Is there a name for...(my diet)?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Hi,

I'm trying a diet of mainly fruit and veg and im just wandering out of curiosity if there's a name for it?

I'm doing it because i think it's a healthy option but i would like more info if anyone has any?

I tend to eat fruit for my breakfast... cooked vegetables for lunch and evening meal...snack on tomatoes and raw fruit..

Sometimes nuts....

I still drink milk as i have a coffee everyday too, but I mostly just drink as much water as i can and lots of herbal tea.

I'm avoiding anything unnatural, bread and processed food.

I'm taking vegetarian multi vitamins and iron tablets... and drinking fruit juices containing acai berrys.

I'm faily new to this so any info is much appreciated.

Ta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayspec View Post

Hi,

I'm trying a diet of mainly fruit and veg and im just wandering out of curiosity if there's a name for it?

Would you believe 'Fruitarian'

If you Google it, you'll find a lot of info. I'll have a look myself when I've done the washing up (the kettle's boiling)
#3 Old 05-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Yeah i googled that, but it seems to involve more fruit than veg and mostly raw.

Where as I eat mostly cooked vegetables... either boiled or roasted in olive oil...

I want to buy a steamer, just no ££ atm

I do eat things like raw cabbage, raw brocolli and carrots, just couldn't only eat raw foods.

I know fruit is full of sugar which is why im eating more veg... but can you ever eat too many vegetables?

I seem to be constantly snacking...

I don't like to eat many potatos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

can you ever eat too many vegetables?

I seem to be constantly snacking...

I don't like to eat many potatos

I'm pretty sure that Dr John McDougall (drmcdougall.com) says you can't overeat on just veggies and he recommends that you eat all you want.

He suggests limiting fruit to 3 servings a day.

There's something plaintively poetic about the last 2 lines of your post. I might adopt it as a signature. (I'll pay royalties to you if I do)
#5 Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hi,

it's called 'unbalanced'. you need good fats and more protein.
#6 Old 05-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

How can it be 'unbalanced' if someone is eating 'mainly' veg and fruit?

Excess protein and fat is linked to many diseases.

(The average Chinese person gets 94% of their protein from vegetable sources.)
#7 Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you getting enough calories?

But uh, it sounds like you're diet would be called lacto-vegetarian.
#8 Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

(The average Chinese person gets 94% of their protein from vegetable sources.)

I don't believe this either. I googled it though, and the only reference I could get for that stat was to some unheard of tribe of mexican indians. [link]
#9 Old 05-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd call the diet "vegetarian" personally.
#10 Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Bof
Banned

Hu,J - Dietry intakes and urinary excretion of calcium and acids: a cross sectional study of women in China. Am J Clin Nutr 58:398, 1993.

Abelow, B - Cross-cultural association between dietary animal protein and hip fracture. Calcific Tissue Int 50:14, 1992
#11 Old 05-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in those articles. I looked them up on Google Scholar and found them and read the pages referenced. There is a graph on page 402 that shows food types for the people sampled, by county, that maybe it's referencing, and people in 3 specific counties in China that had very low meat intake, but a 94% average isn't referenced and seems oddly low. It's not a big deal, I guess I'm just wary of claims that seem counterintuitive, especially when they're on China given the popularity of that one China Study book that was full of inaccuracies.
#12 Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

I take a vegetarian food supplement containing the 3 omega oils, and my diet has a lot of acai berries and avocado's, both rich good fats.

You can also get plenty of protein from nuts, which i did say i'm eating occasionally.

I think the main thing is that i don't want to eat anything unnatural, and i'm not interested in being a vegetarian who eats "meat style" products, vegetarian ready meals...cheese etc

just thought more people might be into this and wanted to know more about how it could effect me.
#13 Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

You can buy a steamer tray for a pot in just about any dollar store. You don't need to spend money on an electric steamer. Boiling veggies saps the nutrients.

I would be concerned about your diet being balanced as well. I don't know much about fruitarians, except that a lot of thought is put into a well balanced diet to ensure there are enough fats and proteins. What is the concern with grains that are not highly processed?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

If you don't limit potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, corn and other complex carb veggies and eat avocados and nuts and olive oil I don't think your eating habits are unbalanced at all.

I'd say your way of eating sounds much better than vegans who eat veggie burgers, newman o's, fakin bacon, and soymilk all the time. In my opinion, many vegans get too many bready things, too much soy, and not enough vegetables.

What about beans? Do you eat them?
#15 Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

If you don't limit potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, corn and other complex carb veggies and eat avocados and nuts and olive oil I don't think your eating habits are unbalanced at all.

I'd say your way of eating sounds much better than vegans who eat veggie burgers, newman o's, fakin bacon, and soymilk all the time. In my opinion, many vegans get too many bready things, too much soy, and not enough vegetables.

What about beans? Do you eat them?

I do try limit 1 potato a day, and i'll eat stuff like avocados and nuts when i fancy them. Im not interested in losing weight or anything, i just want to eat a natural diet with as much food as possible not having anyone have to pre-treat/make it/do something to it before hand. I'm also highley interested in environment issues and think buying loose fruit and veg from my market is going to have quite a low carbon emission.

As i originally said, i haven't fully switched completely to this diet... i'm actually quite suprised more people aren't doing something similar, to me seems way more balanced than most that you can find books about on your high street.
#16 Old 05-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I take a vegetarian food supplement containing the 3 omega oils, and my diet has a lot of acai berries and avocado's, both rich good fats.

You can also get plenty of protein from nuts, which i did say i'm eating occasionally.

