Pan Fried Vegetable Dumplings (PF Chang's) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2009, 06:55 AM

Pan Fried Vegetable Dumplings (PF Chang's)

Category: Main Dishes - Other

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian diet

Preparation Time: 40 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

-----------------------------------------------------

(There is a lot of flexibility with this recipe depending on your personal tastes and what you have available. Basically, load up your stuffing with carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, peppers, and any other greens to taste)

1 cup to 1 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage

1 cup chopped shiitake (or other) mushrooms OR 1 cup chopped Tofu (can be used as a substitute)

1/2 cup chopped carrots (optional, I personally don't use them)

2 tablespoons scallions

2 teaspoons freshly minced ginger

1 tablespoon hoison sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for cooking)

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)

1 egg

1/2 cup cold water

Wonton wrappers

Instructions:

Chop all of your vegetables and add them to a medium sized mixing bowl. Treat the cabbage as your base but substitutions for other various vegetables can be made at any time. If you don't like cabbage, pick another base.

Once all your vegetables (cabbage, mushrooms/tofu, carrots, scallions) are chopped in the mixing bowl, start to add your liquids (hoison, soy, sesame, ginger, salt, pepper). Again, the ingredients are a guideline for seasonings.

Make sure that once everything is added that your stuffing doesn't have too much liquid at the bottom of the bowl. Add more of your base or other vegetables as needed, until it starts to be absorbed and more evenly porportional. Stir and let marinate.

Scramble the egg in a small side bowl. You can add half of the scrambled egg to your stuffing if there isn't too much excess sauce (it helps it be glued together once cooked). Take the leftover egg and use it as the glue for your wonton wrappers.

Get a small spoon and dollop a small amount of stuffing into the center of a wonton wrapper. For square wontons, put your finger in the egg and trace the outline of the wonton . Next, add another wonton over the first, pressing down on the perimeter. The egg should act as a glue to keep it closed. Be careful not to let any extra air in the wontons OR seal it improperly.

For triangle wontons, place a small amount of stuffing in the center of a wonton wrapper. ONLY brush the egg against two of the sides. Fold the un-egged side over to seal with the egged side. Yum! Dumplings!

Once you've used up all of your stuffing and have a nice pile of dumplings, here is how you pan fry them:

Dump one tablespoon of oil into the bottom of a large frying pan. Let it heat up while you pick your first batch of dumplings. Once the oil is hot, lay as many dumplings in the pan as you can in one layer. Try not to let them touch. Next, add the cold water to the pan. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, if all the water hasn't cooked off (some of these newfangled lids), remove the lid, up the heat a little, and keep a close eye on them until the rest of the water cooks off.

Once the water is gone, gently pry up the edge of a dumpling. It should be golden brown. If it's not, let it cook in the pan until it turns the correct color. Remove all dumplings once cooked and move to a plate with paper towels. Eat & enjoy!

Additional comments:

Should yield 20-30 dumplings. I like to make one batch and freeze the rest.

Be very careful with amount of liquid in the mix. It's not a huge deal if there's some in the bottom, but it makes it a little more difficult when making the dumplings. Try to drain the excess with your spoon before you put it in the wanton.

There is a huge amount of flexibility with the recipe, so please do have fun with it!

Extra dumplings can be frozen and then thawed, and pan fried on another occasion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Yum!
#3 Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds good.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

[youtube]EY9_DMYKoDk[/youtube]

Dumplings directed by Fruit Chan starring Bai Ling.

in my experience

Quote:
1 cup chopped shiitake (or other) mushrooms OR 1 cup chopped Tofu (can be used as a substitute)

i'd say both. cremini/portobella mixed with an ounce dried porcini, make it into a powder with your coffee grinder.

Quote:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for cooking)

peanut oil. it's the standard and it works well in high heat. hopefully you have a wok, they're so good at everything.

Quote:
Once you've used up all of your stuffing and have a nice pile of dumplings, here is how you pan fry them:

Dump one tablespoon of oil into the bottom of a large frying pan. Let it heat up while you pick your first batch of dumplings. Once the oil is hot, lay as many dumplings in the pan as you can in one layer. Try not to let them touch. Next, add the cold water to the pan. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, if all the water hasn't cooked off (some of these newfangled lids), remove the lid, up the heat a little, and keep a close eye on them until the rest of the water cooks off.

Once the water is gone, gently pry up the edge of a dumpling. It should be golden brown. If it's not, let it cook in the pan until it turns the correct color. Remove all dumplings once cooked and move to a plate with paper towels. Eat & enjoy!

that's interesting. normally i just thaw them using bamboo steamers, then pan fry for potstickers.

Quote:
Be careful not to let any extra air in the wontons OR seal it improperly.

the completely vacuum sealed type of jiaozi, sign of mastery.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#5 Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

peanut oil is right Snarkmeister--it takes the heat and is light in comparison to other oils. I like your suggested modifications--seems you have made a few dumplings
#6 Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post

peanut oil is right Snarkmeister--it takes the heat and is light in comparison to other oils. I like your suggested modifications--seems you have made a few dumplings

yeah. thanks. I'll have to write down the full jiaozi "alla boscaiola" recipe down sometime.

i actually had some of your friend's mom's recipe summer squash pasta for lunch. My CSA has been sending me a lot of yellow squash and zuccini.

Quote:
我喜欢吃男性肉

gourmand

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#7 Old 09-07-2009, 12:01 PM

yummmm
#8 Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-anti-fur View Post

yummmm

Ok, Missy...have you been stalking the recipe forum, or what?
#9 Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll be making a variation tonight. I'm going to grate some carrots and some potato. I also will add some greens to the mixture. I think i'll cook those down first and then add. I'll be using some 5-star anise and ginger to make it asian-y, possibly some garlic and a touch of siracha...

For sauce I think I'll use some bragg's, a bit of mushroom soy sauce. Kinda throw some stuff in until it tastes good

If I had mushrooms I'd definitely add some in there. I might see about some grated bell pepper as well since I just remembered I have those too.

I think I'll freeze some individually and save for later "quick" meals.

oh and no egg...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page