Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

1 normal size ripe avocado

1 Roma or egg tomato, diced

1/4 cup white or red onion, finely minced

1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon cumin

1/8 teaspoon sea salt

1 tablespoon prepared hot salsa (to taste)

Instructions:

This is my favorite guacamole because it fast, easy, and uses ingredients I always have on hand. The cumin adds a surprising dimension.

Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Cut into the flesh into a grid pattern to create cubes. Use a spoon to scoop the cubes into a large bowl. Dump in the onion, tomato, lemon juice, cumin, sea salt, and salsa. Take a fork and mash and stir until the guacamole reaches your desired level of chunkiness. I like it smooth, but still with small avocado chunks.

Serve with your favorite quality corn tortilla chips. I recommend "Que Pasa" organic unsalted.

Additional comments:

- It is important not to 'over onion' your guacamole, so be conservative. I usually use a single onion slice.

- You don't have to use a Roma tomato, but I find that it is the perfect size for a single avocado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Michelle in Florida
#3 Old 03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

This is almost exactly the way I make my guac. I put garlic in mine, though, and try adding some ground coriander seed with the cumin - yummee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Beginner

Oh, this looks so good! I came in here wanting a recipe for guacamole for my baked burritoes/enchiladas. Weird, I know; not sure what they are, LOL. Anyway, this looks perfect!! Thanks!!!
#5 Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Beginner

This came out really good. I left out the salsa, though, and used a diced jalapeno instead.
#6 Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 PM

I made my first guacamole yesterday, and I find that when I put in the http://www.vitamix.com I have to add water to it to get it to move around so it will puree it all. The water worked, and the results were delicious. Jeff said not be crazy over the onion, I agree, next time, I am going to omit it and increase the garlic.(of course, to each his own). I never thought to use Cumin tho.

I just started this vegetarian way of life April/07, and I think that I will like it. The most daunting thing about this whole concept is snack ideas.

Thanks Jeff for this recipe.
#7 Old 04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm glad that people like it. Guacamole is infinitely variable, so if it tastes good, go for it!
#8 Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Boy, do I love some homemade guac! Sounds delish!

I add a splash of vegan Worcestershire sauce to mine - trust me - it gives it just a lil extra something.
#9 Old 04-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

toast the cumin first, add some lime juice and don't hold back on the onion, but mince it FINE. I add diced serrano or jalapeno, too. Scotch bonnet seemed to be too up front.

I had this on matzoh all through passover.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page