fitday - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, i decided to try out fitday.com to keep a check on my foods and what not. I looked at the reports and i'm getting enough of most nutrients, i could do with upping a few of them though.

I'm concerned about the reports on my calories eaten and things.. it seems i'm eating over 50% carbs.. is this too high, should i try and lower this? i also need to get more protein even though i thought i was doing alright.

Also i need advice on good sources of vitamin's D & A; and good sources of zinc and calcium.

Also, due to my very active lifestyle and my tough jobs i am buring way more calories than i am eating. Any suggestions on high calorie foods?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post

Ok, i decided to try out fitday.com to keep a check on my foods and what not. I looked at the reports and i'm getting enough of most nutrients, i could do with upping a few of them though.

I'm concerned about the reports on my calories eaten and things.. it seems i'm eating over 50% carbs.. is this too high, should i try and lower this? i also need to get more protein even though i thought i was doing alright.

Also i need advice on good sources of vitamin's D & A; and good sources of zinc and calcium.

Also, due to my very active lifestyle and my tough jobs i am buring way more calories than i am eating. Any suggestions on high calorie foods?

Thanks.

You should be getting more than 50% of your calories from carbohydrates ... assuming that you're eating fruits, veggies, grains, beans, etc rather than soda and candy. Generally speaking, 55-65% is a good range. Sounds like you are right on.

For protein, I've heard it's ideal to get about 1g per kilogram of weight (divide your weight in pounds by 2.2). This will probably be somewhere between 10 and 20% of your calories, 20% being on the high side. Most people shouldn't consume more than 30% protein.
#3 Old 08-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd also like to add that the FitDay nutrient calculator is only as good as the data it has to work with. If a food only has nutrient data entered for protein, carbs, fat, and calcium, every other nutrient is going to show up as zero, throwing off your data. I did a week or two of food analysis once, and came up as having only 2% of vitamin K. Well guess what? I was getting lots of vit K, it's just that most of the foods I was eating didn't have the nutrient data entered for vit K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

You should be getting more than 50% of your calories from carbohydrates ... assuming that you're eating fruits, veggies, grains, beans, etc rather than soda and candy. Generally speaking, 55-65% is a good range. Sounds like you are right on.

For protein, I've heard it's ideal to get about 1g per kilogram of weight (divide your weight in pounds by 2.2). This will probably be somewhere between 10 and 20% of your calories, 20% being on the high side. Most people shouldn't consume more than 30% protein.

Great thanks. I'm not eating candy and i drink maybe 1 soda/day. wow... maybe i am on the right track. seems like i just need to up my calorie intake, and get more vitamin A, D and maybe E.

Still need clues on high calicum foods.
#5 Old 08-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

I'd also like to add that the FitDay nutrient calculator is only as good as the data it has to work with. If a food only has nutrient data entered for protein, carbs, fat, and calcium, every other nutrient is going to show up as zero, throwing off your data. I did a week or two of food analysis once, and came up as having only 2% of vitamin K. Well guess what? I was getting lots of vit K, it's just that most of the foods I was eating didn't have the nutrient data entered for vit K.

hmmm.. i noticed that i had to change and modify some of their data to match what my foods actually had in them.

Any ideas for a better nutrient calculator?
#6 Old 08-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post

hmmm.. i noticed that i had to change and modify some of their data to match what my foods actually had in them.

Any ideas for a better nutrient calculator?

I'm not aware of any really good free calculators. You have to pay good money for the really good ones

If you're into paperwork and doing some math, you could always look up the data in the USDA food database which has a lot of nutrient info on each food. Then you could calculate your daily intake and compare it to what you should be getting (it's best to average out a few days). It might be easier to do this for just a couple of nutrients, because this can get quite tedious

As for good sources of calcium: fortified 'milks', cereals, and juices, sesame seeds & tahini, kale, dried figs, almonds, spinach, tofu, etc.
#7 Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I just found this: NATS. They claim to use the USDA database. Might be worth a try, just keep an eye out for suspicious values.
#8 Old 08-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow fyvel..thanks alot!! i'll check out the site and see what i come up with. i could always do the math when i'm at work.

thanks for the sources of calcium too, i always forget about spinach.
#9 Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

You're welcome

If you have the time and motivation to do the calculations manually, I think it's a good experience. It teaches you about what foods are high in what nutrients, etc. I had to do a 3 (or 4?) day assessment as an assignment in my intro nutrition class. It was really time consuming and tedious, but a good experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page