Routine vs Spontenaity - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you feel it is better to have a routine in your eating (eat at about the same time every day) or to follow hunger signals instead? During the weekends and summer I tend to wait to eat until I'm hungry because I have that freedom, but then with the structure of school/work there are only certain times where I can eat.

I was wondering in terms of weight loss and going veg*n if it is better to try and follow hunger signals or to have a routine so that your body becomes adjusted to the lifestyle changes. How do veg*ns out there live there life now? Is it different than when they first started?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 AM

I personally eat when I'm hungry.
#3 Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

When I can I eat when I'm hungry. However there are certain times (like scheduled lunch breaks) where you may have to eat then. So I'd say it's 50/50 for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, I think a lot depends on your relationship with food. For those who haven't had huge issues with food like binge eating and food obsessions, I think it's totally realistic to go by instinct. But for those of us who have food issues, more structure might be better. I know for myself, who have had binge eating issues for years, I fail every time I try to eat by instinct. I get anxious if I don't know what my meals are going to be and even more food obsessed since I'm always going over in my mind what I'm going to prepare for the next meal and eventually end up going for junk food because it takes no planning.

However, when I plan out my meals, I do a lot better.

Tam
#5 Old 04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Beginner

I have always ate when I am hungry and usually eat every couple of hours. It's rare if I ever eat a big meal but many small meals throughout the day. I have never followed a routine. I know at work it's a bit difficult because you have to wait for lunch breaks but I do snack throughout the day. I am not sure if you have the freedom to snack at work but at our job everyone snacks between being busy. My boss encourages it even to keep us fueled. I have been thin all my life and was told that the way I eat is why.
#6 Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsteriffic View Post

When I can I eat when I'm hungry. However there are certain times (like scheduled lunch breaks) where you may have to eat then. So I'd say it's 50/50 for me.

I'm the same way. I eat when I'm hungry, unless I'm at work and have a scheduled lunch break. Then I eat on those breaks.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#7 Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Angel View Post

I'm the same way. I eat when I'm hungry, unless I'm at work and have a scheduled lunch break. Then I eat on those breaks.

Me, too. I eat when I'm hungry, unless I know this is the only time I'll have a chance to eat.
#8 Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I do the same thing as you. On days when I'm working, I have a schedule because I know if I go too long without eating and then get hungry at a time when I can't eat, I'm miserable. But on weekends and during the summer, I pretty much eat when I feel like it. I don't know which of these is better. I do think I tend to eat a little bit less when I'm not on so much of a schedule, but those are also the days where there is a bigger chance for me to go on a crazy binge. Sorry to be of no help whatsoever.
#9 Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I do much better if I just eat when I'm hungry. I gain weight if I eat at set meal times, just because.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#10 Old 04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the responses.

I also have some problems with binging and overeating, so sometimes having a schedule after a binge helps me to get back on track, but i'm just always playing tug-of-war between the two extremes that I wanted some feedback. This week I've been trying to eat at set times (with some flexibility) which has helped, because I'm sure my hunger signals are a little out-of-wack from other habits recentely. This weekend I'm going to the beach with some friends, so I will most likely try the intuitive thing then. After that I can kind of decide which one works well for me, or how I can incorporate both (schedule around work, hunger by free time) like others have suggested.

Thanks again I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page