VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Diets & Losing Weight (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/)
-   -   Good Sources of Protein (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/35-diets-losing-weight/70129-good-sources-protein.html)

nobodyreal 08-23-2007 08:13 AM

Tomorrow I am starting my new diet(No Animal-products). Could people list some great foods that contain (complete)proteins?

I know all of the controversy over high-protein diets, but to perform well in sprinting, I need to have adequate protein intake ( at least 70g). My main source of protein in the past was meat and dairy. Since both of these are animal based I am afraid I will have a hard time getting my 70g a day. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Whey protein IS an animal based product.

MrFalafel 08-23-2007 08:30 AM

Great info on this subject can be found here:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

nobodyreal 08-23-2007 01:30 PM

Thanks for the great link! So encouraging to see that I can still meet my protein needs when eating vegan!

I know this deserves another thread, but I noticed on that link it lists soy milk as a protein option. From what I have been reading on the Internet, it seems that Soy is actually more harmful than good. Now, is this just propaganda or do you agree with that sentiment?

LucidAnne 08-23-2007 08:06 PM

people go back and forth about soy products. we need to always consider the sources of this "research" as well.

for me, unless i had a high incidence of breast cancer in my family, i would eat it just fine. (and i do!! yum!) that seems to be the one concern i see any possible relevance to, IMO.

but i think anything is best in moderation.

whole soy is better...edamame, etc.

also, protein is found in grains like quinoa (which is a super!food) and brown rice.

and of course, beans (chickpeas, pinto, etc.)

dr. andrew weil is a great source for (i think) fair advice. his site is either naturalhealth.com or just google him (i forget his website addy..eek)

i think a stirfry is a great example of a complete meal (there must be SOME reason why they are so popular!).... a grain (or noodles...they even have quinoa noodles), lots of veggies, some tofu or edammame, etc. it can be a very balanced meal.

panthera 08-23-2007 09:37 PM

hey nobodyreal, congratulations on your quest for a non-violent diet! So very awesome. Makes me happy & makes you a cool person in my book.

That was a pretty good synopsis of the facts about protein in the link Mr. Falafel provided, it was a good refresher for me. Specifically I think you'll find seitan to be extremely useful as a high protein source that's tasty to boot. 22.1 g/100 cal? That's about twice as protein-dense as a lot of "powerbar" type items.

I haven't found it as plentiful & cheap to find as a cooking ingredient, but a really convenient item is some flavors of "Primal Strips" (link anyone?) that are similar to soy jerky. I can snack on them or slice them into other foods. Seitan is often what they use as a mock meat in veggie Chinese dishes. Chewy meaty texture, made from vital wheat gluten.

I've kept away from a lot of the convenience soy foods, partly from the health concerns about non-fermented soy, and partly for consumer choice concerns. Soybeans are a big agribusiness crop, and I'd rather not give all my money to Monsanto & ADM. It's always a good idea to diversify your diet anyway.

Here's a broccoli smilie to remind you of what a super-food broccoli is. I feel like a person could live on broccoli, lentils, and Guinness beer on tap.

Cheers!

LucidAnne 08-23-2007 10:42 PM

guiness is clarified through gelatin, no?

you can also make your own seitan at home w/ the vital wheat gluten. thats going to be my next new adventure

we shall see...

panthera 08-23-2007 10:57 PM

well I can't drink it anymore anyway due to a new medication. As it happens I rarely drank it once I became vegan, altho I didn't realize it wasn't vegan, but it seems like such a nice milkshake substitute.

sigh

LucidAnne 08-24-2007 12:12 PM

mojitos are my new tea substitutions.