Kicking sugar: for real - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone here (I am sure someone has - diabetics, hypoglycemics, health nuts like me) tried to kick sugar out of their diet in a fairly stringent manner? I mean not just obvious things like sweets or soda or juice or sugar in your tea/coffee. I mean checking labels to see how many grams of sugar are in things, or even thinking about how much sugar is in a piece of whole food.

Lately I've been looking at "healthy" products - organic, "natural" cereals, breads, sauces, etc, and finding that things often have RIDICULOUS amounts of sugar. A certain cereal from a very reputable organic, "healthy" company, had 17 grams of sugar per serving in it. Dates and prunes, which I love, have unsurprisingly high amounts of sugar in them, even though they are not bad for you. If you're not vegan (i am but I think it's interesting), a cup of fat free milk has 12 g of sugar in it.

I find myself to be a serious sugar-holic, and it takes very little to trip a spree. Granola bars, even fairly low-sugar ones, are the devil. I can hardly eat dried fruit, have to watch cereals very carefully, and it's better for me if I don't encounter fake sweetener either. Let down my guard for half a second and my sweet tooth puts me in a half-nelson.

Do you think that stringently cutting sugar this way would be helpful? Has anyone done it? Any other sugar-holics out there who are serious about keeping the sugar out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried lowering my sugar intake so many times and I'll do good for awhile then I start eating as much as I was before. I do notice that if I do a detox it helps reduce my sugar cravings, but a month or so after the detox I'm eating as much as before, it's just hard to stick to. I do believe that the less you eat the less you want, kind of like with giving up meat or anything else. I'd actually like to give it a try again (as I sit here eating my nondairy ice cream lol)
#3 Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed the same thing. When I was doing heavy endurance sports, I avoided sugar like the plague because I could not stop if I started eating it (with those kinds of workouts, your body tends to think it needs more than it really does anyway). Then, if I ate it, I'd feel sick. It was always occasions like holidays when it was around that tripped me up - I'd end up eating it without thinking, just because of emotional associations (we grew up with lots of particular sweets a part of each holiday). After that, I'd duke it out with my sugar cravings for months.

The past 10 months have been my worst struggle with this ever, which is why I'm thinking of kicking it in such a serious way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Beginner

I too need to stop eating sugar. I am severely hypoglycemic so sugar send me into a crazy high and low so low I pass out I like this challenge.
#5 Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe we could all try a 30-day kick-the-sugar-habit challenge? Mine will start tomorrow. I already had some sweet bread this morning - don't want to bring anything I haven't tasted to a funeral potluck!
#6 Old 03-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

i cut out added sugar in anything (i used stevia and xylitol, and didn't eat much fruit or refined carbs either) for a few years. you're gonna be doing a lot ofcooking from scratch, and you'll crave it for a while, but after that its no hassle, as long as you stick with it.

i think there was a cutting out sugar support thread for a bit a while ago, but unsuprisingly it rapidly disapeared- cos everyone kept caving. sugar is a hard one, cos its in eeeeeeeverything.
#7 Old 03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Sugar and sodium are both tough. I think sugar is actually harder because it's in produce too. There's just no getting away from it!
#8 Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

sugar in fruits isn't half as bad as say... corn syrup, if your issue isn't diabetes or similar, cos at least you're getting other stuff with it- fibre, water, vitamins, etc. i think its better to eat stuff like fruit, than sweeties, cos at least you're getting a whole thing, that has half a chance of filling you up, and which needs a bit of chewing, and not some hugely concentrated extract.

what drives me completely nuts, is when something is listed as containing no added sugar, then when you look at the ingredients, its absolutely stuffed full of molasses, brown rice syrup, pure cane juice, or concentrated white grape juice. i don't know what they think thats all about but i'm not falling for it.
#9 Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Sugar in fruits still seems to trip my sweet tooth. I went for years at a time not eating much sugar - more than I want to eat now, but still much less than I do at the moment. At that time, I'd develop terrific banana-cravings. No surprise, I now find - bananas have 14 grams of sugar each.
#10 Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Apples actually have the same amount of sugar as bananas, but bananas always get my sweet tooth going. Maybe it's the carbs or something, I'm not sure how the carb amount compares but I'm assuming bananas have more. Carbs always give me cravings, stinks because carbs are in everything, except meat haha I'd rather eat them and deal w/ the cravings than go back to meat tho :P
#11 Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 PM

im trying with the sugar. its not as hard as the aspartame! that stuff is in so much! im going with Stevia. but my Lipton instant teas that you pour in a water bottle, instant oatmeals, all that. its in there...so yea trying to knock out sugar and aspartame. not going to be easy....

Speedo
#12 Old 03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Banned

aspartame is horrible crap. just buy normal oatmeal- it cooks in 3 minutes, which is pretty close to instant. same with iced tea- just make tea, and if you wait, it goes cold.
#13 Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm going to try to kick sugar first and then get rid of aspartame and splenda. I really like my diet soda and my tea with splenda in it and a little splenda in my oatmeal. It's going to go soon, though. It's the next on my list.
#14 Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 AM

One thing that does help in the process is agave nectar. It's a very low glycemic index sweetener, so low in fact that it can even be used by diabetics. So, I've been trying to use that to replace my usual sugar intake. I like the light agave nectar.

I just gotta be strong and not make or buy treats that aren't agave sweetened.
#15 Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd love to kick my artificial sugar addiction. I think stevia is awesome and would totally change to that but its so darn expensive.
#16 Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Man, this is harder than I thought. It's at night that I have trouble. I'm currently chowing down on the last of the granola bars, which are so awesome but have SO much sugar! But that's the last of what I have in the house and I WILL NOT buy more. I will avoid the grocery store like the plague before more sugar enters my fortress!
#17 Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Day one being without junkfood-related sugar. The only sources were a little honey (probably a tblsp. total), dried apricots and plums, and some raisins. I ate too much dried fruit, I think, and the honey might have sparked a bit of overeating - too much PB & toast with honey.

Tomorrow, probably going to avoid those things.
#18 Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

are you gonna have a go at making your own granola bars with agave, cassiel? might be fun.
#19 Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

So I think I'm really gonna try harder to kick the sugar

For the longest time I've kept up with my nutrition intakes at www.calorie-count.com, they track your fat, carb, calorie, protein, sugar, sodium, fiber, etc.
#20 Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

hoodedclawjen - I never thought about it! Maybe I will. Make this fun.

Day 2 on the sugar comedown. The only obvious sugar I have had was from blueberries and two greenish bananas (I read that for some reason, greener bananas have less effect on sugar issues than ripe ones. I don't know why). Otherwise, peanut butter (sugar-free), oat bran cereal, almonds, and a slice of whole wheat bread that I made sure was a relatively low-sugar variety without HFCS. Less sugar than yesterday, even (I got a little carried away with the dried fruit yesterday - looks like that will have go to, too). I'm starting out easy. I can eat as much as I want of anything so long as it is on the list of permitted foods (I made myself a list of things around the house that are low-sugar, because I forget what's available and do that "there's no food in this house!" thing).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page