Cyclic Calorie Diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 AM
Beginner

Ok, I want some people opinions on this.

I have been on this cyclic calorie diet for a week. I have lost 1.4kg (3lbs)

What you do is work out how many calories you need per day to MAINTAIN your weight. Formula:

For Men: 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age)

For Women: 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.7 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age)

You then times this number by how active you are:

Sedentary = 1.0

Very light activity = 1.2

Light activity = 1.4

Moderate activity = 1.6

High activity = 1.8

Extreme activity = 2.0

Im a female, 20yo, and lightly active. I need 1964 calories per day to MAINTAIN my current weight. However, I want to lose weight.

The main thing is that your total calorie intake changes per day.

For example (im putting my calories)

Monday - low calories - 1350 kcal

Tuesday - high calories - 1700 kcal

Wednesday - low calories - 1350 kcal

Thursday - moderate calories - 1500 kcal

Friday - low calories - 1350 kcal

Saturday - high calories - 1700 kcal

Sunday - moderate calories - 1500 kcal

There are figures for how much of a deficit you should undertake.

15-20% below maintenance calories = conservative deficit

20-25% below maintenance calories = moderate deficit

25-30% below maintenance calories = aggressive deficit

31-40% below maintenance calories = very aggressive deficit (risky)

50%+ below maintenance calories = semi starvation (potentially dangerous)

Im currently doing a deficit of 23-25%

Obviously you still need to have a balanced diet. But I think my problem was that whilst I was eating moderately healthy, I would eat too much out of boredom or when I wasnt really hungry.

I havent read that much about this diet, it seems to be relatively new?

Benefits are supposed to be;

* It is easy to follow for the client as it doesnt require continuous days and weeks of calorie or carbohydrate restriction.

* It prevents muscle wasting and subsequent metabolic slow down through a quality intake of proteins and calorie/carb surges.

* It provides a quality physiological environment for fat burning and weight loss.

One thing I've found myself is that the "low calorie" days are quite easy to get through because you can look forward to the "high calorie" days. Also, on the high calorie days you can be a little naughty, i.e. I have a packet of potato chips and a vitamin water on those days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 AM

well, maybe there's something wrong with this formula, cause my results tell me I should eat 1276 cals to maintain (I calculated twice). I'm slightly underweight and sedentary, but... yeah. Most online calculators say I should consume around 1500 cals a day, which sounds more normal, I think?
#3 Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounded right to me. I'm overweight and very lightly active... told me to maintain I would need approx 1957 calories a day. Sounds about right. I've been definitely watching what I eat since I've cut meat and 99% dairy/eggs out of my diet (2/16/08), and I've been recording it all on fitday.com (a beautiful site!).

I've been taking in anywhere from 1300 to 1600 calories a day with a little bit of exercise here and there (something I need to push myself more on - I can get pretty lazy!)... and although I haven't had a chance to weigh myself, I've been noticing a teeny bit (I think!) of midsection fluffiness has gone done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Uhh... haha, on the ORIGINAL topic, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg_blondie View Post

Ok, I want some people opinions on this.

I have been on this cyclic calorie diet for a week. I have lost 1.4kg (3lbs)

>formula<

Im a female, 20yo, and lightly active. I need 1964 calories per day to MAINTAIN my current weight. However, I want to lose weight.

The main thing is that your total calorie intake changes per day.

For example (im putting my calories)

Monday - low calories - 1350 kcal

Tuesday - high calories - 1700 kcal

Wednesday - low calories - 1350 kcal

Thursday - moderate calories - 1500 kcal

Friday - low calories - 1350 kcal

Saturday - high calories - 1700 kcal

Sunday - moderate calories - 1500 kcal

There are figures for how much of a deficit you should undertake.

15-20% below maintenance calories = conservative deficit

20-25% below maintenance calories = moderate deficit

25-30% below maintenance calories = aggressive deficit

31-40% below maintenance calories = very aggressive deficit (risky)

50%+ below maintenance calories = semi starvation (potentially dangerous)

Im currently doing a deficit of 23-25%

Obviously you still need to have a balanced diet. But I think my problem was that whilst I was eating moderately healthy, I would eat too much out of boredom or when I wasnt really hungry.

I havent read that much about this diet, it seems to be relatively new?

Benefits are supposed to be;

* It is easy to follow for the client as it doesnt require continuous days and weeks of calorie or carbohydrate restriction.

