August Weight Loss Challenge - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Everyone. Here's your place to get encouragement and accountability for the month of August. This is the place to state your goals, victories, slip-ups and generally encourage each other on our weight loss journey. Summer brings with it special challenges of vacations, bbqs, picnics, pool/patio parties, etc. that may hamper our weight loss but do not become discouraged if you slip up and eat off plan or not get in your exercise goals. Each day dawns bright and new and so we can carry on and know that one off plan day is not a disaster. Here's to a great August!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Ahh. Another month... 30 days closer to one day getting that navel ring that she's always wanted.

I'm leaving for the weekend tommorow, I won't be here for the start of August so instead i'm going to post now.

Goals:

Get some freakin' exercise (1 hour; 3 days a week.)

Keep up with my calories and avoid over eating or extreme under eating.

I'm not weighing until I see improvement in actual inchs, So hopefully lose an inch.

Remember that I am human and I need to drink more than 1 cup of water every couple days to survive.

#3 Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

Ahh. Another month... 30 days closer to one day getting that navel ring that she's always wanted.

Me too!! I want my belly button pierced too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Goals:

Drink 8 glasses water/day

Stick to my points

Don't miss any meetings

Excercise AT LEAST 3x week (shoot for 5 or 6)
#5 Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Same goals as always:

Exercise more

Watch portions

Drink water

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#6 Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Can I join in? I really need to lose some weight. I was up to 214 about 2 years ago and got down to 150. Today I am at 170

Goals:

Less of this

More of this
#7 Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

I'm happy to set goals this time because I KNOW I can reach them.

GOALS FOR AUGUST:

-Drink 8 cups of water or tea a day, AT LEAST, everyday, no exceptions

-Get on the elliptical or run around the block at LEAST once a week, but I will strive for 3 times.

-Eat less junk
#8 Old 07-31-2008, 11:20 PM

drop some pounds..at least 10 please

get to the gym AT least 3x a week. try for 5.

drink more green smoothies!! perhaps replace 2 of my meals with em.
#9 Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM

I wasn't around much in July, but I was definitely keeping at it! I'm still in for August

I only lost 3 pounds last month, so maybe things are starting to slow down a little bit. That or I've been eating too much lately. Probably the latter! I'm currently at 147lbs, so only 12 more pounds until my goal weight!

Goals remain pretty much the same:

- Drink lots of water and then even more water

- Keep running. My longest run to date has been 4.1 miles. Maybe I can increase that to 5 miles by the end of the month!

- Plan my meals better; don't snack as much

I hope everyone has been doing well
#10 Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post

Hi Everyone. Here's your place to get encouragement and accountability for the month of July. This is the place to state your goals, victories, slip-ups and generally encourage each other on our weight loss journey. Summer brings with it special challenges of vacations, bbqs, picnics, pool/patio parties, etc. that may hamper our weight loss but do not become discouraged if you slip up and eat off plan or not get in your exercise goals. Each day dawns bright and new and so we can carry on and know that one off plan day is not a disaster. Here's to a great August!!!

I didn't get a chance to say it in the July thread so I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS ON 30 YEARS!!

That's an amazing mile stone!! Peace & Love!!
#11 Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm in!

August goals:

No injuries!

Lose 5lbs.

Drink lots of water.

Workout 2X per week next week...to work back into it slowly.

The 3X per week the week after that and then back to 4 or 5X per week

healthy snacks.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#12 Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone. My goals will basically be the same as last month. I lost 4 pounds in July but I didn't weigh the last day as I want to keep it to once a week. I weigh in tomorrow so I probably stayed the same or lost some (heaven forbid that I gained!!). The weather has been cooler the last few days so I've been able to exercise again. And no big celebrations in August so eating should be happily uneventful.

Goals for August:

*Walk 5K/Bike 5K/35 Counter Push-ups: Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday

*Circuit training: Monday, Wednesday, Friday (at least 2x)

*Portion size and calorie counting (1200-1400 calories per day)

*No junky snacks

*Eat sufficient food not to be hungry and at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day

*Take a multi-vitamin each day

*Lose 5 pounds by end of August

*Try to get 8 hours sleep each night(Nothing to do with weight loss directly but for general health.)

Welcome to anyone new posting to this thread. Feel free to post as often as you like. All the best on your weigh loss journey.
#13 Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I've gotten so ridiculusly off track its not even funny. While I want to re-lose some of those 'last 10 pounds' really I just wanna get rid of fat. I'm not keen on losing muscle.

