sick of being hungry.am i hungry because.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

MAY TRIGGER (involves a weight number) i like food? its everywhere lately and it tastes good.

im eating the wrong things? even though they're the 'right' things.

or because im not eating enough? im not losing weight. but sometimes i overeat and never gain it, so maybe its balancing it out or something? I just did one of those calorie calculators again for the first time in a long time...and it said i needed a lot more than i eat. but another one said i needed less. thoughts??

sorry to bug everyone but im feeling like crap and not sure why.

i dont exercise as much as i used to, particularly this month because ive been busy ..and tired.

im 164cms tall and weigh 49kgs (have gained a lotta weight this year. much better!) . i walk at least half an hour a day at a slow-moderate speed, usually about 40 minutes though, and bikeride 30 minutes 3 times a week (sometimes on top of the walking sometimes not..). i used to lift weights etc but just don't have the energy at the moment.

right now i eat 1850 calories or so . apparently, according to some sites, thats too much. others say i need 2000something. i really have no clue. and am sick of guessing because its not working out! im worried that i have no energy because the 2000 suggestions are right..but am too scared to just 'experiment' incase they're not.. eheh.

(that said i do go 'over' on occasion. but thats besides the point!!)

anyway..yeah just curious..as to the weight and height and exercise thing.

advice is super.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

n.b. this is coming from a healthy point of view, not obsessive. i really enjoy food at the moment. im just trying to get the best thing happening. or..something. i just..like to know im doing the right thing
#3 Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

..so im trying the higher number. i dont want to gain, because i dont want to have to lose (which might be sort of..old-ED-triggery) ...but i dont want to feel crap forever and this just might be it

so i went for the higher number. and feel so sick. possibly coz i decided to do that at dinner time..so had to make up the difference. blergh

teehee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Taurus, I dont know what to tell you because as you saw in my other post I have the same problem...

I just ate breakfast an hour and a half ago and I'm ravenous again so I just ate my second breakfast? Agh...I couldnt even make it two hours! This is so frustrating...and its not like I'm eating low fiber foods, its all whole grain and should be filling...

I'm awaiting suggestions from fellow Veggieboarders myself, and I've decided to see a nutritionist (dont know how much this is gonna help because I've tried this before and didnt learn anything I didnt already know, but my friend recommended this one so we'll see).

Good luck!
#5 Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Beginner

What are the "right things" you're eating? Are you, for example, getting enough iron and protein? Anemia can cause lack of energy, and not enough protein (and fat) can make you hungry faster, since carbs are quick to digest.

How closely are you monitoring your caloric intake? Is it at 1850 because that's what seems natural to you or because you're sticking to a recommendation? If it's the latter, perhaps you should try letting yourself eat as much as your body seems to want. With as much exercise as you're getting, you should be able to eat more (as long as it doesn't make you sick, of course) than 1850 calories a day without gaining weight.
#6 Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

hey sugarblue, yup, ive been following and am sorry you're having the same problem! and yes, the fibre etc. same here!! i eat a TON of it. and protein. and stacks of fat. and EVERYTHING. but its just not ...i dont know. and yes, i nutritionist is a good idea. it would actually be useful if i 'could' eat a few hundred more calories coz then some of my relatively skimpy meals (small amounts but often works best for me) could be ACTUAL meals.

shajen- i eat that much because its how much im 'sposed' to. some days i could eat less and have to concentrate on getting that much, but most of the time i eat that and could stomach more no problems. i guess the exercise is really the bit that confuses me. i would say that was 'lightly active' which is the way ive been eating. but if in fact its more, then i guess i should be eating more?thanks for your advice
#7 Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

oh and after my test run of more calories yesterday, i think im definetely convinced ill give it a whirl. i didn't spend the whole night thinking about food. i was very satisfied! slightly guilty because its not like im losing weight rapidly on what i eat, but still. i woke up full and feeling sick this morning, but thats probably because it wasn't spread out throughout the day (which im excited to do. like i said, those few hundred will make a huge difference to what goes on sandwiches etc) . ill give it a whirl, i guess :/

and as for protein, how much 'should' someone get?? i think the minimum for me is 40 and i get about 70.

does that sound ok?
#8 Old 09-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Hello Taurus,

I am new here & Body Building beginner, I am getting you very well, I think you should improve..

There are lots of things you could keep on hand to eat, peanut butter, whole grain bread, and beef jerky, almonds. For all these things I would refer you an online store called http://bayho.com. It’s one of the best online store for buying nutrition, vitamins, supplements.

Hope this Helps!!
#9 Old 09-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBlue27 View Post

I just ate breakfast an hour and a half ago and I'm ravenous again so I just ate my second breakfast? Agh...I couldnt even make it two hours! This is so frustrating...and its not like I'm eating low fiber foods, its all whole grain and should be filling...

Not really. Eating a bowl of Cracklin Oat Bran or Cheerios won't keep you full for hours. You need to have fat & protein as well. Have two pieces of whole-grain toast with a bunch of peanut butter and a glass of milk or soymilk instead. The whole grains PLUS the fat and protein will keep you fuller.

Or maybe eat those Clif "Builder" bars for breakfast. Lots of protein and they stay with you for quite a while.

Remember the fat and protein thing. They take longer to digest and, therefore, keep you full longer. And, it's a lot better for you than just eating a bowl of fiber-filled carbohydrates all by itself.
#10 Old 09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the response

and i think its working well. i think. i dont know. i don't mean to ask stupid questions, but yeah.

still concerned im getting 'too much' protein. and too many calories overall but i feel a lot better so maybe even if i am, i don't mind.

hmm. what about the days where im not active at all ?(ie today. sunday) ..do i eat as much as on the other days? or less?
#11 Old 09-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to trade concerns with you. You can have my constant, nagging nausea that only sporadically allows you to eat, and when you do, you may or may not get sick afterwards. (There is no way to determine this outcome prior to eating)

Really though, eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. Only stop trusting your body's hunger signals if you start gaining weight *above a healthy weight*. (That is, if you're underweight, and you're gaining, then you probably are hungry all the time because you're underweight and you NEED to gain.) The only way you will every actually know how many calories you need in a day is to do one of those crazy metabolism tests at the hospital where you get wrapped in plastic and what not. And who wants to do that anyway?

And OregonAmy --> I wish Cracklin' Oat Bran was low fat. Man that stuff is good.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 09-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

oh, lol, I haven't had it in probably 15 years. It was just the first thing that came to mind that sounded high fiber. I should have said Uncle Sam instead
#13 Old 09-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

oh, lol, I haven't had it in probably 15 years. It was just the first thing that came to mind that sounded high fiber. I should have said Uncle Sam instead

1/2 cup is like 200 calories and 10+ grams of fat.

(Has palm oil AND coconut... ohh man it's good. I haven't had it in forever either because I KNOW I can't just eat 1/2 cup)

... or rice krispies. Man that's like eating air.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 09-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

And OregonAmy --> I wish Cracklin' Oat Bran was low fat. Man that stuff is good.

Most delicious food that could pass for dog food!
#15 Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Beginner

I'm glad you're feeling better, taurushead! 70 g of protein sounds fine. It's over the minimum recommendation but not by too much. Try not to worry about whether you're eating "too much" by the numbers--if you feel good, you're doing fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page