Diet restrictions (no soy, wheat, peanuts) and veganism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so, I've been vegan for a couple of years but I've recently discovered I don't feel that good so long as I'm eating wheat, peanuts, soy and maybe even things like corn and tomatoes. I've been BRATing it (umm, minus the toast actually) for the last couple of days and already feel better. Bananas, rice and applesauce seem to agree with me at least. I think almonds don't give me trouble either - I've been eating a little almond butter also. I'm wondering, though, if it's possible to maintain my veganitude without eating these things. Lentils seem to be ok for me but I realized I don't seem to respond to other legumes well either. When I say I don't respond well to these things, it's manifested in a) acne breakouts, b) increased asthma attacks, c) stomach upset (bloating, diarrhea, and GERD), and d) possibly some component that worsens my bipolar disorder, because I recognize I feel better mentally when not eating these things.

Today I actually broke down and ate some scallops. I didn't feel so great mentally about it, but I'm also an athlete and I worry about my protein consumption. Is anyone else on such a restrictive diet and vegan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I am confused by your post.

You aren't new to veganism, so I think you are familiar with plant-based protein sources, yet your desire to up your protein (because you are an athlete and are concerned about protein intake) was strong enough that you "broke down and ate some scallops"?

It seems like more is going on here.

All I can say is that it is possible to remain vegan even with a very restrictive diet, *if* it is a priority, and one has sufficient time, money and access to a variety of foods.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

To be honest, I don't have sufficient time, money or access. I'm a grad student and pretty financially strapped. The scallops were lunch bought for me.

The plant protein sources I've used, though, were beans, nuts, and soy. Without any beans but lentils, without any nuts except almonds, and without soy...where am I to get my protein?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post

To be honest, I don't have sufficient time, money or access. I'm a grad student and pretty financially strapped. The scallops were lunch bought for me.

The plant protein sources I've used, though, were beans, nuts, and soy. Without any beans but lentils, without any nuts except almonds, and without soy...where am I to get my protein?

I expect that, as a grad student you are reasonably intelligent and resourceful. The comment I made about access/time/money is in relation to children, those in abject poverty or living in remote impoverished areas.

Even a banana has protein. That's just an example, I don't expect you to eat 30 bananas a day, but a wide variety of foods have protein (not just the things you now want to avoid).

The average person eats so much more protein than they actually need.

I'm just not clear why you'd not consider eggs before flesh, if you were leaving veganism behind.

Rice protein and hemp protein powders are excellent sources of protein and for the price of a plate of scallops at a restaurant, you can have an entire container.

I wish you the best.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Get yourself tested for food allergies. It can help you know what to avoid for sure. That said, my allergist is a big believer in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' i.e. if something is not giving you a problem, don't worry about it, and if it is, don't eat it (even if the test says you can). Also, do a Google search for elimination diets. That's where you start with a very safe base of non-allergenic foods and add in ONE new food at a time every couple days or so. See how you take it then make a decision on whether it works for you. I know that for me, I did not test as allergic to dairy, but I feel better when I don't eat it, so I don't eat it. And there is something about loaf bread that does not work for me----crackers are fine, flat breads are fine, but something about loaf bread does not agree with me.

Aside from that, I have confirmed allergies to tree nuts, green beans, flax and corn. These all developed as an adult. And I have a related issue with the tree nuts where I sometimes react to certain raw fruits (this is called oral allergy syndrome and is common with nut allergies, I can have the fruits cooked with no problems). I had a very scary reaction to a raw apple once. Quite alarming.

The big issue is prepared foods---corn/corn starch/corn oil is in a TON of stuff and some people with corn allergies react while others don't. I am okay with citric acid, and with baking powder if it's a small quantity spread throughout a whole recipe. I know of others who are much more sensitive than I am. But I do react to corn starch as a rule and I have to read labels carefully to avoid it. I also have to make time to prepare my own food as I cannot buy many kinds of frozen or prepared ones.

allergicliving.com has an excellent forum, and a good magazine they put out. Good luck!
#6 Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

I think you need to be on a raw food diet. You need the raw enzymes to digest these foods. You might also want to check out some alternative milks, nut butters, etc. at this website - which has a lot of choices: www.bulknuts4you.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page