How much oil is too much? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Beginner

I eat a vegan diet, and I found that may fat intake can be relatively low. I use oils to boost it and help with GI issues. Is one tablespoon of flax oil AND one tablespoon of olive oil too much to consume every day? Should I replace a tablespoon with another fat like nuts instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

2 tbsp. of oil is not at all too much.

It is actually still too little, if the rest of your diet is fat free.

You will likely find your skin and hair and energy level much better with an increased amount of fat in your diet. You might add a quarter to a half avocado a day, too. It's a wonderful, healthy source of fat.

I think 20% of calories from fat is the healthiest ratio, with the exception being for those with severe heart disease (for whom Dr. Ornish recommends 10% or so fat.)
#3 Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Music Girl

crazycutie, varying the types of fat is best. Nuts & nut butters are great as well. Don't get confused with the word "fat", it is not bad and is in fact essential. Your metabolism, genetics and goals will dictate how much you need I would say a very min of 20% of your intake and up to 30% is fine for many people. So up it, see how you feel, and up it again if you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

You want to keep your fat intake to about 20-30% of your diet. You can go a little lower if your trying to lose weight and a little higher if you're trying to gain weight but 20-30% is a good range for most people. You'll want to get your fat from a variety of foods like oils, nuts, avocados, seeds, tofu, etc. Minimize saturated fat and do your best to avoid transfats (anything that says "hydrogenated" on the ingredients list.)
#5 Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Beginner

Well, with 2 tablespoons of oil, one ounce of nuts, and fats from grains, rice mils, etc about 25% of calories are from fat. With 1.5 tablespoons I get about 22%. so, as long as I get at least 20% I guess I'll be fine.
#6 Old 03-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been wondering about this as well... I eat about a serving of almonds and 1 tbsp of peanut butter a day. Other than that, I do not have a lot of fat in my diet, and I do not use oil when I sauté. Is this not enough or too much fat?
#7 Old 03-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd say that as long as you're using terms like "Tablespoon" to describe your quantities, you're fine.

If you were to start asking if a cup of canola oil and a cup of grapeseed oil were okay to consume each day, we'd probably pass out.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#8 Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I think I consume less fat than the OP because a serving of almonds and half a serving of PB has less fat than two tablespoons of oil... So, I guess I'm fine.
#9 Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Actually, I think I consume less fat than the OP because a serving of almonds and half a serving of PB has less fat than two tablespoons of oil... So, I guess I'm fine.

Well, that was half of the point. The op was asking if this was too much, and many people pointed out that it is nowhere near too much fat, minus any possible special conditions.

You get around 30 grams of fat? I would imagine you get more from food? I hate suggesting this, because it can be a bit time-consuming, but there are many free food-logging sites online. That is one easy way to check if you are getting too much fat, let alone not enough.

I always thought I was eating too much fat. Not I realize I wasn't getting enough. These days, I would say I get around 45-50 grams of fat or more.

It is easy to lower your intake of fat / calories and the like. It is harder to up it. Don't whack yourself in the face if you eat too much sometimes, just remember to eat better tomorrow.

That is my two cents.
#10 Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Well, not exactly. I was asking if I was getting enough fat, not too little. I just didn't know if I should replace the oil with more nuts.

I eat the same amount of nuts as you PLUS the 2 tablespoons of oil, so you may want to think about adding more fat to your diet because that does not seem like enough.
#11 Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've been wondering about this as well... I eat about a serving of almonds and 1 tbsp of peanut butter a day. Other than that, I do not have a lot of fat in my diet, and I do not use oil when I sauté. Is this not enough or too much fat?

