Good Sources of Protein - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 AM

Tomorrow I am starting my new diet(No Animal-products). Could people list some great foods that contain (complete)proteins?

I know all of the controversy over high-protein diets, but to perform well in sprinting, I need to have adequate protein intake ( at least 70g). My main source of protein in the past was meat and dairy. Since both of these are animal based I am afraid I will have a hard time getting my 70g a day. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Whey protein IS an animal based product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Banned

Great info on this subject can be found here:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
#3 Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the great link! So encouraging to see that I can still meet my protein needs when eating vegan!

I know this deserves another thread, but I noticed on that link it lists soy milk as a protein option. From what I have been reading on the Internet, it seems that Soy is actually more harmful than good. Now, is this just propaganda or do you agree with that sentiment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

people go back and forth about soy products. we need to always consider the sources of this "research" as well.

for me, unless i had a high incidence of breast cancer in my family, i would eat it just fine. (and i do!! yum!) that seems to be the one concern i see any possible relevance to, IMO.

but i think anything is best in moderation.

whole soy is better...edamame, etc.

also, protein is found in grains like quinoa (which is a super!food) and brown rice.

and of course, beans (chickpeas, pinto, etc.)

dr. andrew weil is a great source for (i think) fair advice. his site is either naturalhealth.com or just google him (i forget his website addy..eek)

i think a stirfry is a great example of a complete meal (there must be SOME reason why they are so popular!).... a grain (or noodles...they even have quinoa noodles), lots of veggies, some tofu or edammame, etc. it can be a very balanced meal.
#5 Old 08-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

hey nobodyreal, congratulations on your quest for a non-violent diet! So very awesome. Makes me happy & makes you a cool person in my book.

That was a pretty good synopsis of the facts about protein in the link Mr. Falafel provided, it was a good refresher for me. Specifically I think you'll find seitan to be extremely useful as a high protein source that's tasty to boot. 22.1 g/100 cal? That's about twice as protein-dense as a lot of "powerbar" type items.

I haven't found it as plentiful & cheap to find as a cooking ingredient, but a really convenient item is some flavors of "Primal Strips" (link anyone?) that are similar to soy jerky. I can snack on them or slice them into other foods. Seitan is often what they use as a mock meat in veggie Chinese dishes. Chewy meaty texture, made from vital wheat gluten.

I've kept away from a lot of the convenience soy foods, partly from the health concerns about non-fermented soy, and partly for consumer choice concerns. Soybeans are a big agribusiness crop, and I'd rather not give all my money to Monsanto & ADM. It's always a good idea to diversify your diet anyway.

Here's a broccoli smilie to remind you of what a super-food broccoli is. I feel like a person could live on broccoli, lentils, and Guinness beer on tap.

Cheers!
#6 Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

guiness is clarified through gelatin, no?

you can also make your own seitan at home w/ the vital wheat gluten. thats going to be my next new adventure

we shall see...
#7 Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

well I can't drink it anymore anyway due to a new medication. As it happens I rarely drank it once I became vegan, altho I didn't realize it wasn't vegan, but it seems like such a nice milkshake substitute.

sigh
#8 Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

mojitos are my new tea substitutions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page