* It prevents muscle wasting and subsequent metabolic slow down through a quality intake of proteins and calorie/carb surges.

* It provides a quality physiological environment for fat burning and weight loss.

One thing I've found myself is that the "low calorie" days are quite easy to get through because you can look forward to the "high calorie" days. Also, on the high calorie days you can be a little naughty, i.e. I have a packet of potato chips and a vitamin water on those days

I'm not too knowledgeable on dieting and that type of stuff (and this is just from my brain, not a dr's), but I've heard that calories are the way to do it. I haven't heard anything on this "cyclic calorie diet", but it would make sense since if you don't eat enough calories, your body may go into "shock" and will start STORING everything you've taken in, which will contribute to your fluffiness, not weight LOSS. Of COURSE, exercise helps too. "Diet and exercise" is all you hear these days, but it's absolutely true.

I notice that MY biggest change was that I used to skip breakfast, eat lunch around 12 and then when I got home around 5, I would binge on whatever was convenient at home (cookies, frozen dinner, whatever). I was lazy on cooking anything because I wanted food NOW. But now, I take two snacks to work (a piece of fruit and maybe some crackers w or w/o hummus) and then something for "lunch". I also bring water with me EVERYWHERE (I gave up soda along with meat and most dairy/eggs). I don't force anything and only start drinking water when I get thirsty/my mouth is dry. That normally wakes up my tummy around 9am or so and I let it grumble and wake up for another half an hour or so. Then I'll eat my banana or orange or apple or whatever. I've heard fruit is best on an empty stomach because it won't have to rot in your tummy waiting for the REST of your food to get digested (but, then again, not a dr). I did notice, though, that whatever fruit I eat seems to be gone in an hour or so, because my tummy rumbles again around 10-10:30. If I eat crackers first, they usually hold me until lunch. (I'm sorry if I'm rambling!!!) Today, I ate like... 10 little whole wheat Wheat Thins, and my tummy didn't start growling again til 12:30/1-ish. In THIS case, my half of a soy-burger/sauteed onion and mushroom wrap is still digesting, and I'm still full. An hour or so later. Maybe in another hour or when I get home, I'll munch on the applesauce I brought.

But... MY ideas to keep the hunger down would be to eat a little the whole day. I like to think about it like... cavemen/nomads/hunter-gatherers didn't prepare huge meals and only eat 3 times a day. I think they rummaged around ate berries and plants and whatnot here and there all day while they traveled. I think by eating small amounts throughout the day, it keeps your metabolism going and your tummy doesn't get overloaded with a million things to digest at once. I also keep a stock of crackers and such to satisfy little munchies. I eat out of boredom too, but now that I'm recording everything I eat on fitday.com, it helps me cut back/stop. I also ask myself "is my tummy hungry? or is my mouth hungry?" Yeah. Usually my mouth, haha.

Wow. Sorry, I posted 3 chapters here... I'm trying to learn how to cut back on that. I hope I kinda helped...
#5 Old 03-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Calorie counting is enough of a pain without regimenting an entire week. This kind of obsession isn't necessary for a healthy long-term weight loss program. A simplified but just as effective program would mix calorie-intake-deficient days with calorie-intake-neutral days (with maybe a calorie-intake-excessive day once in a while). Don't worry about burning muscle for fuel if you're carrying excess body fat. Your body will burn that first - that what the fat is there for.

How you decide to distribute your calorie intake throughout each day is up to you, and really doesn't matter. Your body will eagerly digest whatever you consume, whenever you consume it. I've been in a weight maintenance mode since 2004, and only eat twice a day - breakfast and dinner. Maintaining my weight is still a struggle because I like to eat, but having three or more meals a day would make weight maintenance even harder. I really like 12 hour separations between major feedings - it has a nice mathematical regularity to it
#6 Old 03-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertfluo View Post

well, maybe there's something wrong with this formula, cause my results tell me I should eat 1276 cals to maintain (I calculated twice). I'm slightly underweight and sedentary, but... yeah. Most online calculators say I should consume around 1500 cals a day, which sounds more normal, I think?

1500 seems low for someone not trying to lose weight. I'm fairly small (weight-wise), 31 years old, and not very active and I'm sure I consume a little over 2000 cals on a typical day.

