holistic hell & blood type diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I know I already posted this on teh ED thread...but I really need more input...

So I went to another hollistic doctor...

and he put me on an alkaline diet for a month and now the blood type diet because after doing a hair anylsis he found out I had too much copper in my body and this hsould fix it...

as a result I've lost 10 lbs and now weight 90 lbs and I'm 5'8.

Im more obsessive compulsive than ever, depressed, and mind boggled. Food rules my life yet again, what is on the "safe list" is constantly bothering me....

I have gotten off the laxatives (thank god) and I never thought that was possible...but other than that I'm going down hill....

He says I shouldnt eat ANY soy, and barely any fruit?!? how do I do that since I'm lactose intolerant (except yogurt seems to be okay...)? Plus the blood type diet he has me on says I should eat soy and fruit because its very beneficial to me...so who do I listen to? He also has me drinking a protein drink made from whey which the blood type diet says I should avoid....meh...

I like soy but now I'm paranoid to eat it...

And if you know anything of the blood type diet its quite restrictive (i'm type A), and this doesnt help me deal with my OCD food issues...

what do i do? sometimes the only foods taht sound good are on the bad list ( like sweet potatoes, fruits, wheat products, etc.)

I feel like this is all fuel for me old ED...blah!

I'm such a wreck and dont know what to do, or what doctor to listen to....meh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Hey..Big hugs..So sorry you are going though all of this stuff.

How about just listening to your own body and eating what you want. It sounds like being on such a strict controlled diet is too tough for you right now...How about getting some WW bread and having a big PBandJ sandwich and some fruits a veggies..I think your body needs more food.
#3 Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Baby Love

Honestly, it sounds like you need a completely different doctor. Its seems completely irresponsible for anyone to further restrict the food intake of someone of your size and ED history. You need a nutritionist that specializes in eating disorders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with birdwatcher. I think for now you should get some food inside you, any food you can tolerate. Big hugs sweetie, it sounds like you are going through an awful time right now.
#5 Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

It sounds like you're seeing a quack. No responsible doctor in his right mind would restrict someone with an ED history's diet in this way. Try to hang in there and only see reputable doctors who have experience with ED patients.
#6 Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Banned

scientifically, i beleive that the blood type diet is about as reliable as the hair colour diet, the innie/outie bellybutton diet, and the shoe size diet*.

i'd get a new doctor. even better, a veggie friendly highly qualified nutritionist/dietition, with lots and lots of experience of working with ED patients. in my completely amateur opinion, you probably really don't want to be limiting/restricting food, or having big long good and bad food lists, when you already have food issues that you're trying to recover from.

*somebody please remind me to invent the last 3 diets, and make a lot of money selling books about them to gulliable people.
#7 Old 04-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Well when I first went to him it was because of my IBS type issues...

and he really has helped a LOT of people. He's not a quack...he's actually very intelligent and not out to get your money or anything...

and when I first went to him I was starting to feel better (less bloated, moody, depressed, etc.) but after a month of improvement mood/bloated wise I started loosing weight...

And now I'm back down and onto the "blood type diet" which isnt so bad since I'm type A. However, like I said he contradicts certain things in the diet like Soy, Fruit, and urges me to eat some meat (chicken, fish)....

I started to eat a minimal amount of soy, fruit, and yogurt like I used to (all okay on the blood type diet) and continued to refrain from meat...

ever since this switch I have been EXTREMELY bloated. Does taht mean I'm doing the wrong thing by adding what my body is telling me to and not listen to his warnings on soy, vegetarianism, and the dangers of sugar in fruit?

Or does this mean that I'm going through the "refeeding" process again...because I know when I lost a lot of weight before (although I was NEVER this low) I felt quite like this when I started eating again...but I wasnt eating as many veggies/healthy stuff that time.

Is it refeeding...or is it a bad sign? I'm going to the see the doc tomorrow and that is going to be stressfull....since he's going to tell me not to eat the things that I want/are supposed to be good for me? And he's going to want me to eat meat...gah!

What should I do? Keep telling myself the bloating will get better? Or...try to change my diet again?????
#8 Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

If he subscribes to the blood type diet, he is indeed a quack. Sorry.
#9 Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 AM

Ages ago there was a chick here who threw away vegetarianism for the blood type diet and she was burned at the stake. I forget her name..but it was a big deal, that I do remember. People freaked.
#10 Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBlue27 View Post

Well when I first went to him it was because of my IBS type issues...

and he really has helped a LOT of people. He's not a quack...he's actually very intelligent and not out to get your money or anything...

and when I first went to him I was starting to feel better (less bloated, moody, depressed, etc.) but after a month of improvement mood/bloated wise I started loosing weight...

Many people start feeling better after going to quacks for several reasons- they possibly get better on their own, they get better because of the placebo effect, and/or they benefit from the individual care and attention these types give patients. It could also be because the alkaline or blood type diet is just healthier in general than what they ate before, or other reasons that have nothing to do with the theory behind these diets. And how many of these people were trying multiple cures for their problems and just gave credit to this practioner?

So I don't doubt many people who have seen him have gotten better. I just have no reason to think it was because of his alkaline or blood type diet.

As far as being out to get your money- he probably believes in the truth of what he's doing. But he's not doing it at cost. Even if he has good intentions, it's irresponsible (and possibly illegal) to treat people with health problems with bogus methods. Does he make you sign something that says his methods have not been approved by the FDA or does your state have a licensing process for this type of practitioner (and notice I didn't call him a doctor). You really should find out what your state laws say about this and if he's at least met these minimum requirements. What actual medical training does he have? It would be responsible for him to be able to recognize symptoms for serious diseases so he can refer people out to doctors who can help when it's in a patient's best interest.

If he believes in the blood type or alkaline/acid diets, he's a quack. If he believes in or promotes things that clearly have no scientific merit, he is a quack. It doesn't matter if people have gotten better or if he's really nice. How did he know you have too much copper, btw?

What research have you done? Have you asked him for references for blinded, controlled studies confirming his methods?
#11 Old 04-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post

Ages ago there was a chick here who threw away vegetarianism for the blood type diet and she was burned at the stake. I forget her name..but it was a big deal, that I do remember. People freaked.

Do you think of equipro's pro ER4BT statement in 2003? Actually she burned herself more than others did. There were lots of people, who tried to build golden bidges for her.

Anyway, it might clear the fact, that members react loudly, when it comes to the blood type diet.

I fully agree with eggplant and Thalia that Sugarblue27's doctor is promoting quack science.

And let me add to hoodedclawjen: the blood type diet is as valid as the eye colour diet.

Best is stay away from this types of diets. I would stay away from such a doctor, but maybe your octor-patient relationship already lasted very long and then you could discuss the issue with the input from VB.

I hope you'll get better soon, but I don't have a quick fix for your problem.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#12 Old 04-23-2007, 02:57 PM

Yeah, that was her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page