Carbs... ?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm trying to drop a few pounds, nothing too big, just so that I can feel healthy again. I keep to fairly small portions, I have about 5 small meals a day, and I chow down on tons of fruits and veggies (my dad has a HUGE garden!). I get plenty of exercise: I ride horses (quite a workout), walk my dog a lot, and do light strength training 3 days a week). I also eat a LOT of beans. I just realized though, that my diet is fairly carb-heavy. I eat cereals every morning, and beans have lots of carbs in them, along with the wraps and tortillas that I eat them with.

Maybe this is my problem in losing a few pounds? No matter what I do, I can't seem to lose anything. I'm not really willing to cut back on beans, because they are my main source of protein (I don't like "fake" meats or things like tofu). Are there any substitutes or anything else I can do to finally make these few pounds come off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Try cutting down your bean portion of your meals and have more veggies. It's easy to pile on the beans, and pile on the rice and think "there's a lovely healthy plate" but you can end up having quite a high carb load.

But don't forget, carbs are good, don't go mad and knock them out of your diet.
#3 Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I have similar questions. If your calorie count winds up the same, how much can eating carbs affect your weight? My weight has crept up slightly, not alarmingly (I'm still in a fine weigh-range), and recently I seem to be eating more grains. I wonder if it's related. They're all whole grains, but I never used to get more than 2-3 servings of grains per day, and now it's closer to 5-6. I do count my calories and my intake is the same, it's just that grains make up a higher proportion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Wasn't it a month ago when you were happy with your weight, and now you're back to trying to lose weight again?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 08-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're eating healthfully, and you're active then you're probably at a healthy weight, unless there is a medical condition we don't know about.

If you take care of it your body will find a healthy weight specific to YOU, and it's generally better to accept that than try to fight it so you can be at someone else's healthy weight.
#6 Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I am happy with myself, RabidChild, but circumstances change. I went to my doctor for a check-up, and he said a lot of my skin problems (my skin is terrible. Eczema covers most of my back and arms, and it comes and goes like crazy. I get weird bumps on my fingers and arms sometimes, and they itch like crazy) could be related to the fact that I need to lose a bit of weight. I'd be fine staying just like I am, but if anything will help my skin, I'm willing to try it. I'm sick of my skin conditions dominating my life.
#7 Old 08-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Conditions don't dominate life, YOU dominate life... I dunno if that made any sense, just some philosophy I can eleborate on if you wish.

For your question, watch out for the four W's: White Rice, White Bread, Salt and Sugar. You can have beans, but not the rice. Replace the cereal with flavored oatmeal or Kashi cereal, and cut down or eliminate white bread. Eat sprouted or whole wheat bread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page