Need to gain weight- help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 AM

Hi, this is my first post (though I've been lurking the boards for awhile haha). I've been an on and off vegetarian for 6 years, but recently I switched over to veganism- for good.

The problem is, I'm losing weight FAST. It wouldn't be a problem if I needed to lose it, but I'm 16, 5' 9" and about 110 lbs. I was 128 pounds when I started two months ago, and now I just feel sick and terrible from being so thin. It's also very irritating because it's hard to convince people my vegan diet is healthy for me when I look like a twig. I try hard to eat good food and get proper nutrients, am I doing something wrong?

I would like to be around 125lbs. Do you guys have some tips on how I can gain weight back safely? Lately I've been stuffing myself to try to gain weight but I know that's not good for you either so I've stopped.

Thanks!

EDIT:

A typical day is usually

Breakfast: Cereal w/almond or soy milk, or a fruit smoothie with flax seeds

Lunch: Peanut butter sandwich with vegetables or veggie burger

Snack: Can be fruit leather, raw almonds, a cookie or dark chocolate.

Dinner: Various dishes usually including beans, vegetables, and pasta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

First thing's first -- can you be very specific about what you're eating in a day? Can you post a few days worth of meals/snacks so we can get an idea of what your food intake looks like?

In general, adding in some healthy fats can help you to gain weight. Things like nuts, nut butters, seeds, healthy oils (olive, canola, coconut), and avocados are all healthy fats and calorie dense so you get a lot of calories without a lot of volume.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Eat more, not worse. (or something like that)

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
EDIT:

A typical day is usually

Breakfast: Cereal w/almond or soy milk, or a fruit smoothie with flax seeds

Lunch: Peanut butter sandwich with vegetables or veggie burger

Snack: Can be fruit leather, raw almonds, a cookie or dark chocolate.

Dinner: Various dishes usually including beans, vegetables, and pasta.

It seems you're dong fairly well with what you're eating especially if you're eating correct proportions. For your lunch I'd eat something a little more hearty such as a stew or some kind of hearty wrap. For a snack try to be sure to have protein and complex carbs such as eating a medium apple dipped in 2Tbsp. of almond butter. You will also probably do best with *two* snacks instead of just. Have one between b/l and one between l/d

Do you use anything specifically for healthy fats? Consider adding in some avocado if you like them, and be sure to use some olive oil while cooking.
#5 Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Beginner

Peanut butter sandwich for lunch ????? You sound a lot like me when I first turned vegetarian at your age. First I was too lazy to cook and I was too lazy to tell my mom what to cook for me so I would just eat anything off the freezer.

Just a little suggestion, eat something more solid for breakfast and don't hesitate to tell whoever cooks for you to add more stuff to your meals haha :P Ok good luck friend.
#6 Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmmm you lost weight and I seem to of found it! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

First thing's first -- can you be very specific about what you're eating in a day? Can you post a few days worth of meals/snacks so we can get an idea of what your food intake looks like?

In general, adding in some healthy fats can help you to gain weight. Things like nuts, nut butters, seeds, healthy oils (olive, canola, coconut), and avocados are all healthy fats and calorie dense so you get a lot of calories without a lot of volume.

Very good idea there, that is probably the healthiest way about it. I also want to know what your activity level is like? because if you are really active it is burning a lot of calories, thus your caloric intake needs to be higher.
#7 Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaKitty View Post

I also want to know what your activity level is like? because if you are really active it is burning a lot of calories, thus your caloric intake needs to be higher.

I'm not very active, I take walks every other day. Though I do a lot of crafts (knitting, sewing, cake decorating LOL) so I fidget around which probably burns more calories than if I was sitting watching tv.
#8 Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I think depending on portions and types of things you're eating, your calorie range day could vary greatly.. i.e....

B: 1 cup Special K cereal + 1 cup almond milk = ~200 calories

L: 2 pieces WW bread + 2 tbsp PB, 1 cup baby carrots = ~400 calories

S: 1 piece fruit leather = ~50 calories

D: 1 cup cooked pasta, 1/2 cup beans, 1 cup steamed broccoli = ~325 calories

Which would total under 1000 calories in a day which would be WAY under where you need to be eating.

An alternate but similar menu...

B: 1 cup granola, 1 cup ~milk = ~500 calories

S1: 1 apple, 2 tbsp peanut butter = ~300 calories

L: 1 whole wheat wrap, 2 tbsp hummus, 1/2 avocado (sliced), some lettuce, cucumber and tomato slices; 1 cup carrot sticks, 1 small box of raisins = ~500 calories

S: 2 tbsp almonds, 1 clementine orange = ~130 calories

D: 1 cup ww pasta with 1/2 cup beans, 1 cup broccoli sauteed in 1 tbsp olive oil; 1 slice italian bread with 1/2 tbsp margarine; 2 cups salad with 2 tbsp full fat salad dressing = ~

That's a little over two thousand calories a day (not including a cookie or some dark chocolate for dessert!!).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM

That seems like an easy and similar menu, I'll try that out then, thanks!
#10 Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Beginner

don't be discouraged!! it took me a long tme to gain weight after i went vegan. now i can't turn my brain off of 'gain mode' lol but hey, as long as i'm eating healthy and exercising i won't complain!
#11 Old 06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

eat 2 more meals, bump your calories, & get into a fitness program or sports

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page