So here are my goals for August.

-eat 2-3 times as many veggies as fruit. (Instead of fruit being like 50% of my calories! eep. DM explained to me the fat-conserving issues with that!)

-try to get as much of my calories as possible from protein (beans mostly)

-try to cut down, if not eliminate, all refined grains (bread, crackers, cereal.)

-eat only raw nuts, not toasted.

-stay hydrated!

-stop pre-emptive eating! This is something I've noticed myself doing and its BAAAD. "I wont be able to eat much later so I'll stuff myself a little extra right now." BAAAAD. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

Wish me luck! I donno my starting weight but lets go by my black shirt. Right now the buttons are pulling quite provocatively at the bust and it touches my skin all along the waist. (My legs have very little fat so its not much of an indicator)
#14 Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Weighed in this morning but haven't lost or gained anything this week. I figured this had to happen sooner or later as I've been losing steadily since March.
#15 Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone! I'm staying in MS for an extra 2 days... I'll be going home Tuesday afternoon so that's great. ...Mom doesn't know that but I don't see much of a protest happening... So it's all good.

I've been really active here as always, Walked 4+ miles (in a thunderstorm!) yesterday, I'm going out tonight (and every other night from here on out!) so i'll be getting lots of exercise I can assure you.

I've been okay with eating... No over eating... but I didn't eat enough yesterday... and i'm still lacking a little so far today... I did manege to drink a couple glasses of water... I had completely neglected to for like 4 days prior... Totally need to work on that...
#16 Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm ready to join you all. I did a juice feast last week and lost 4.2 pounds...so I'm expecting to see 1 pound a week here on out.

I'd like to lose 4 pounds this month. My goals are to use the elliptical at least 20 minutes a day, eat 1 or 2 raw meals a day (will mainly be green smoothies for breakfast), and use fitday pc to track what I'm eating.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#17 Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

New goal: To take my dog on short walks at least 4 times a week!
#18 Old 08-03-2008, 10:28 AM

I really need to be accountable for my actions this month. I'm trying to lose these last 15 lbs. I've been at a plateau for months! Its very frustrating. I start grad school on Aug 25th & I have to teach 7 group fitness classes in 5 days. I need to work out more now so that I don't get burned out when school starts.

My Goals:

Drink 80 oz of water a day

Reach goal weight

Increase intake of veggies

Get 8 hrs of sleep

Count calories daily

I hope this works out.

Good luck everyone!
#19 Old 08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

today was a huge flop--i was out of breakfast foods and ended up having a few pieces of toast (white bread ><!) with margarine, and then at lunch I had pasta (though very little--one of my grandmothers made me a vegetarian version specifically so she would've been really hurt if I didnt at least have some. She made me enough for 8 though!!) but again--white... blehguhg.

Oh, and a lot of chocolate... yesterday too. But chocolate is ok, right? ^__^'
#20 Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Beginner

hi all! happy august!

as i expected.. i messed up real badly this last week. sheesh. up 2.4 pounds

my chart is all the way at the bottom.

anyway, no problem.. edit: i know i did NOT eat an excess of 8400 calories LOL. i messed up so bad that i'm laughing about it LOL b/c it's insane!!!!

I also went SHOPPING yesterday.. bought lots of cute clothes b/c nothing fits anymore.. i was beginning to feel like the bag lady or something LOL

i've got 2 huge plastic bags of clothes that i'm going to donate - i always donate every year, but i have a lot more this year and i'm also nervous about getting rid of good stuff just b/c it's bigger, b/c i keep thinking..maybe i'll need it in a year or something if i gain it all back..

i love the clothes they have at Kohls.. it's pretty good prices for nice stuff..

i have a nice clean closet now and i can SEE my clothes and what to wear.. I'm happy LOL. Gosh, i used to HATE shopping.. now i love it LOL.

here's my chart - i'm going back to being more careful this week. Argh lol.. I know what i did "wrong".. too many carbs/starches.. less veggies, and overall had 2-3 days of high calorie foods when i was bored and felt lazy.

oh another fun thing i did yesterday was i went SWIMMING and did Sauna too. So nice I feel so happy and comfortable in my skin now..

i decided i'm going to continue with WW for the month of August and stop (even though i'm so close to goal) and get myself a good scale instead and be accountable with my friend Jess and we'll both be doing Sparkpeople.

have a GREAT week everyone.