I agree with AussieJ - if you are really concerned, it is best if you track your foods online. It is time consuming, but I only did mine for a week to get a general sense of what my diet was like and if there was anything I needed to change. Remember that even things like beans, bread, soy milk, etc. have some (small amounts of) fat in them so it is hard to judge overall fat intake without analyzing your full diet.
#12 Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat at least 2 tbsp. of nut butters a day, but other than that I don't add fat to my diet. I get it from things like grains, almond milk, bread... it doesn't concern me. There's too many calories in a tbsp. of olive oil. And I need more nutrients from fruits and veggies.
#13 Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycutie View Post

Well, not exactly. I was asking if I was getting enough fat, not too little. I just didn't know if I should replace the oil with more nuts.

I eat the same amount of nuts as you PLUS the 2 tablespoons of oil, so you may want to think about adding more fat to your diet because that does not seem like enough.

No, I understand that. LovelyPerv said "'I'd say that as long as you're using terms like "Tablespoon" to describe your quantities, you're fine. If you were to start asking if a cup of canola oil and a cup of grapeseed oil were okay to consume each day, we'd probably pass out." I took that to mean that she thought what I was consuming to be too much, so I replied that I was eating less than you (meaning since other people mentioned you might not be getting enough, then I am not eating too much).
#14 Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

I agree with AussieJ - if you are really concerned, it is best if you track your foods online. It is time consuming, but I only did mine for a week to get a general sense of what my diet was like and if there was anything I needed to change. Remember that even things like beans, bread, soy milk, etc. have some (small amounts of) fat in them so it is hard to judge overall fat intake without analyzing your full diet.

That's true. It's just that sometimes I feel like I am consuming too much, but then other times I feel like I do not get enough... I have dry skin and I've heard fat helps and that dry skin is a sign of not getting enough fat in one's diet... I also do not know if I'm getting enough omega-3s.

I think I should start tracking my foods again online.
#15 Old 03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romina View Post

I eat at least 2 tbsp. of nut butters a day, but other than that I don't add fat to my diet. I get it from things like grains, almond milk, bread... it doesn't concern me. There's too many calories in a tbsp. of olive oil. And I need more nutrients from fruits and veggies.

Well oil is not "just calories" like some think. High quality oils like flax are essential and should be consumed. They are as healthy as getting fruits and veggies in my opinion. If you think about it, there's really not too many calorie in one tablespoon of oil, only about 120. Do you have another reason with not wanting to consume many fats?
#16 Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Beginner

Romina, I just read your blog. The food looks great, but everything you advocate is fat free, calorie free, and low calorie. Where do you get all of your calories and fat from if that is what you're eating? It doesn't seem like much food at all.
#17 Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

My blog is a select few things that I eat. I generally eat 6 equal meals a day including lots of nuts, nut butters, etc. I don't count fats, I just don't add them because I don't feel the need to.

Don't assume that because I post one meal that that is all I am eating.
#18 Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

And by "don't count fats" I mean, I don't count fat grams like I know many people do. It doesn't occur to me. For me, it's more important to get 120 calories worth of nutrient dense foods like fruits and veggies than a tablespoon of oil, that's all. Fat is naturally occurring in many foods so I don't feel it necessary to add to it. For example, I get my Omega-3's from ground flax seeds and hemp seeds, I would rather acquire those fats from whole foods than from just the oils.
#19 Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Beginner

Oh no, I wasn't implying that was all you were eating! Lol that would mean you'd only eat one little thing every few days! Actually, I was trying to ask if you needed to eat a low calorie, and low fat diet for a specific reason, or if you just blog those things because they appeal to the people who do. That was all.

I think I'm going to make a few recipes from your blog also! I'll just add more calories to make them more substancial for me. They look really good, where do you come up with the ideas for your recipes? Are they adaptations or made up all on your own? Either way, job well done delicious!
#20 Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a generally smaller person (5'1") so I don't need to eat as much, however I am also attempting to recover from an eating disorder, so by counting calories, I ensure that I get enough to eat. I try to emphasize on whole foods, and avoid junk foods and refined sugars to make sure my body gets only the best. It seems like a little, but I never feel hungry, so hopefully it is enough food.

