VeggieBoards banner

An exotic Indian appetizer

6K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  araddishtoofar 
#1 ·
Raw mango dal or "ambyachi dal" is an exclusive recipe known only to people originally from the state of Maharashtra or those who speak the "marathi" language. This is a personal favourite and I can go on having this in bucketfuls. Its extremely healthy and rest assured, delightfully tasty. If you're looking to try out some really unique recipes, this should go on the list because majority of the people in India itself are unaware of this simple culinary joy.

Health Benefits: Bengal gram is widely appreciated as health food. It has a low glycemic index making it an excellent food for diabetic patients. Its high protein content makes it ideal as a supplement for vegetarians.

Serves: 2

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup soaked chana dal/split bengal gram dal (NOT chickpeas or gorbanzo beans)*
  • 3 green chillies
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • fresh coriander
  • 4 tbsp fresh raw mango (unripe) -grated OR juice of 1/2 a lemon*
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
*Soak the dal in water for about 4 hours till it can be chewed raw without any
resistance.

For the tempering:
  • 1 1/2 tbsp oil
  • 2 dry red chillies
  • 1 tsp asafoetida
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2-3 curry leaves
Procedure:
  1. Roughly grind the green chillies in a food processor along with the chana dal for about 1 minute. Do not grind to a smooth paste but let it retain its coarse texture.
  2. Mix the freshly grated coconut, ground chana dal, chillies, cumin, salt, sugar and the grated raw mango (or lime juice) in a bowl.Add fresh coriander and mix well.
  3. In a skillet, heat the oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds, allowing them to crackle. Add the asafoetida, turmeric, curry leaves and the red chillies and saute for a minute till the red chillies become slightly crispy.
  4. Take it off the flame and let it cool for about 3-4 minutes.
  5. Pour the tempered contents of the skillet over the dal mixture and combine both the components well.
  6. Check for seasonings. It should ideally be slightly sour. You can adjust the taste by controlling the amount of grated raw mango or lemon juice.

See less See more
#4 ·
My grandparents spoke a dialect of it and so did my parents, but they never taught me. I totally know how this daal taste, it is really good. Better with rice, but then again I can eat rice with just about anything

#9 ·
qs. for OP, can I mix two different lentils together like green and red? Also why can't I use garbanzo beans instead of chana dal aren't they from the same family.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Wow. I can give up meat fish dairy and eggs, but onions and garlic? Nope, I couldn't cope with that. I use them in most recipes.
Once you taste good food without them you realise they are completely unecessary and mask the taste of much nicer ingredients. It's not a hugely strict thing, many devotees are fairly careless about excluding them... but I have no desire to relax the rule because food is much better without them.

I hear this all the time and it reminds me of "omg I couldn't live without meat!!!"

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Once you taste good food without them you realise they are completely unecessary and mask the taste of much nicer ingredients. It's not a hugely strict thing, many devotees are fairly careless about excluding them... but I have no desire to relax the rule because food is much better without them.

I hear this all the time and it reminds me of "omg I couldn't live without meat!!!"
Yes, exactly!

But I eat onions with everything - even with my morning bran flakes and after-dinner ice cream.

(Joke!)

Do you use anything to directly replace the flavours?

#12 ·
I should also have said:

Vinda, thanks for the recipe - it sounds really interesting, and certainly one I will be trying in the not too distant future.

Have you thought about setting up a blog with vegetarian Indian food recipes for all the people on here who love authentic Indian food? Please?

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinda View Post

Raw mango dal or "ambyachi dal" is an exclusive recipe known only to people originally from the state of Maharashtra or those who speak the "marathi" language. [/LIST]
Actually, I'm not in those categories and I make and eat this. Thanks for sharing it with others though!

Quote:

Asafoetida is commonly used to mimic or replace the strong allium flavors in recipes.

#16 ·
Quote:

Nope, but as Ahimsa said, hing/asafoetida is a good mimic. I add a pinch of hing in nearly everything I cook but it isn't enough to affect the flavour of the dish, it's just for the excellent digestive benefits. There are much much nicer flavours than onion and garlic like mustard seeds, coriander powder, mango powder, chilli and so on

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Nope, but as Ahimsa said, hing/asafoetida is a good mimic. I add a pinch of hing in nearly everything I cook but it isn't enough to affect the flavour of the dish, it's just for the excellent digestive benefits. There are much much nicer flavours than onion and garlic like mustard seeds, coriander powder, mango powder, chilli and so on
But I like using onion and garlic AND aseofetida AND mustard Seeds AND coriander AND mango powder AND chilli AND AND AND....

No, sorry, I cannot go without onions and garlic! Luckily I don't have any beliefs (religious or otherwise, apart from my animal rights ones of course) that stop me eating them. Phew!

#18 ·
Quote:

But I like using onion and garlic AND aseofetida AND mustard Seeds AND coriander AND mango powder AND chilli AND AND AND....

No, sorry, I cannot go without onions and garlic! Luckily I don't have any beliefs (religious or otherwise, apart from my animal rights ones of course) that stop me eating them. Phew!
Good stuff! onions and garlic are the condiments of life

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spherion View Post

qs. for OP, can I mix two different lentils together like green and red? Also why can't I use garbanzo beans instead of chana dal aren't they from the same family.
I wouldn't recommend that because the lentils mentioned here have a particular taste and texture which cannot be replaced by garbanzo beans. You'll find chana dal/bengal gram dal in an Asian especially Indian food store.

Quote:

I should also have said:

Vinda, thanks for the recipe - it sounds really interesting, and certainly one I will be trying in the not too distant future.

Have you thought about setting up a blog with vegetarian Indian food recipes for all the people on here who love authentic Indian food? Please?
I do have a blog and the link is in the signature. I am passionate about food and it was an obvious choice to set up a blog and share my favourite recipes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.