#21 Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by figsNolives View Post

hi all! happy august!

as i expected.. i messed up real badly this last week. sheesh. up 2.4 pounds

my chart is all the way at the bottom.

anyway, no problem.. edit: i know i did NOT eat an excess of 8400 calories LOL. i messed up so bad that i'm laughing about it LOL b/c it's insane!!!!

I also went SHOPPING yesterday.. bought lots of cute clothes b/c nothing fits anymore.. i was beginning to feel like the bag lady or something LOL

i've got 2 huge plastic bags of clothes that i'm going to donate - i always donate every year, but i have a lot more this year and i'm also nervous about getting rid of good stuff just b/c it's bigger, b/c i keep thinking..maybe i'll need it in a year or something if i gain it all back..

i love the clothes they have at Kohls.. it's pretty good prices for nice stuff..

i have a nice clean closet now and i can SEE my clothes and what to wear.. I'm happy LOL. Gosh, i used to HATE shopping.. now i love it LOL.

here's my chart - i'm going back to being more careful this week. Argh lol.. I know what i did "wrong".. too many carbs/starches.. less veggies, and overall had 2-3 days of high calorie foods when i was bored and felt lazy.

oh another fun thing i did yesterday was i went SWIMMING and did Sauna too. So nice I feel so happy and comfortable in my skin now..

i decided i'm going to continue with WW for the month of August and stop (even though i'm so close to goal) and get myself a good scale instead and be accountable with my friend Jess and we'll both be doing Sparkpeople.

have a GREAT week everyone.

It will be OK..I gained 4 pounds one morning last week...I was upset even though I knew it had to be water..it was gone 2 days later..(thank goodness)

I worry about giving away clothes, too..will I need em again? what if? Go for it! I have never ever needed mine again and I know someone else got good use out of them.

Isn't it a totally wonderful feeling to be happy in your body? Way to go! Awesome job you have been doing and a great plan you have to continue!

#22 Old 08-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

Oh, and a lot of chocolate... yesterday too. But chocolate is ok, right? ^__^'

#23 Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Beginner

anyone heard of the 3-apple-a-day plan? i did not read the book, but basically you are supposed to eat an apple before each major meal you have. something about apples (other than the fiber) actually helps the body lose fat -- i'm going to try that out this week. LOL. I eat a lot of fruit, but i don't think i've eaten 21 apples in a week.

i'm making it a mini-goal for this week. i always feel i need to "change it up" a little.
#24 Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 PM

Donate the clothes. I was afraid of donating mine too (esp the more expensive pieces that I didn't have for long) but its motivation to not gain it back. There was a period of time where I was constantly buying new smaller clothes. That has since stopped . Some things were able to be taken in like my favorite pencil skirt. I even gave a few pieces of my favorite denim to my mom because she could fit them. Jeans are the hardest when you gain back weight so I keep one "safety" pair in 1 size up and donate the rest. Tops usually fit the same. Good luck dear.

So far so good to start my August progress. Still no weight loss for some odd reason but I'm counting cals, drinking lots of water, trying not to eat too late in the evening, and doing my daily workout. Hopefully the scale will be nice one day. I feel like weighing in everyday is a good way to stay on top of my progress and I understand there will be daily ups and downs but sometimes it ruins my mood for the day when the scale goes up. Anyway...this is getting long. I'm going to chug some water and do some strength training. Buying some adjustable weights was the best purchase ever. No excuse to not workout!
#25 Old 08-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

That's good for both you! and fun, too!

#26 Old 08-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

That's good for both you! and fun, too!

She's loving it! I took her yesterday and might take her again tonight. It's 5:30 and 97 degrees... I may wait another 2 hours or so
#27 Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

She's loving it! I took her yesterday and might take her again tonight. It's 5:30 and 97 degrees... I may wait another 2 hours or so

I bet you both enjoyed it! Yeah, wait til its cooler.

We are in the middle of the Monsoon Season, so I'd have to get my weenie dogs some floaties and wet suits...

#28 Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

I took my dog for a walk tonight and even went to the local park! I got some exercise, as did Sweet Pea

Monsoons? Those don't sound fun I'd love to see your doggies all dressed up, you should totally do it just for the pictures.
#29 Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:

Thats what I plan on doing also. Not only is it good for me, but my dog is on the heavy side and it will help her out.
#30 Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Oh good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page