1550 calories per day - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm using sparkpeople.com to track my nutrition and weight loss efforts. I'm 3 lbs away from a 10 lb weight loss goal I set at the beginning of 2007.

Anyway, it would be such a great birthday present to myself to shake the last 3 lbs (my birthday is on NYE). So I'm down to 1550 calories per day or less. I have been trying to stick to this all month and it's not easy. I've found, when using sparkpeople, that I am consistanly low on calcium and zinc (according to their standards)...usually I'm at about half their estimate of what I need. Aside from taking a supplement, are there any low calorie foods that I can add in to my diet that have calcium or zinc without raising the calories I eat too much? I'd love to stick with whole foods rather than processed ones. Oh, and I'm vegan.

Thanks everyone. It's been ages since I've posted a new thread on here, but I'm back for your wise insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm using sparkpeople.com to track my nutrition and weight loss efforts. I'm 3 lbs away from a 10 lb weight loss goal I set at the beginning of 2007.

Anyway, it would be such a great birthday present to myself to shake the last 3 lbs (my birthday is on NYE). So I'm down to 1550 calories per day or less. I have been trying to stick to this all month and it's not easy. I've found, when using sparkpeople, that I am consistanly low on calcium and zinc (according to their standards)...usually I'm at about half their estimate of what I need. Aside from taking a supplement, are there any low calorie foods that I can add in to my diet that have calcium or zinc without raising the calories I eat too much? I'd love to stick with whole foods rather than processed ones. Oh, and I'm vegan.

Thanks everyone. It's been ages since I've posted a new thread on here, but I'm back for your wise insight.
#3 Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Good job!

Up your weight-bearing and cardio exercise for a real boost, I'd say.

As far as nutrition is concerned:

For zinc, add in peas, beans, brown rice, spinach, tofu or tempeh.

For calcium, add in more green leafy vegetables, calcium-fortified tofu, soy milk, and orange juice

OR Just have a delicious Kashi GoLean Vanilla shake (Trader Joe's has the powder and it's really nutritious and delicious!) made with a light soy milk fortified with calcium as a tasty meal replacement (which is about 300 calories this way).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Good job!

For calcium, add in more green leafy vegetables, calcium-fortified tofu, soy milk, and orange juice

OR Just have a delicious Kashi GoLean Vanilla shake (Trader Joe's has the powder and it's really nutritious and delicious!) made with a light soy milk fortified with calcium as a tasty meal replacement (which is about 300 calories this way).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

leefy greenz
#6 Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Broccoli!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#7 Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Good job!

Ahimsa-- You always amaze me with your vast knowledge of nutrients!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page