I think the main thing is that i don't want to eat anything unnatural, and i'm not interested in being a vegetarian who eats "meat style" products, vegetarian ready meals...cheese etc

just thought more people might be into this and wanted to know more about how it could effect me.

excellent. my apologies, as i mis-interpreted your post.
#17 Old 05-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Veggie Regular

But is it maintainable? What about birthday's, parties, social events, etc...?
#18 Old 05-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I'd call the diet "vegetarian" personally.

A realfoods vegetarian is what I'd call it. Realfoods vegetarian is a term I coined myself because I couldn't find a word for it, either. I've been doing that diet (mostly) for about the past 4 years, now and I love it! I basically eat anything any other veg*n would eat, except I want things as minimally processed as I can get it.

Birthdays, social events, etc don't bother me much, IF at all. Most of the time, there'll be a salad for me and if not, I'll either just have water/hot tea or I'll go with whatever they've got that's the least processed.

Glad to meet another realfoodist!
#19 Old 05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't sound unbalanced at all. Sounds like you hit the spot with the foods you're getting. With the way the food you're eating is natural, perhaps it could be called a "food naturalist". I don't know...

Do you eat eggs and other dairy besides milk??
#20 Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

i agree with music girl fruit and veg cover everything

Avocado=fats

Starchy and fruits=carbs

mushrooms+beans+peas=protein

#21 Old 06-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, congrats! You are a vegetarian.
#22 Old 06-09-2007, 02:46 PM

uh....vegetarian of course....just an unbalanced and possibly unhealthy vegetarian diet. You really have to consume more good fat, protein, and good whole grain carbohydrates.
#23 Old 06-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I don't believe this either. I googled it though, and the only reference I could get for that stat was to some unheard of tribe of mexican indians. [link]

I don't see why 94% seems so unreasonable for China. Most Chinese are of the "peasant class," and eat little to no dairy and almost no meat. Eggs are generally a once or twice a week treat.

The levels of protein in their staples, rice and potatoes (and increasingly, corn) are not insignificant, soy is quite common, and green leafy vegetables are relatively loaded with protein, per calorie.
#24 Old 06-09-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Hey, congrats! You are a vegetarian.

#25 Old 06-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntbttrdino View Post

uh....vegetarian of course....just an unbalanced and possibly unhealthy vegetarian diet. You really have to consume more good fat, protein, and good whole grain carbohydrates.

perhaps you should backread some of the other posts.

the OP's diet has been approved of as balanced in these posts...

on another note, i like the terms "realfoods vegetarian" and "food naturalist". very cool sounding labels.
#26 Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

I don't see why 94% seems so unreasonable for China. Most Chinese are of the "peasant class," and eat little to no dairy and almost no meat. Eggs are generally a once or twice a week treat.

Many Chinese are lactose-intolerant, so the dairy-free facet isn't exactly surprising.

According to this, Chinese eat about 50g of meat per day (more if they're urban dwellers). That's about 2 ounces, which is about half a serving of meat in the west. Figure a bit of shredded chicken in a rice dish at lunch, and a couple pieces of pork in a noodle soup at dinner - that's hardly "almost no meat".

And UC Davis seems to think that egg consumption in China is pretty high on a per-capita basis. It's barely behind the US.

Where are you getting your information?
#27 Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hi,

I'm doing it because i think it's a healthy option but i would like more info if anyone has any?

I tend to eat fruit for my breakfast... cooked vegetables for lunch and evening meal...snack on tomatoes and raw fruit..

Sometimes nuts....

I still drink milk as i have a coffee everyday too, but I mostly just drink as much water as i can and lots of herbal tea.

I'm avoiding anything unnatural, bread and processed food.

I'm taking vegetarian multi vitamins and iron tablets... and drinking fruit juices containing acai berrys.

I'm faily new to this so any info is much appreciated.

Ta

You're a vegetarian.

Why not bread? Whole grains are extremely healthy for you. If you're worried about additives, you can buy all-natural bread, or make it yourself (it's not that hard). It can be time-consuming, but if you get a bread machine it's actually super-easy.

Others have said everything else I'd say about fiber and protein. And if you're taking iron tablets, it's probably worth researching and/or talking to your doctor about whether that's a better idea than trying to get iron through your food. They can cause problems in people who don't actually have low iron levels.
#28 Old 06-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Many Chinese are lactose-intolerant, so the dairy-free facet isn't exactly surprising.

According to this, Chinese eat about 50g of meat per day (more if they're urban dwellers). That's about 2 ounces, which is about half a serving of meat in the west. Figure a bit of shredded chicken in a rice dish at lunch, and a couple pieces of pork in a noodle soup at dinner - that's hardly "almost no meat".

And UC Davis seems to think that egg consumption in China is pretty high on a per-capita basis. It's barely behind the US.

Where are you getting your information?

I don't recall the specifics on the egg data: I got my impression while participating in a study comparing the foods of Chinese, Native American, and Indian peasantry as part of an academic exercise about 10 years ago. I'm almost certain that Eugene Anderson writes on it - probably in Ecologiews of the Heart. I think the Davis data is counting everybody in the country, and there are many urban/suburban Chinese who eat loads of eggs every day and would affect the numbers.

You told me you were taking a hiatus from the boards!
#29 Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

At first I thought, "WTF do I know this person?!" I didn't recognize you!

I only cut down, not out.
#30 Old 06-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

At first I thought, "WTF do I know this person?!" I didn't recognize you!

I only cut down, not out.

Yeah. They say that the camera puts an extra 3 inches of neck on a guy...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page