Garlicky White Beans with Spinach (aka Tuscan Refried Beans) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Garlicky White Beans with Spinach (aka Tuscan Refried Beans)

Category: Appetizers and Dips

Suitable for a: vegan diet

Ingredients:

------------------------------------------------------

2 cans white beans (canellini, navy, or great northern are fine)

1 large package frozen spinach, thawed

6-8 cloves garlic, minced (Or more if you like! Press instead of mincing for more intense garlic flavor)

1/2 tsp dried sage (or 1 1/2 tsp minced fresh sage)

1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

2-3 tbsp olive oil

1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt

(If using only 1 can of beans, use a small box of frozen spinach)

Instructions:

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan or skillet (don't use a non-stick one because you will be mashing beans in it.) Add the garlic, sage, and red pepper flakes and saute until the garlic is lightly browned and fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add the beans with their liquid, stir, and mash the beans with a fork or masher until mashed to your liking. Add the thawed spinach and salt, stir, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until heated through and cooked down to a spreadable consistency. Check seasoning before serving.

Additional comments:

Serve with a good bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar for drizzling, and olive tapenade on the side.

You can also dress this up with chopped frozen or canned artichoke hearts and parmesan or soy parmesan for a passable "artichoke dip." Ditto roasted peppers or sun-dried tomatoes.

I put this under Appetizers, but I could (and often do) eat a large serving of this on ciabatta bread with roasted tomatoes and garlic for supper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned

Sounds really good. I'll have to try this one for my Vegan Christmas Dinner. Thanks
#3 Old 12-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

This does sound good. Too bad I just ate dinner.

My family usually just does finger foods for Christmas, and we graze all day, so this will be perfect. I like the suggestion of adding artichoke hearts. I love artichoke dip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I almost forgot to post an update. I did make this for our Christmas gathering.

I added the artichoke hearts but omitted the cheese. I'm not sure how they felt about this, as they are used to my spinach artichoke dip with cream cheese and parmesan. To be fair though, we'd all been grazing all day and this was put out later in the evening, so I don't think anyone had much room left for this.

I took the leftovers home and my hubby and I gorged on this all day yesterday. We absolutely loved it. Hubby said he liked it better than the traditional dip!
#5 Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually have not tried it with artichoke hearts. Now I'll definitely have to give it a whirl! BTW, I love the snowflake avatar.
#6 Old 01-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I only have dry navy beans and I don't feel like going to the store ;/ how many cups do you think that would be? I'm guessing around 3?
#7 Old 01-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

I only have dry navy beans and I don't feel like going to the store ;/ how many cups do you think that would be? I'm guessing around 3?

I haven't tried converting dried beans to canned beans, but I'd guess 1 cup = 1 can would probably work.
#8 Old 01-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll try it, thanks!
#9 Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm...I make something similar, but I've never added spinach before. Time to try something new. Thanks!
#10 Old 01-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Or if you have a favorite green other than spinach, you can do it with that, too, just make sure you get it nice and cooked. This recipe is really just a variation on basic Beans & Greens, which appears many different places and is often made with kale.

I made this the other day and I also added shredded carrots, and it was just OK. The carrots gave the white beans kind of a weird orange tint. I bet roasted peppers or sun-dried tomatoes would be a nice twist, though!
#11 Old 01-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds yummy

Quote:
6-8 cloves garlic, minced (or more if you like!)

#12 Old 01-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha, I made it with 8 and decided it might really be better with 10-12!
#13 Old 01-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Haha, I made it with 8 and decided it might really be better with 10-12!

The first time I was taken to a Mongolian grill place, my co-worker and I sat down with our plates and he remarked "Wow, you must really like sesame seeds." I looked puzzled for a moment because I hadn't taken any (little suckers are indigestible anyway), then I figured it out.

"Oh, I didn't take any sesame seeds. That's garlic".

