Trouble making vegan cheddar cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 AM
No flesh since 99'

Trouble making vegan cheddar cheese

I am looking for a non-dairy (vegan), non-soy recipe for an alternative to cheddar cheese. Something that could be put on sandwiches and grated. I tried this recipe, but it did not come out well-

http://butyesidoeatpotatoes.blogspot...king-part.html

I think part of the issue may be I don't have the most super-fancy blender in the world nor do I have a food processor (keeping my eyes open at goodwill/garage sales for one though!). I tried to use my blender, so that may be the issue. It does good making smoothies and stuff, but it didn't come close to making the ingredients from above recipe into anything close to that photo! It came out something of the consistency of brie cheese with a coffee grounds-like consistency.

Curious if there is anything I could do with what I have at the moment tool-wise have better luck with this recipe or if there is another kind of cheddar (or even jack) vegan cheese that I could make with a blender instead of a food processor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa! I want to make that too!
My only suggestion would be to soak the cashews overnight first. Then drain and rinse before blending
#3 Old 09-25-2014, 01:19 AM

Hey hey!
This might help you in your quest to make vegan cheddar cheese
http://www.mywifemakes.com/2014/09/2...ddar-biscuits/

Hope it helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-25-2014, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Not sure if this would work with that recipe but you could try adding a little almond or cashew butter instead of the whole nut? Or if you can find almond meal or flour at the store you could try adding that to the blender instead of the whole nut. I make a similar nut cheese as that recipe but use blanched almonds in place of cashews because I have an intolerance to cashews. Really all you are doing with the nuts that are added to the blender is grinding them into a powder, so if you can find a nut powder/flour at a store already ground for you it might work. Not sure though. The texture might be off but you could try a small batch.

ps the block of cheese I have made with my similar recipe went nicely in sandwiches but did not grate well and did not melt.
Kiwibird08 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 09-25-2014, 08:40 AM
No flesh since 99'

Thanks Naturebound! I actually have a small "chopper" that if I run things through it for long enough, it pulverized them into a flour-like consistency. I use it a lot to pulverize various grains and nuts into "flour" for baking for my parrot (since I don't trust commercial parrot food to be healthy). I thought I was looking to have them in a creamy peanut butter like consistency, but if it's a powder I need, the little chopper would do that just fine! I may give it another try.
#6 Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DTASFAB
I'm not sure if a really small food processor would work for you, but a few years ago I got a cute little Black & Decker food processor at Target for $20. I would imagine they would have something similar for a similar price today. That would probably be more effective than a blender and more desirable to something found at a garage sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page