Breakfast - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 AM

If I MUST eat breakfast in order to stop my metabolism going into 'Starvation mode' and slowing down, How much must I eat ? A couple of teaspoons of sugar or a Loaf ? The experts never really tell you,do they ? Anybody know? Or is it another of those ''Expert'' fables ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Baby Love

Generally speaking, a meal consists of items from mutiple food groups adding up to several hundred calories. There isn't an exact number to suit everyone. The idea is just to spread out your calorie intake throughout the day.
#3 Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

My metabolism is fine and I haven't eaten breakfast since probably jr. high school. I think breakfast is overrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

My metabolism is fine and I haven't eaten breakfast since probably jr. high school. I think breakfast is overrated.

Functioning without it does not make it overrated. Breakfast in some form is very important. Something simple like a fruit and oj smoothie is a good breakfast, even for someone not accustomed to eating so early in the day.
#5 Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I was kidding. Thus the . But I can't handle food of any kind first thing and somehow I've survived all these years.
#6 Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I do not eat my breakfast right away.... no way! I drink my cup of coffee leisurely as I read my paper and check my email. Then I have some breakfast. I do not have anything that is a major production.. usually just cereal, oatmeal, or toast. I do think it gets the metabolism going and sets the tone for the day.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#7 Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast is super important, You should have something nutritious (and with a good portion of your days calories). Try a smoothie, A green smoothie, Fruit salad, Oatmeal or cereal with fruit. Even toast and a piece of fruit would work. Just something.

I can't eat first thing in the morning, I can't even drink first thing in the morning or i'll get sick. My breakfast is never first thing, I usually have it after being up for an hour or two.
#8 Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

My breakfast is never first thing, I usually have it after being up for an hour or two.

Then it's not breakfast. It's brunch. Or at least it is considering the time I usually get up.

I need caffeine first thing in the morning, or I'm not safe to be around others. Or I should say it's not safe for others to be around me.
#9 Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

As I recall, your body taps glycogen stored in the liver to maintain sufficient carbohydrates in your blood ("blood sugar") to keep your tissues well supplied. You've got about a 24-hour store of glycogen in the liver. After you burn through this, your body will start tapping your body's fat stores for energy. For me, this transition from burning glycogen to burning fat (actually, the fat is converted to carbohydrate, and then burned) is fairly distinct - I feel different in an odd sort of way.

If the above model is accurate (it is certainly sensible), then it really doesn't matter when you eat throughout the day. You aren't directly fueling your immediate energy needs when eat; you're adding to your liver stores. Of course, I've left out many interesting details, but you get the general idea.

Good luck!

#10 Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionon View Post

If I MUST eat breakfast in order to stop my metabolism going into 'Starvation mode' and slowing down, How much must I eat ? A couple of teaspoons of sugar or a Loaf ? The experts never really tell you,do they ? Anybody know? Or is it another of those ''Expert'' fables ?

I don't know why you'd eat sugar for breakfast.

The "experts" tell you exactly what to eat for breakfast. Depending on your goals, you might find that a bowl of Irish oats + soy milk + blueberries meets your needs. Or, scrambled egg whites with avocado and spinach. Or, ezekiel bread toasted with a slice of cheese and a hard-boiled egg.

Eating breakfast doesn't just break your nightly fast & rev up your metabolism. Research proves that eating breakfast increases your cognitive ability as well. The benefits of eating breakfast aren't a "fable".
#11 Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionon View Post

Sugar for breakfast? Is that a joke?

Try a bowl of hot or cold cereal. Tends to be typical breakfast for many. On quick mornings I usually eat rolled oats with fruit. On leisurely mornings I'll do either tofu scramble with veggies, potatoes with veggies, or rice and beans with veggies. Really whatever I'm in the mood for.

Just eat enough to feel satisfied and ready for the day, no need to over stuff yourself. You can eat fruit throughout the morning if you want to space the food out.
#12 Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Beginner

A few hundred calories is good to aim for--less or more depending on how the rest of your day's eating schedule goes.
#13 Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I tend to alternate between hot and cold cereal and eggs for breakfast. I'm more awake and alert when I've eaten breakfast than I am when I haven't.
#14 Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 AM

I know I have to cut these things out of my diet, but I seriously roll out of bed, stumble to the fridge and nuke a veggiedog for breakfast. Then I eat it right there in front of the microwave, half naked. Almost shameful to admit!
#15 Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

breakfast does not have to be eaten...

youre better off having fresh fruit for breakfast..

x
#16 Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read breakfast should be within the first two hours of waking up--but not necessarily the MOMENT you wake up--your body is still going from sleep mode to awake mode and your digestive system isn't necessarily ready to even take in food just yet. If you're full--don't eat, that's pretty key. So while it would be good for you to get in the habit of having something to eat (be it some fruit, some oatmeal, a smoothie, leftover pizza..) as breakfast, you don't need to STUFF yourself. At first, if your body isnt used to getting any food until later in the day you'll find you wont be hungry in the morning, so all you'll eat is maybe a small apple or a granola bar. Over time though you might get more used to spreading food out and you'll end up eating more and more in the morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page