Fruit and vegetable consumption - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I consider myself to eat a rather strict, but otherwise normal vegan diet.

However, I am worried about my fruit and vegetable consumption. I tend to eat rather in excess of the recommended '5 a day', and am concerned that it will result in unwanted weight gain.

Am I able to gain weight eating too many fruits and vegetables or am I worrying unecessarily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that more than worrying about gaining on that, I'd worry about loosing, seeing as perhaps you run out of stomach room for other food groups - what is your carb and protein consumption like? Do you get enough of those?

How are you, by the way, haven't seen you around in a while?
#3 Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

My carbohydrate and protein consumption are normal as far as I am concerned (around 6 and 3 portions respectively). I believe these are enough, aren't they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Depending on your activity rate your carbohydrate consumption is pretty low; just within the recommended amount. The thing I would be most concerned about is your fat intake and, moreover, your seeming lack of fats. Everybody needs a diet of at least 20% of the calories consumed being of healthy fats as these boast a lot of health benefits that can be shown both on the outside, through skin and nails, but also internally.

As far as fruit and veg are concerned you should a good variety whilst still ensuring you are getting adequate amounts of other of the major nutrients, i.e. complex carbohydrates and fat mostly as you do seem to have a good intake of protein.
#5 Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I fully admit to eating a rather low fat diet due to my concerns about potential weight gain. I do consume flaxseed and some nuts, but do not feel comfortable doing so.

Do you think I need to decrease my fruit/veg consumption or should I continue to eat my 10 portions on a daily basis?
#6 Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Beginner

when it comes right down to the basics, it's all calories.

if you consume more than your body uses for energy, then you gain weight, less, and you lose.

'too many' fruits and vegetables (and doesn't that sound ridiculous?) will not cause weight gain unless you're consuming more calories than your body uses.
#7 Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it would be very easy to gain weight on fruit and veggie consumption. However I would be worried about over eating these things as well. Fruits can be high in acid levels, and can also cause diahrroea, and you can get nutrient overloads of some of the nutrients (If you want me to look up which ones, let me know). I think the 6 and 3 portions sound fine! That's about what I get too, or maybe 6 and 2.

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#8 Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Seriously, eat as many fruits and veggies as you want, and the more the better. I consume 10+ a day and I definitely don't have a weight problem. Pretty much any other food is more likely to cause you to gain weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page