He blanched. And this was a guy who had a sweatshirt from Chuy's reading "That which burns the mouth frees the mind".
#14 Old 01-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a recipe for garlic rolls which I MUST share with you! It leaves the hands and breath reeking for days, but man, is it ever good! I'll have to track it down, I think it's in one of my mom's cookbooks.
#15 Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Garlic Rolls (courtesy of Marion Cunningham's The Supper Book)

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1 Tbsp water

1 tsp finely chopped garlic (or pressed for more intensity)

2 tsp finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried if that's what you have)

1/4 cup vegetable oil

8 heated soft, white dinner rolls, American homemade-type, like Parker House or cloverleaf

In a small bowl, stir the salt (and dried parsley if using) into the water and let stand for 5 minutes until the salt is dissolved; then stir again. Add the garlic, fresh parsley, and oil and mix well. Put the heated rolls close together in a shallow dish and drizzle the flavored oil evenly over them. Serve immediately.

We used to make this with Pepperidge Farm minature brown & serve rolls that come on a foil tray, but sadly we haven't been able to find those rolls for years. When using brown & serve rolls, we pour the stuff over a couple minutes before they come out of the oven.

You can also play with the water/oil ratio for a lower-fat version.
#16 Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Just wanted to say I tried this the other day...and I LOVED it! For some reason it had never occured to me to put beans and spinach together before. I sat down on the couch with a movie and ate all of it right out of the food processor.
#17 Old 06-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

One cup dried beans usually makes about 2 cups cooked. I seldom use canned, but a can of beans will tell you how many cups are in it somewhere in the nutrition/serving information area on the can.

Thanks for posting this, Tess... I KNOW I'm going to like it.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#18 Old 06-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Now I have a craving for this stuff. Gonna have to make this again soon!
#19 Old 06-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

Now I have a craving for this stuff. Gonna have to make this again soon!

Mmm, good idea! Me too!

BTW, here's my recipe for the roasted tomatoes I eat with it:

Roasted Plum Tomatoes and Garlic (courtesy of The Italian Cooking Encyclopedia)

8 ripe plum tomatoes, halved (stems left on)

12 garlic cloves (Ha. We often make it with 2 whole heads of garlic)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

3 bay leaves

3 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves (or 1 Tbsp dried & crumbled)

Salt & pepper to taste

Heat the oven to 450 F. Place the halved tomatoes, cut side up, snugly in a single layer in an ovenproof dish. Push the whole, unpeeled garlic cloves down between the tomatoes. Brush the tomatoes with the olive oil. Add the bay leaves and sprinkle black pepper over the top. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened and are sizzling in the pan. They should be charred around the edges. Season with salt and more pepper if needed. Garnish with the oregano and serve. (When using dried oregano, I add it before baking.)

I eat thusly: Take a piece of ciabatta. Spread a clove of roasted garlic on the bread, then spread a generous spoonful of white beans & spinach, then top wih a floppy, juicy, roasted tomato. Drizzle with balsamico. Voila! A Tuscan nacho. Bite in. Yum.

(Note: It will leave an awful black mess on the dish you cook it in.)
#20 Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I made this last night, with a few changes...

I used dry Great Northern beans, soaked and boiled in water with no salt until tender. I substituted the juice of 1 lemon for the salt, black pepper for the red pepper flakes, and cooked Lamb's-Quarters (which tastes like spinach) instead of spinach. I was probably kind of loose about the quantities of things in general.

It tastes good- I'm having it cold with whole wheat bread for lunch right now. But the salt from the canned beans and/or added to the recipe probably would have made it tastier.

I've heard that spinach (which is related to Lamb's-Quarters) sometimes has nitrates in it, which can combine with certain amino acids in acid to form carcinogenic nitrosamines. Maybe lemon juice instead of salt isn't such a good idea...

(I swear if worrying were a martial art, I'd be a 10th degree black belt. KEEEEE-YAAAAA!)

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page