The number I get with this calculation is way too low for me. If I'm 'slightly active', it says I should consume a little over 1500 to maintain. The only way I would maintain on that few calories would be if I messed up my metabolism and/or never got out of bed again.
#7 Old 03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It says I need around 1,400 on light activity day. That doesn't sound right for maintaining. If I was to cut out 500 (that's what's typical, Right?) for dieting, I'd be eating 900 calories. That's not really healthy.
#8 Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Beginner

Are you guys who are getting strange numbers using height in CENTIMETRES and weight in KILOGRAMS (not feet/inches, pounds)

And no, you dont just cut out 500 calories, you eat 25% less than you need to in order to maintain your weight
#9 Old 03-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg_blondie View Post

Are you guys who are getting strange numbers using height in CENTIMETRES and weight in KILOGRAMS (not feet/inches, pounds)

I converted to kg and cm and believe I calculated right ... 53kg, 169cm, 31y.o., lightly active = 1566cals to maintain ... not enough to maintain for me. 1500 is definately a 'diet' number.
#10 Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I lost 1.5 lbs per week by aiming for 1700 calories/day back in 2004. Moderately active male; 6'2"; went from 180 lbs / BMI 23 to 150 lbs / BMI 19. Blood pressure dropped from 140/90 to 115/80. Many other benefits too numerous to mention.

I got the 1700 figure by subtracting 500 calories/day from the 2200 calories/day break-even figure I calculated from some equation I found on the web; it was remarkably accurate considering that the equation was created early last century. If i had to do it again, I would be less aggressive and aim for one lb per week rather than 1.5.
#11 Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I have heard of cycling before and it has worked for many. The numbers for me personally come out way to high of a caloric intake to maintain my current weight. So if you are losing on this, I would continue .... however (you knew it was coming, lol)

You didn't say what ratios you are working with, protein vs carbs, vs fats? Is this a way of life or a "diet"? Are you getting all your daily nutrition in?
#12 Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if anyone noticed, but in the formula, the first number for men is 66 and the one for women is 655. That could be the problem.
#13 Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

I have heard of cycling before and it has worked for many. The numbers for me personally come out way to high of a caloric intake to maintain my current weight. So if you are losing on this, I would continue .... however (you knew it was coming, lol)

You didn't say what ratios you are working with, protein vs carbs, vs fats? Is this a way of life or a "diet"? Are you getting all your daily nutrition in?

The cyclic thing is a diet. The veg*n thing is a lifestyle.

I dont limit carbs, but I avoid all simple carbs. I try not to eat more than 30% of my calories from fat.

I try to get all my nutrition in. I take a b12 and iron vitamin (one tablet) mainly because I have been anemic in the past (other than dietary reasons, before I was veg) and dont want to travel down that path again.

But, generally, yes I try to eat a very balanced diet, and always include fruit and veggies everyday. My problem usually is that I eat reasonably healthy, but I just eat and eat and eat, out of boredom mostly, so this makes me realise how much I can eat each day. 4 apples is still 4 apple if you know what I mean?
#14 Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

did you know that fruit is a simple carb and that white flour is a complex carb? The benefit of some carbs over others is additional fat, protein, vitamins, and fiber. Not that they're "complex". Regardless, all carbs get converted to sugar when you eat them. ALL of them.
#15 Old 03-16-2008, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

The whole calorie thing never worked for me. Since January I have been eating between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day with a couple of 1,800-1,900 days here and there. I haven't lost an ounce, which doesn't really surprise me. The only time I lost weight was when I was mostly raw. And even then, it took 6 months to lose 43 lbs and then I plateaued. I was eating the same amount of calories, so I think there is more to it than calories in vs. calories out for some people, at least me. If you eat a lot and are sedentary and you start eating less calories and healthier and exercise, then you most likely will loose weight.
#16 Old 03-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

The whole calorie thing never worked for me. Since January I have been eating between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day with a couple of 1,800-1,900 days here and there. I haven't lost an ounce, which doesn't really surprise me.

You have forced your metabolism to be low due to a near-starvation level of calories. That's why you don't lose weight. To lose weight, you would have to cut more calories which obviously doesn't make sense.

It can be more than calories in/out, but in essence that's really what it is. You need to elevate your metabolism to burn more calories. Eating more is a major part of that. WHAT you eat also has something to do with it, as does HOW you burn your calories off.

