Best ways to tone up by summer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 PM

What are the best exercises and such to do inside (I live in a bad nieghborhood where people carry guns and there are gangs and all that on my street). I want to be all nice and toned by summer by I heard sit ups and crunches don't work and that you don't burn any calories til about 30 min after exercising. Is this true??? Thanks in advance ^.^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Situps and crunches work fine, but you won't see the effects of them unless you burn off the excess fat on your midsection. I have quite strong abs, but you can't see them because of abdominal fat (not tons, but I don't have a flat stomach). So if I were to exercise enough to get that layer off, you'd probably see decent abs underneath.

Also, any movement burns calories. You don't start burning more calories after you've exercised (though your metabolism might be up, I assume). But no matter how much you tone, if you're looking to lose fat then toning won't do it. You have to do cardio. Your muscles might be toned, but excess fat will hide that, if that's more what you meant by 'tone.'

I'd suggest checking out www.self.com. Not all their advice is great but they do have info on things you can do to tone different muscles. If you want to do cardio at home, I suggest jumping jacks, jumping rope, running up and down stairs if you can... that sort of thing.

Also, check out the "physical fitness" section of this site for ideas.
#3 Old 11-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Yeah I highly suggested running up and down stairs, it tones your legs and burns calories FAST! (Plus jumping down the stairs once you get to the top is super fun. Just don't trip and break your neck. ^-^ )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-28-2008, 04:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I got a yoga mat and a yoga dvd. I do it in my living room. I have a moderately bad neighborhood too. I enjoy it, I got my tape and mat from http://www.gaiam.com if you're interested.
#5 Old 11-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I understand her much. I live in a bad area, cant afford gym membership and live in a 300 square foot apt with my friend. I need to do carido but how?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#6 Old 11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I have an Urban Rebounder and it is by far the fastest, best cardio workout I've ever done, and it takes up almost no space (folds up). Leaves your legs feeling like you've run for miles after just 15 or 20 minutes. Really great workout!
#7 Old 11-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxhugz.kisszxX View Post

I want to be all nice and toned by summer by I heard sit ups and crunches don't work and that you don't burn any calories til about 30 min after exercising. Is this true??? Thanks in advance ^.^

From everything I've read and heard, it is true that one doesn't burn fat until after 20 minutes of cardio. That may be what you're thinking of.

What about a jump rope? That would only take a bit of cleared out space, and a jump rope shouldn't break the bank. And you could do it while listening to music or watching TV.
#8 Old 11-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I have this:

http://www.raviana.com/catalog/produ...b006b03a637308

I've lost about 15 pounds using it. You will work up a sweat, but it doesn't kill you! Which is great because I have bad joints.

Also check out some of their other dvds, I have a bunch and they're all great!
#9 Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 PM

You can always invest in a good dvd. I don't know if you have cable or not or what's in your cable package. Here in South Carolina they have a channel in basic cable called FitTV and they have some popular fitness people doing television shows. I love it I taped pretty much every episode of every workout show they play. I like Gilad, Cathe Friedrich, Namaste Yoga, and Shimmy. Sometimes the workouts on all star workouts are pretty good. They also play Sara Snow's show on there too and she has a lot of vegetarian and vegan friendly recipes and advice. I don't know about the other cooking shows though.
#10 Old 11-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Beginner

non exercise speaking, what state do you live in?

A CCW could go along quite nicely with some New Balance's for some good outdoor running, wear a sweatshirt, it will offer plenty of room for concealment.

Get some dumbbells or loose weight plates and use these for resistance in curls, and stomach exercises. Don't forget calisthenics. Running stairs is good --- great for your legs.

You have a car? You can always drive to a suitable location to run.

I think calisthenics and free weights to be best in your predicament.

Then again, there's always notifying your local sheriff, unless your fortunate enough to live in a shall-issue state .
#11 Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Shouldn't living in a bad area make you want to run... a lot... and fast?!

Jump rope, if you have the space for it and your ceiling is high enough, and in a non-carpeted area... it's probably the highest return in terms of calories burned, but you have to practice it.

You should also lift weights for tone - if you have the money for them, the SelectTech dumbbells by Bow Flex are great for apartment dwellers.
#12 Old 12-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Steele View Post

Thats god damn HILARIOUS!!!

I sometimes consider this option (of going thru a rough area) if ever I become sluggish at exercise, although THANKFULLY that is a rare dare.
#13 Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

So these are they, aren't they trent, is this only model available?

http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/..._dumbbells.htm

http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/...T552_float.jpg [close up]

I figured on first impression the design was just an aero-dynamic quirk, but I see the rotator dial is the adjustment for weight (how it works I will have to read or have you tell us Trent) but I think it saves having a multitude of combined single plate weights which a person would conventionally be using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Steele View Post

Thats god damn HILARIOUS!!!

I sometimes consider this option (of going thru a rough area) if ever I become sluggish at exercise, although THANKFULLY that is a rare dare.
#14 Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah those are the ones. What you do is turn the dial to the number you want to lift - I'm usually maxing out around 12.5 lbs. because I have the physique of a spaghetti dinner. Very convenient for apartment dwellers though. So convenient that I can barely locate mine right now.
#15 Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

K, now comes the bit of asking HOW IN THE WORLD DO THEY EVEN WORK?? how is it achieved!

Treat us as stupid as you want whilst you explain!
#16 Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Magics, I assume. There's a lot of clicking when you turn the dial. When you pick up the each dumbbell from it's base, only some of the plates are attached, depending on what weight you choose. The rest stay in their slots. See? Magics!
#17 Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

lol, of course, magics!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page