As for my recipes, generally I am inspired by what my mother used to make, I use her methods of cooking because I miss them so much. Otherwise I come up with whatever I have in the fridge.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was worried for a minute that other people might assume that I generally ate that little. I post things like calories because it was requested by a few blog readers. =)
#21 Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, I understand that. LovelyPerv said "'I'd say that as long as you're using terms like "Tablespoon" to describe your quantities, you're fine. If you were to start asking if a cup of canola oil and a cup of grapeseed oil were okay to consume each day, we'd probably pass out." I took that to mean that she thought what I was consuming to be too much, so I replied that I was eating less than you (meaning since other people mentioned you might not be getting enough, then I am not eating too much).

Not at all...quite the opposite.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#22 Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Beginner

I usually eat about one tbsp. peanut butter and one tbsp. of olive oil a day. Is that OK?

Oh, do beans have any fat in then? How about granola?
#23 Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

It depends. Beans have very little fat, but granola could have any amount of fat, check the nutrition facts on the package.
#24 Old 03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

Not at all...quite the opposite.

Then I'm a little confused about the "cup of oil" reference... It seemed as if you were saying, "Since you are just saying 'tablespoons,' then that's fine, but anything over that like cups of oil, then we would pass out." But I misinterpret things all the time. Oh well. It's not like in matters that much anyway.
#25 Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I think its best to drop the miscommunications... They're confusing me. :P

To the OP:

Two tablespoons of pure oil is fine. I hope you dont shove it in your mouth like medicine--cus honestly sprinkling it on your salad will taste a lot better... though, to each her own. I'd like to commend your fat choices by the way. Omega 3 and Omega 9 are both healthy and definately essential to your diet! (and are, obviously, what you're getting.) If you're not gaining weight because of it, I'd recommend being generous with your oil. (That's a big if of course. If you are gaining weight then you should pay attention to where you get your calories. I use thedailyplate at the moment and it definately helps me make sure I'm getting a balanced intake--I get to see as the day progresses "oops haven't had almost any protein/fat" (carbs aren't an issue..)
#26 Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

I think its best to drop the miscommunications... They're confusing me. :P

To the OP:

Two tablespoons of pure oil is fine. I hope you dont shove it in your mouth like medicine--cus honestly sprinkling it on your salad will taste a lot better... though, to each her own. I'd like to commend your fat choices by the way. Omega 3 and Omega 9 are both healthy and definately essential to your diet! (and are, obviously, what you're getting.) If you're not gaining weight because of it, I'd recommend being generous with your oil. (That's a big if of course. If you are gaining weight then you should pay attention to where you get your calories. I use thedailyplate at the moment and it definately helps me make sure I'm getting a balanced intake--I get to see as the day progresses "oops haven't had almost any protein/fat" (carbs aren't an issue..)

Omega 9 fatty acids can be synthesized in the body so they are not required in the diet which is what is typically meant by "essential".
#27 Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Then I'm a little confused about the "cup of oil" reference... It seemed as if you were saying, "Since you are just saying 'tablespoons,' then that's fine, but anything over that like cups of oil, then we would pass out." But I misinterpret things all the time. Oh well. It's not like in matters that much anyway.

You're not alone. I thought that, too.

TO the OP: on a regular veg diet 2 tbsp of oil is good. Nothin to worry about. If you replaced it with nuts it wouldnt be much different unless the nuts helped you feel fuller if you were wanting that.
#28 Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Beginner

Wow, this thread got lots of replies!

tarantela- That does not really seem like enough. Think about it, one tablespoon of oil and pb is 20-22 grams of fat and depending on what else you're eating you may be getting like 30 grams. I think a diet should be about 25% fat so it depends on how many calories you eat. So multiply your grams by 9 and divide by calories (if you know). 30*9=270/2000=13.5%fat That's really low.

earthly- No, I don't drink my oil lol! I use it on everything however; salads, grains, hot cereals, whatever. I just don't see how people cannot use oil as I have some GI problems and oil helps, if you know what I mean.
#29 Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Beginner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page