Basic in/out. But it requires some thought into what you're putting in, and how you're getting it out.
#17 Old 03-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I was told that before and ate 1800-2000 calories a day. I gained 5 lbs. in a month. I even had a personal trainer at one point and she couldn't figure out why I wasn't loosing weight after 4 months of her help. I have been a vegetarian for 19 years and a vegan for 11 years. I don't eat sugar or white products, processed foods are at a minium and I have to eat low fat. I walk between 15,000 and 17,000 steps a day and I strength train 2-3 times a week. Baiscally I am saying I live a healthy life style.

Unforutanely for me I think I have the same problem my grandmother had. She was told by her doctor that she could only loose or maintain a good weight if she ate 900 calories a day. It has something to do with us being Native American and some feast and famine syndrome that some tribes have. She did it for a year and lost the weight, but as soon as she ate over 900 she gained it all back. I refuse to starve myself. Thankfully, I love to exercise and eat healthy so even though I don't loose weight I am not going to stop living a healthy lifestyle.
#18 Old 03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

Unforutanely for me I think I have the same problem my grandmother had. She was told by her doctor that she could only loose or maintain a good weight if she ate 900 calories a day. It has something to do with us being Native American and some feast and famine syndrome that some tribes have. She did it for a year and lost the weight, but as soon as she ate over 900 she gained it all back. I refuse to starve myself. Thankfully, I love to exercise and eat healthy so even though I don't loose weight I am not going to stop living a healthy lifestyle.

Interesting! I am not Native American (well I am.. but only about 16% Cherokee) but am in the same boat. If I eat any more than about 800-1000 calories a day, I gain. I used to be the opposite way: eating however many calories I want and staying WAY underweight.

Then, one day it changed and my metabolism slowed WAYyy down.

So, I try to stick to 800-1000 calories a day, Mon-Thursdays. I loosen up a bit on the weekends, since that is when I tend to go out to eat relatively often. Though.. I do save most of my calories for dinner on those days, having about 200 calories for breakfast, then one small snack. (love the 100 calorie packs!!)
#19 Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you talking about the Pima tribe?

Whether or not you eat sugar, you DO eat sugar and probably a lot of it. It's called carbohydrates. Whole grain bread, brown rice, bulgar, etc - all converts to sugar when you eat it.

Keep your insulin response low and you shouldn't gain a lot of weight. Let me guess - you were eating a ton of carbohydrates to get your 2000 calories per day, right? Brown rice and whole grains and whatnot. Those will stimulate an insulin response (because of the converted sugar in your bloodstream) telling your body to store fat.

Fruits & berries, vegetables, olive oils, soy proteins, squash, roots vegetables like turnips... you might try replacing a lot of your current grainy/starchy carbs with these and see how you go.

One thing that's hit me recently - what do companies feed cattle to fatten them up? Wheat and corn, right? So why do we expect a dramatically different response from our bodies when we eat a lot of wheat & corn? (I know, we're not cattle, but still..)
#20 Old 03-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Martini View Post

did you know that fruit is a simple carb and that white flour is a complex carb? The benefit of some carbs over others is additional fat, protein, vitamins, and fiber. Not that they're "complex". Regardless, all carbs get converted to sugar when you eat them. ALL of them.

oh I meant to say except fruit :P

Its really working for me because I used to be a white bread/pasta/rice addict
#21 Old 03-17-2008, 02:35 AM

Sounds great to me! Well done for having the discipline to stick to it!

I do something similar, although not on purpose lol. I find some days are just higher than others, because some days I'm more of a pig than others.

Keep up the good work
#22 Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I am not all Native American just a 1/4, but the genes are there. The only other people I know in the same boat are all part Native American so who knows.

I actually meant I don't eat sugar as in white, brown, etc. I am not a carb person. I eat bread and pasta only 1-2 a week. As for grain, I only eat whole grain and even then only 1-2 servings a day. Sometimes I don't eat any grain at all. I prefer veggies as my main food eating between 9-12 servings a day. Fruit only 2-3 as I don't care for sweet foods. I can't eat a lot of starchy food because it bothers my digestion, so I couldn't if I wanted to. When I was doing the 2,000 calories I didn't increase grain, but things like beans, tofu, tempeh, raw seeds and nuts, and soy yoghurt. I don't believe in being hungry, so I am not starving myself. It's just about making better choices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page