So...I had my wisdom teeth removed. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

And now I can't eat. Literally.

It is strange, before I would have been happy with this, but now it is actually disconcerting...I am a bit underweight (BMI 18) and I really can't afford to lose anymore weight. I think if I do it will trigger the ED.

I've been drinking 100% juice and soymilk, even some gatorade, when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full, but it isn't cutting it..I'm losing weight. I've lost five pounds already and it's only been three days since the procedure. And I'm mainly laying on the couch all day, because the vicodin I'm on has me pretty much in an incoherent state for about twenty hours a day (I skipped a dose just to make this post )

I don't want to bring this up with my doctor and/or parents, because the last thing I want to hear at this time is that it's okay if I lose a few pounds and to stop worrying...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

So many issues here.

Are you sure you don't want to bring it up with your parents because of the reasons you state? Wouldn't your mom/dad also be worried about an ED "relapse"?

Are you in pain still? 3 days after a wisdom tooth procedure, there should be only some tenderness from the stitches perhaps. If you're still in pain, especially enough so that you're taking Vicodin, then you might want to give the dentist a call.

If you're worried about the weight, try eating some extra fatty foods like guacamole/avocado, peanut butter maybe.

If it's only 1-2 days, then you probably don't have to worry about this at all.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 08-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I am still in pain; I have a really low pain tolerance. My dentist prescribed me twenty vicodin pills with the directions to take one every six hours, so he gave me enough for five days if I need it.

A friend of mine had her wisdom teeth removed a while ago and she couldn't chew properly for a couple of weeks afterwards due to complications..which is why I am concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

You should be able to eat soft food, especially after three days. Have some applesauce, mashed potatoes, noodles, or soup. I even managed harder foods by chewing with my incisors and canines after my surgery.

Jen's right. My mom made me go to school three days after my wisdom tooth surgery. I was still taking pain meds (I think I was on liquid Vicodin), but only once or twice a day and I was eating soft solids. Did your doctor say you should still be taking the Vicodin that often?
#5 Old 08-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a little nervous about trying soft foods. >.< I guess I'll just have to.

I'm only taking vicodin twice a day now. The first day I took it four times, yikes.
#6 Old 08-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I had my wisdom teeth out earlier this year, and I wound up with a muscle spasm that gave me quite a bit of trouble for about a week or so.

I didn't eat anything for the first 2 days, but then I was ok with soft foods like hummus, guacamole, mac n cheese, soups, yogurt (with milled flax seeds), ice cream (I ate a few pints of soy delicious), soft fruits like bananas and avocado, apple sauce... etc.

Smoothies, milkshakes and soups that you can drink can all pack in the calories.

It takes work, but I managed to get at least 1200-1400 cals a day without actually chewing.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#7 Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I second the smoothies, milkshakes...anything that will provide some extra calories for now.
#8 Old 08-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Well there is good advice there ^ for the eating side ...

I had some teeth surgical removed , they gased me to do it . Any way the guy told me if the pain got unbearable to put a soaked tea bag on the wound . I thought his advice was a load of rot . But the pain did get unbearable and I would have put my head in the toilet if it helped . So i put the teabag on the wound and it work almost immediately .....it seems its the tannin in it .
#9 Old 08-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

There's also the thing about 'dry socket'...not sure if it's just for regular teeth pulling or if it can happen with removal of wisdom teeth as well. Apparently it's extremely painful and needs treatment from the dentist/oral surgeon.
#10 Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Well there is good advice there ^ for the eating side ...

I had some teeth surgical removed , they gased me to do it . Any way the guy told me if the pain got unbearable to put a soaked tea bag on the wound . I thought his advice was a load of rot . But the pain did get unbearable and I would have put my head in the toilet if it helped . So i put the teabag on the wound and it work almost immediately .....it seems its the tannin in it .

I had some dental surgery a few years ago in preparation for implant placement. The area kept oozing blood well into the next day, so I called the oral surgeon, and he told me to press a tea bag against the area to help stop the oozing. It worked! I went through several bags of tea. I used mint tea for the coolness factor.

*this space not for sale*
#11 Old 08-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

milkshakes.

i got my wisdom teeth pulled, and it hurts really badly, i know. try oatmeal for more sustenance, or other porridge-consistency grains like some soft polenta? applesauce is good for fruit servings and soup is awesome of course.
#12 Old 08-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone
#13 Old 08-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Hope you're feeling better. I'm beginning the think I was really lucky with my wisdom teeth removal.

Another thing that sounds silly, but works if you really can't chew at all, might be babyfood. I used this once, and a coworker also had some after an oral surgery.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page