7/17/corn-cob-tea .
:D:D

The corn cob tea is probably good. I may make it the next time I have a cob available, just to keep the husband laughing.

OT, coincidentally, I just saw this in the store yesterday. I read it in Spanish and immediately thought I was translating it wrongly, but no. It's a drink mix with corn starch and vanilla flavoring. I am gagging a little at the thought of the texture, but the flavor is probably fine.

Is anyone here into Teavana? Do you have to buy those canisters, or will they give you the tea in a bag of some sort? I've only been in there once and they convinced my husband he had to buy two $25 canisters. I wasn't paying attention until he was checking out and the total was like $75. For tea. For tea! They do have some interesting stuff on their website, but I am going to forget about it if it's that pricey.

#55 ·
mm, tea!! :D

You might say I'm slightly obsessed with tea; I have a whole cabinet of different loose leaf teas, plus I collect various puerhs (which are a variety of Chinese tea grown in Yunnan, often pressed into cakes and aged for best flavour).

I also have a long time love affair with genmaicha, which is the type of tea you often find in sushi restaurants; it's just sencha mixed with toasted rice. It's amazing.

It's getting hot now so I will switch more to fruity/citrus blend teas and drink them over ice. I have one I take to hot yoga that's a blend of white and green teas, lime and melon. So lovely :D

#62 ·
OT, coincidentally, I just saw this in the store yesterday. I read it in Spanish and immediately thought I was translating it wrongly, but no. It's a drink mix with corn starch and vanilla flavoring. I am gagging a little at the thought of the texture, but the flavor is probably fine.

I can't speak to that particular product, but I used to make atole all the time. I'd buy bags of masa harina, attempt to make tortillas, get frustrated, and use the bulk of the bag for atole and as a thick breakfast porridge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.