HELP... with quitting coffee - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM

i am not supposed to be drinking caffeine due to doctors orders because of my adhd

i already drink loads of caffeine free tea and water

but there is nothing that can replace my ice coffee i have had with my breakfast for the past four years.

i need help!!!!!

any ideas are welcome!

thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Beginner

I assume you've tried decaf? I don't care for the taste, but it might be one of those things you get used to.

Can you still have chocolate? It has small amounts of caffeine. I love a chocolate banana soymilk smoothie in the morning.
#3 Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank god caffeine doesn't aggravate my ADD! Decaf or finding something totally different that you love is the best thing I can think of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Can't you have a small one? You could take the one you usually have and then just drink half?

I had no idea caffeine could aggravate ADD!
#5 Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Try subbing it with decaf. I quit caffeine cold turkey three weeks ago and it was a rough one - but once I got used to having herb tea instead it was just fine. It is all about changing habits!
#6 Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Teeccino is an awesome herbal coffee alternative. It's naturally caffeine free and tastes so good. You brew it just like regular coffee. I used to do decaf but then found out that the process they use to make it decaf makes it not very good for you either. You can also mix the teeccino with your coffee in increasing portions to ease yourself off. Good luck!
#7 Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 PM

yesss i tried decaf its just not the same

but i just bought a ton of decaf teas and they are just marvelous

thanks everyone!
#8 Old 07-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a small variety of roasted grain drinks available, as well as chicory, a widely used coffee alternative. Postum is no longer made, but you can find other coffee alternatives. Carob is used for some drinks. If I was told to get off the caffeine, I'd probably lower my intake using tea for a while, then gradually stop that as well. Since you like a hot drink in the morning, have you considered heating juice? Hot lemon aid and OJ actually tastes good in my opinion.
#9 Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Beginner

i recently cut down my caffeine A LOT (don't like decaf).. i wanted an alternative to instant coffee since i don't brew and purchased CAFFIX from my local health food store. It's pretty GOOD. I was impressed.

I went from drinking 2-4 cups a day to 0..except for the occasional weekly cup at sbux.
#10 Old 07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
kat
Veggie Regular

I stopped drinking about 6 months ago. It was pretty much cold turkey, though I did have a few cups of decaf when I really need it. I also tried dandelion coffee, but didn't like it that much.
#11 Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

i've asked this before I think, when I too was quitting coffee, but now that I'm back on it due to extreme tiredness (yes, i know, chicken and egg scenario perhaps..) but is there really that much of a downside to it??? I usually drink a huge mug of the black stuff in the morning and then a latte a few hours later at work..lately the other one has turned into a double though.., its still less than i used to drink but its creeping up and i just can't keep up right now without it. do i even need to torture myself right NOW to cut back again??? a few weeks of extra buzz surely isn't that bad...

(and in relation to the actual thread, that I just hijacked somewhat :/ , i found cold turkey to work best. but you have to actually WANT to quit, you know??)
#12 Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to quit the caffeine, but I do love my morning coffee...I don't like the taste of decaf, so I mixed my coffee grounds..1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf...I am going to change it around next week and do 3/4 decaf and 1/4 regular and see if I am OK with that...I figure this way I can slowly lose the caffeine habit and it really tastes the same so far.

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#13 Old 07-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurushead View Post

i've asked this before I think, when I too was quitting coffee, but now that I'm back on it due to extreme tiredness (yes, i know, chicken and egg scenario perhaps..) but is there really that much of a downside to it??? I usually drink a huge mug of the black stuff in the morning and then a latte a few hours later at work..lately the other one has turned into a double though.., its still less than i used to drink but its creeping up and i just can't keep up right now without it. do i even need to torture myself right NOW to cut back again??? a few weeks of extra buzz surely isn't that bad...

(and in relation to the actual thread, that I just hijacked somewhat :/ , i found cold turkey to work best. but you have to actually WANT to quit, you know??)

Well, the original poster is under doctor's orders to quit, so in that case, there does seem to be a downside. For most people, though, moderate caffeine intake does not seem to be harmful, and may even be beneficial. I can dig up some studies tomorrow if you're interested, but right now I need to get my undercaffeinated butt to bed.
#14 Old 07-11-2008, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I've just stopped drinking coffee - gone cold turkey from having sometimes 25-30 mugs a day whilst at work - only really drink it at work but it's a case of filling up as soon as the mug is empty - chain drinking.

I'm trying to just drink water during the day with the odd herbal / fruit tea thrown in for variety.

So I guess the environment has a lot to do with it cos I rarely drink coffee when I'm not at work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page